» youthjournalism.org

Here are the winners of the 2017 YJI youth journalism contest

WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, USA – In a year when journalists have been hailed and harassed with equal fervor, Youth Journalism International can safely assure everyone there’s a great new generation of reporters ready to take the field. This year’s contest for teen journalists, now in its eighth year, attracted astonishing work from hundreds of students around the globe. Those earning awards represent nine countries on five continents as well as 20 U.S. states. The top winners include … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

When Alex Briner ran away

When Alex Briner ran away

From our archives October 24, 2005 — Journal — By Zach Brokenrope Nothing ever happens in Aurora, Nebraska. So when Alex Briner ran away, it was big news. “I heard he ran away in the middle of the night, stole his old man’s car.” “No way dude, he hitchhiked to GI and took a bus.” “I hear he’s one of those Wal-Mart kids; you know, the ones with their pictures in the entrance.” Gossip flew, and by the end of the first week … Read entire article »

Filed under: youthjournalism.org

It’s time to enter the 2017 YJI Journalism Contest

Now in its eighth year, Youth Journalism International’s annual contest for student reporters, editors, photographers and others involved in journalism offers a great chance to win recognition for stellar work done during the 2016 calendar year. The top winners come away with amazing crystal trophies and every winner receives a custom-made certificate. You can easily look through the list of winners from earlier years to get an idea of the scope of categories and what kinds … Read entire article »

Filed under: youthjournalism.org

America will rise to the challenge

America will rise to the challenge

By Kaishi Lee Youth Journalism International SINGAPORE — (September 11, 2001) Let’s face it. America’s in a frenzy after another terrorist attack. Now, why, of all countries, did terrorists choose America? Is it America being a world superpower? Jealousy or Uncle Sam poking his sharp nose into every corner? America is like a giant filtration machine. American brand names like Coca-Cola, Levi’s and McDonald’s can be found from Libya to London. However, the world generally has mixed reactions towards America. America is … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Kaishi Lee, Singapore, terrorism, youthjournalism.org

YJI Announces 2016 Journalism Contest Winners

Congratulations to the winners in this year’s Excellence in Journalism Contest, which Youth Journalism International has sponsored for seven years. You can see the winner’s list here.  Students winning the top honors will receive individually engraved crystal trophies. All the winners will get specially made award certificates. We saw lots of wonderful student work this year, including some that didn’t come out on top when judges took a look at hundreds of entries. We hope to provide links … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, journalism, journalism contest, YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

Journalism Contest Honors Youth Worldwide

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists from across the globe took home prizes in the Youth Journalism International 2015 Excellence in Journalism contest. Annie Schugart, a standout editor for a suburban Kansas City high school paper who’s now a freshman at Harvard University, took top honors as this year’s Student Journalist of the Year. Competition was stiff in nearly every category, with more than 130 awards in about three dozen categories going to … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest, Youth Journalism International, youthjournalism.org

Winners From Around The World In YJI’s 2014 Excellence In Journalism Contest

Crystal trophies went to the winners of the top four categories in Youth Journalism International’s  2014 Excellence in Journalism contest. WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists from nine nations captured awards in the Youth Journalism International 2014 Excellence in Journalism contest.  “It’s inspiring to see so much promise from young journalists around the world,”   said YJI’s Executive Director Jackie Majerus. “We’re excited to be able to recognize it with this contest.” Maureen Langley Maureen Langley … Read entire article »

Filed under: 2014 Excellence in Journalism contest, Emily Munoz, Maureen Langley, Michelle Harmon, Nawall Hassan, YJI contest, Youth Journalism International, youthjournalism.org

Youth Issues To Be Part Of A New Nigeria

By Linus Okechukwu and Festus Iyorah Reporters Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu, Nigeria – Youth interests must be part of Nigeria’s national rebirth and transformation, former Vice President Atiku Abubakar said at a journalism education conference this week. Abubakar called on the media and society to help advance those interests. “We must help our youth to find their part in this world or the one they will help to create, and help them follow that part with enthusiasm, commitment, fidelity … Read entire article »

Filed under: Festus Iyorah, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, youthjournalism.org

#GivingTuesday is a great day to help YJI!

We’re one of GreatNonProfit.com’s Top-Rated charities, a Microsoft YouthSpark choice and a darn great organization for young people to flourish all over the world. If you can help us, please do! www.HelpYJI.org or click on the donate link above. … Read entire article »

Filed under: youthjournalism.org

YJI Returns to ESPN

YJI Returns to ESPN

Reporter Rae Martin is at ESPN today. Watch for more. … Read entire article »

Filed under: youthjournalism.org

YJI Returns to ESPN

YJI Returns to ESPN

Filed under: youthjournalism.org

Youth Journalism Contest Winners Announced

The results of Youth Journalism International’s 2013 Excellence in Journalism contest are, at last, complete. You can see a complete list of all the winners by clicking on this link. We were wowed by the work that so many student journalists are doing all over the world. It was hard to pick the best, but the more than 20 judges involved did their best. Thanks to everyone who entered. We’re so glad that many talented young people … Read entire article »

Filed under: youthjournalism.org

Today Only, Do A Quick Survey To Help YJI

If you’re in the United States, you can help Youth Journalism International raise $2,000 by signing up for www.mymoneycheckup.org.  This is a new financial awareness site from the renowned National Foundation for Credit Counseling. To participate, you fill in a survey that takes about 10 minutes to complete. In the process, you may learn something about your own personal finances or about how financially savvy you are. YJI will receive $2,000 dollars if we reach 2,000 sign-ups from people … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI, youthjournalism.org

Filed under: YJI, youthjournalism.org

Leaving The City And Discovering Sipi Falls; So Much Beauty In The Ugandan Countryside

Bwette Daniel Gilbert / youthjournalism.org A scene in the Eastern Ugandan countryside where the Sabiny tribe lives in traditional mud homes.   By Bwette Daniel Gilbert Reporter Youth Journalism International KAPCHORWA, Uganda – I traveled recently to Eastern Uganda with Balabyekkubo Stansilas, a legendary hip hop artist. A pioneer of the luga flow music movement in Uganda, he uses the stage name Babaluku. Luga  flow is indigenous Ugandan hip hop music. It was created by the hip hop group called Bataka Squad, together … Read entire article »

Filed under: youthjournalism.org