» United Kingdom

Brexit is personal to Polish student in UK

Parliament. Photo by Yelena Samofalova/youthjournalism.org By Joanna Koter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International   WHITBY, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom – I woke up on Friday, June 24 to take my math exam and headed for the bathroom to brush my teeth. I saw my friend, who is Polish too, and lives in the same boarding house. She says to me, “Do you want to hear the news?” I see her face and I instantly know the results of the voting that … Read entire article »

Filed under: England, European Union, Immigration, Joanna Koter, Poland, United Kingdom, voting

Bike Race Brings Excitement To Yorkshire

By Asia Koter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International FYLINGDALES, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom – My boarding school is in a small village where rarely anything happens. It’s no surprise then, that the first Tour de Yorkshire, held early this month, was the biggest event in recent memory. Everyone was so excited that the headmaster decided to cancel afternoon lessons and the whole school went to see the race, which had been in the headlines all over the UK for … Read entire article »

Filed under: Asia Koter, Bicycling, United Kingdom

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon Excites Crowds Before UK Election

By Robert Guthrie Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUMFRIES, Scotland – In a recent visit, Scotland’s leader, alongside the nation’s most important group of politicians connected with voters in Dumfries and listened to the public ahead of next month’s general election in the United Kingdom. In keeping her vow of being the ‘most accessible’ first minister ever, Nicola Sturgeon, the member of Scottish Parliament who leads the Scottish National Party and The Scottish Government, visited The Easterbrook Hall in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Robert Guthrie, Scotland, United Kingdom

Excitement Building Among Rugby Fans

Excitement Building Among Rugby Fans

By Felicity Rodger Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International EDINBURGH, United Kingdom – A game of passion, rivalry and pride, rugby is loved by fans across the world. Every four years, these fans gather to witness the greats of the sport battle to win the Webb Ellis Cup, named for a young English school boy who is credited with creating rugby.This competition is the equivalent of the FIFA World Cup for a footballer or the Olympics for a sprinter – … Read entire article »

Filed under: Edinburgh, Felicity Rodger, opinion, rugby, sports, United Kingdom, World Cup

She’s ‘Divergent’ On ‘Insurgent,’ But Ultimately Finds Sequel Enjoyable

Publicity photo from the Divergent Series Facebook page By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – Nowadays there seems to be a theme running throughout Hollywood. Movie producers have figured out that if you take a popular young adult novel and turn it into a film, along comes a pre-made fan base, and therefore many bodies to fill up cinema seats. When it came to viewing Insurgent, the second installment of the dystopian Divergentseries based on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, film review, Lauren Pope, movie review, movies, review, reviews, United Kingdom

Victims In Paris Attack Are Wrongly Being Used Worldwide As Political Pawns

By Emily Couch Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International COTLEIGH, Devon, England – Seventeen individuals died during Paris’s horrific three days of terror, 17 people from families who each mourn the loss of a father, son, daughter or relation. Whatever the circumstances, death is shattering for those left behind.  With this in mind, I want to pose a question: how would you feel if your loved one was lost under that weighty millstone, the symbolism of his … Read entire article »

Filed under: Al Qaeda, Cotleigh, Devon, Emily Couch, free speech, Islam, journalism, Muslims, terrorism, U.K., United Kingdom

Theater Makes A WWI Truce Come To Life

Theater Makes A WWI Truce Come To Life

Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org One of the Christmas displays in Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of William Shakespeare. By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, England – In honor of this year’s centenary anniversary of World War I, the Royal Shakespeare Company put on a production of “The Christmas Truce.” Described by a reviewer for The Telegraph as ‘respectful, insightful, powerful,’ we were all expecting great things. Set in 1914, the play followed a handful of soldiers as they prepare themselves for … Read entire article »

Filed under: Christmas, Christmas Around the World, England, Lauren Pope, peace, reviews, Stratford-Upon-Avon, theater, theater review, United Kingdom, War, William Shakespeare, World War I

Pakistan School Attack: How Should We Respond To Those Who Speak In Violence?

By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – Today in Pakistan the Taliban struck again, with the same merciless manner some have been forced to know all too well. While many across the world went about their daily lives, studying their different subjects and conversing with friends, others were not so lucky. The most recent reports say 132 children and nine staff members were killed at a school in Peshawar. If my classmates and I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, Lauren Pope, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Peshawar, Taliban, terrorism, United Kingdom

Don’t Expect Much From ‘Mockingjay’ And You Might Not Be Disappointed

Mockingjay publicity photo By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – As a fan of The Hunger Games trilogy, I had long awaited and much anticipated MockingjayPart 1. A whole year’s worth of anticipation, in fact, but as much as I hate to admit it, the first half of the third installment to the series wasn’t all that great. The film begins just after where Catching Fire– the previous movie – left off, showing Katniss Everdeen … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, Lauren Pope, movie review, movies, The Hunger Games, U.K., United Kingdom

Carving Lesson: Pumpkins Are Orange, But Oranges Are Not Pumpkins

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org Without an available pumpkin to carve, YJI’s Myah Guild took a knife to an orange, with somewhat impressive results. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedforshire, England – October 31st is always an interesting day in Britain. A lot of the time, you forget what it means, and then, on the train home, you take a glance over to the person next to you, and realize it’s a ghost, Grim Reaper or Devil. It’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Halloween, Holidays, Myah Guild, U.K., United Kingdom

Halloween? Meh. It’s Just Another Day

Halloween? Meh. It’s Just Another Day

By Lauren Pope Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – October 31st has never been a particularly exciting day of the year for me. I have never regarded Halloween as much more than the last day of October. Maybe this is because I didn’t grow up annually celebrating Halloween, but this holiday never really held any appeal for me. I can recall attending a Halloween party once, when I was about seven, but aside from that,  all … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, Halloween, Holidays, Lauren Pope, UK, United Kingdom

Halloween? Meh. It’s Just Another Day

Halloween? Meh. It’s Just Another Day

Scotland Voted No. Will Westminster Now Keep Its Promise About Sharing Power?

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – After years of debate, emotion and drama, Scotland voted No in Thursday’s independence referendum. The vote, reported early Friday, means Scotland will remain a part of the United Kingdom. In what was expected to be one of the closest run polls the country has ever seen, the Unionists clinched it with 55 percent of the vote compared to 45 percent for those who wanted Scotland to be an … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, elections, England, Myah Guild, Scotland, United Kingdom, voting

Iceland’s Black Sand Beaches, Heated Sidewalks And Breathtaking Beauty

By Martina Ghinetti Reporter  Youth Journalism International REYKJAVIK, Iceland – If in Istanbul you can be in Europe and Asia at the same time, where can you be in Europe and North America at the same time? Iceland! After studying coastal and river systems for a year, I had the chance to travel from my school in England to Iceland with five geography classmates for six days over the summer to see examples up close. Our … Read entire article »

Filed under: Iceland, Italy, Martina Ghinetti, Reykjavik, travel, United Kingdom

Thousands Mourn MH 17 Crash Victims With Silent March In Streets Of Amsterdam

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org A crowd marches silently in tribute to the victims of the MH 17 plane crash. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands – A large crowd took to the streets in Amsterdam this evening in tribute to those who died aboard the Malaysian Airlines MH 17 plane that was shot down over Ukraine last week. Today, as the first bodies arrived from Ukraine, was a National Day of Mourning in the Netherlands. Of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amsterdam, Myah Guild, Netherlands, peaceful protest, United Kingdom