» Egypt

Grieving For Paris, Fearing An Aftermath

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – I am in bed, listening to music and getting ready to get some sleep when I come across the news. Paris is “under attack.” It doesn’t register, and the more I search for news, the more it didn’t make any sense. Everyone seems as confused as I am. There are terrorist attacks on Paris that vary between bombings, explosions and straight out shootings, depending on the report. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Lama Tawakkol, Paris, terrorism

Stunning Sunset At The Egyptian Shore

Stunning Sunset At The Egyptian Shore

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org A view of the setting sun and rising moon from the Aida private Mediterranean beach in Montazah, Alexandria, Egypt. Calm waves were hitting the shore, the golden sand sparkled under the fading sun and a boat sailed away in the distance. ***  Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, photography

Teen In Gaza: I Lost All Of The Hopes I Had

Salama S. Salama / youthjournalism.org A street in Khanyounis, a city in the southern part of the Gaza Strip. By Ahmed Zaqout Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International KHANYOUNIS, Gaza Strip – I used to think I suffered a lot compared to other teenagers across the world. Lately, though, I realized I didn’t fully know the true meaning of suffering. At first, it was a siege. Because Gaza is confined by a closed border with Egypt on one end and Israel on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ahmed Zaqout, bombing, Egypt, Gaza Strip, Israel, Khanyounis, Palestine, Salama S. Salama, War

Best Way To Feel Good? Do Good

Best Way To Feel Good? Do Good

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org Couples at a recent charity wedding for orphans in Alexandria, Egypt. By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – You know those days when you wake up feeling like crap? When you’d rather stay at home and do nothing? I woke up one day not long ago, not feeling that great and I thought about missing the charity event I was invited to attend. It was a group wedding for five couples, all orphans … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, Rotaract

Egypt: Back To (Tahrir) Square One

Egypt: Back To (Tahrir) Square One

By Robert Mooney Reporter Youth Journalism International RICHMOND, North Yorkshire, UK – From an outsider’s point of view, Egypt seems to be a country that can’t decide. Almost a year since Egypt’s first democratically elected president came into power, Egyptians have gone back to Tahrir Square, among other locations, to protest once again. I see that many of President Mohamed Morsi’s promises weren’t met, but it was the people’s choice to elect him. So we are back to square … Read entire article »

Filed under: democracy, Egypt, North Yorkshire, peaceful protest, protest, revolution, Richmond, Robert Mooney, Tahrir Square, UK

Happy Egyptians Celebrate Morsi’s Ouster

By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt — After four days of continuous effort and determination, all our demands are finally met In the crowds gathered in the Sidi Gaber neighborhood in Alexandria, we heard the military had issued a travel ban on President Mohamed Morsi and some of the Muslim Brotherhood. It also barred him from making political decisions. We’d been waiting for hours for the military’s speech before learning that Morsi is no longer our … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, Morsi

Egyptians Filled With Hope As Deadline Nears

By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Millions of Egyptians out there in the streets, standing firm and showing more determination than ever to achieve what they started this revolution for in the first placeAs part of the crowd of protesters in the Sidi Gaber neighborhood, I couldn’t have felt more honored to walk among the people.Protests just keep getting more crowded every day because people want to make a change.They cheered, sang and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, revolution

Never-Ending Revolutionary Revival In Egypt

Protests in Alexandria on Sunday. (Dina El Halawany/YJI) By Jessica Elsayed Associate Editor YouthJournalism International COLUMBUS, Ohio — The long anticipated 30th of June is here and people all over the world are watching, including myself on an online live stream of Egyptian channels (Some channels through nine different split screens), Twitter and Facebook newsfeeds of friends already there. Reporters have been describing the protests in the millions, as the biggest in the history of Egypt, even bigger … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Jessica Elsayed, Morsi, Muslim Brotherhood

Egyptians Protesters Want A New President

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org Protesters in the streets of Alexandria, Egypt, on Sunday.  By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – People are gathering in front of the train station in the Sidi Gaber section of the city, demanding that President Mohamed Morsi leave office. Holding Egyptian flags and signs asking the president to leave, the crowd seems hopeful, strong and determined. The event is peaceful, and participants are kind and helpful. I felt safe there. Everyone … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, democracy, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, peaceful protest, protests

Egypt Rises Again, For ‘Safety And Freedom’

youthjournalism.org Protesters in Alexandria, Egypt on Sunday   By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Here we are on the 30th of June, an exceptional day where, finally, a beam of light will shine through the darkness. It’s not only the beginning of a new revolution, but also the day we’ve been impatiently waiting for. The name of this revolution is “Rebel,” which began as a campaign which was launched in late April by members of the opposition in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, peaceful protest, protest, protests

youthjournalism.org Protesters in Alexandria, Egypt on Sunday By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Here we are on the 30th of June, an exceptional day where, finally, a beam of light will shine through the darkness.It’s not only the beginning of a new revolution, but also the day we’ve been impatiently waiting for. The name of this revolution is “Rebel,” which began as a campaign which was launched in late April by members of the opposition in … Read entire article »

‘Courage In Journalism’ Winner Is A New YJI Editor, Will Assist Students Worldwide

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International is tapping the talents of an accomplished alum as a new editor this summer.  YJI named Jessica Elsayed, a student at Denison University in Ohio, as an Associate Editor Friday.  Elsayed, who began writing for YJI in early 2010, quickly rose to prominence within the organization as she covered the Egyptian revolution from her hometown of Alexandria, on Egypt’s Mediterranean coast.  Her stellar work earned her YJI’s first Courage in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dennison University, Egypt, Jackie Majerus, Jessica Elsayed, youth journalism

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are

Shopping.Dina El Halawany/YouthJournalism.org By Dina El Halawany Junior Reporter YouthJournalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Are you one of the people cursed with fashion addiction? Do you spend countless hours following fashion news and shopping for the perfect outfits? If so, then you obviously don’t know what fashion really is. Fashion is a trend with no rules. It depends on each individual’s personal style. It is the way you express yourself to the world and it’s affected by both your mood … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, fashion, shopping

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are