» photography

Prizewinning photojournalists tell how work can stand out in a sea of instant images

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAPEVINE, Texas, U.S.A. – It is a common saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. And it is – regardless of what language you speak, the religion you take faith in, or the part of the world you reside. At the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference outside of Dallas, Texas, four Pulitzer Prize winners spoke about their international experiences with photojournalism and offered advice to fellow photographers. The four panelists – Smiley … Read entire article »

Filed under: Carol Guzy, Garret Reich, journalism, Mayborn, Mayborn Conference, photography, Pulitzer Prize\, Texas, YJI Students

Night Train: Tambaram Station, Chennai

Night Train: Tambaram Station, Chennai

Jereme Kennedy / youthjournalism.org Two views of the Tambaram railway station in the city of Chennai, India.  *** Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Chennai, India, Jereme Kennedy, photography, train

Peaceful Spring Warmth At Old Hickory Lake

Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org In Hendersonville, Tennessee, the calm waters of Old Hickory Lake Monday evening. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee on Monday evening. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org Sunset on Monday at Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org Signs of peace are everywhere at Old Hickory Lake. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org On the bank of Old Hickory Lake in Hendersonville, Tennessee. Olivia Wright / youthjournalism.org The sunset’s hues turn pink and purple Monday evening at Old Hickory … Read entire article »

Filed under: Hendersonville, nature, Olivia Wright, photography, Tennessee, U.S.A.

Hill-Stead Museum Is A Winter Work Of Art

Zhang Xinxin / youthjournalism.org Large icicles hang from the front of the Hill-Stead Museum in Farmington, Conn. on Wednesday. The museum is home to world class art, including many works from the Impressionists. Wang Xindi / youthjournalism.org Visitors get a snowy welcome to the Hill-Stead. Zhang Xinxin / youthjournalism.org The stone walls on the Hill-Stead property are now covered in snow. Wang Xindi / youthjournalism.org The long drive gives the visitor a sense of grandeur, but does not convey the priceless art … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Farmington, Hill-Stead Museum, museums, photography, Wang Xindi, winter, Zhang Xinxin

FBI Artifacts, The Berlin Wall, Unabomber Cabin And More – The Newseum Has It All

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org An open air balcony on the top floor of the Newseum offers a spectacular view of the U.S. Capitol. The flags of the Canadian embassy hang from the building next door. By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – With exhibits that included a piece of the Berlin Wall and others that focused on 9/11 and years of Pulitzer Prize-winning photos, it’s tough to make it through a fraction of the displays at the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Berlin Wall, D.C., journalism, Mugdha Gurram, Newseum, photography, Washington

Stunning Sunset At The Egyptian Shore

Stunning Sunset At The Egyptian Shore

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org A view of the setting sun and rising moon from the Aida private Mediterranean beach in Montazah, Alexandria, Egypt. Calm waves were hitting the shore, the golden sand sparkled under the fading sun and a boat sailed away in the distance. ***  Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, photography

Nature’s Paintbrush At Work In Connecticut

Francis Byrne / youthjournalism.org A small aircraft makes its way through an azure colored sky which backdrops the yellow-greens of a Sugar Maple. Francis Byrne / youthjouranalism.org The fall colors are at their peak in Central Connecticut as the sun shines through the leaves of a Sugar Maple and a Japanese Dwarf Maple. And below, in two more photos by Francis Byrne, leaves  with shades of yellow that are highliter-esque drape themselves over this garage in residential West Hartford. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Francis Byrne, nature, photography

Francis Byrne / youthjournalism.org A small aircraft makes its way through an azure colored sky which backdrops the yellow-greens of a Sugar Maple. Francis Byrne / youthjouranalism.org The fall colors are at their peak in Central Connecticut as the sun shines through the leaves of a Sugar Maple and a Japanese Dwarf Maple.     And below, in two more photos by Francis Byrne, leaves  with shades of yellow that are highliter-esque drape themselves over this garage in residential West Hartford.     … Read entire article »

Young People In Brazil Protest In The Streets

Police and protesters clash in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Slideshow of more photos of protests in Sao Paulo, Brazil         By Vinicius Ferreira  Reporter and Photographer  Youth Journalism International    CURITIBA, BRAZIL – For the first time in more than 20 years, young people are waking up to protest for their rights. Protester injured by tear gas in Sao Paulo.     Following the Arab Spring and growing unrest in Turkey, Brazilians are rising as well to push for a better life. Many are unhappy with the high cost … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, photography, protests, Riots, Sao Paulo

Winter Sets In At The Reservoir

Winter Sets In At The Reservoir

Youth Journalism International photographer Francis Byrne went exploring with his camera in the West Hartford, Connecticut reservoir recently and came back with these images. Francis Byrne / youthjournalism.org Francis Byrne / youthjournalism.org Francis Byrne / youthjournalism.org Francis Byrne / youthjournalism.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Francis Byrne, nature, photography, reservoir, U.S.A., West Hartford

Winter Sets In At The Reservoir

Winter Sets In At The Reservoir

Winter Sets In At The Reservoir

Winter Sets In At The Reservoir

‘Lighting’ Bolt Not Too Fast For YJI

‘Lighting’ Bolt Not Too Fast For YJI

As we approach the finals of the 100-meter dash at the London Olympics, let’s take a look back at Youth Journalism International’s coverage of Usain Bolt, the Jamaican sprinter who won the title of the world’s fastest man at the last Olympics in China… Kiernan Majerus-Collins/youthjournalism.org Usain Bolt, the fastest man at the Beijing Olympics in 2008 Back in 2008, as the Beijing Olympics drew to a close, Youth Journalism International’s Tamara Miller wrote with pride about the … Read entire article »

Filed under: 100 meter run, ESPN, Jamaica, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Olympics, photography, Tamara Miller, Usain Bolt

‘Lighting’ Bolt Not Too Fast For YJI

‘Lighting’ Bolt Not Too Fast For YJI