» France

Shaken But Never Sunk: Terror In Paris

Shaken But Never Sunk: Terror In Paris

By Sara Chatterjee Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International   PARIS, France – Ten months after the attacks on Charlie Hebdo, Paris came under siege again after shootings shook the city in four different neighborhoods and at least two bombs exploded at the national football stadium in St. Denis last night. As the night went on and the worst attack on France since World War II unfolded, terrorists took people inside the Bataclan, a renowned theatre in the heart of Paris, hostage … Read entire article »

Filed under: France, Paris, Sara Chatterjee, terrorism

Free Speech: Standing With Charlie Hebdo

From the website of the Embassy of France in Washington, D.C. By Robert Mooney Reporter Youth Journalism International RICHMOND, North Yorkshire, UK – As about 40 world leaders march along with hundreds of thousands of people in Paris today to honor the victims of the Charlie Hebdo assault, it is not clear what can be done to prevent future attacks. As France and the rest of the world mourn the victims, the three days of terror must serve as a wakeup call that … Read entire article »

Filed under: France, free speech, North Yorkshire, opinion, Paris, Richmond, Robert Mooney, terrorism, UK

Offensive Speech Like That At Charlie Hebdo Needs Protection Most Of All

By Kyle Schaff Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – As the world reflects on the Charlie Hebdo massacre – now that three suspects are dead and another additional five innocents murdered – people will undoubtedly place part of the blame on the satirical newspaper for its provocative satire. They’ll point out that Charlie Hebdo has received death threats for years and had even been firebombed back in 2011. They’ll argue that if the French journalists … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, France, free speech, freedom, journalism, Kyle Schaff, opinion, U.S.A., West Hartford

Honoring Veterans, Revisiting Normandy

Honoring Veterans, Revisiting Normandy

On Veterans Day, 70 years after the D-Day invasion, let’s revisit a 2005 piece by an Irish student, Niamh Ni Mhaoileoin, who visited the military cemeteries at Normandy and offered insight about what she saw and felt: Niamh Ni Mhaoileoin / youthjournalism.org One of the cemeteries at Normandy. No soldier deserves to die It was seven o’clock on an uncharacteristically grey and cool morning in Normandy and the biting wind was causing an empty flagpole to rattle eerily in … Read entire article »

Filed under: France, Germany, Ireland, Niamh Ni Mhaoileoin, Normandy, United States, Veterans Day, War, World War II

An American In Paris: Shattering Stereotypes

Kaley Willis / youthjournalism.org Paris sprawls below in the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower By Kaley Willis Reporter Youth Journalism International PARIS, France – When one thinks of France, they may think of men with curly mustaches and berets, puffy poodles walking along the sides of the Eiffel Tower, and rude American-hating Parisians parading around with baguettes. Kaley Willis / youthjournalism.org The Eiffel Tower During the past Thanksgiving break, I found myself in the heart of France busting quite a … Read entire article »

Filed under: dance, Disneyland, Eiffel Tower, France, Houma, Kaley Willis, Louisiana, Paris, Sulphur

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Caroline Nelissen / youthjournalism.org Fireworks behind the Eiffel Tower in Paris Two years ago, YJI Senior Reporter Caroline Nelissen from the Netherlands celebrated Bastille Day in Paris, France and shared her photographs with readers. Take a look at the rest of them. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bastille Day, Caroline Nelissen, France, Holidays, Paris, the Netherlands

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Happy Bastille Day!

Descoings Changed Sciences Po From Elite French School To International University

Photo courtesy Rémi Gérard Richard Descoings, director of Sciences Po,  in his element, surrounded by students By Sara Chatterjee Reporter Youth Journalism International LE HAVRE, France – Students and staff of Sciences Po awoke Wednesday morning to the huge shock of the death of Richard Descoings: academician, State Council member, college director, and –  many would say – visionary.   Sciences Po, a prestigious French university that is considered a training ground for future politicians and administrators, was profoundly transformed by Descoings … Read entire article »

Filed under: France, Le Havre, Richard Descoings, Sara Chatterjee, Sciences Po