» gay pride

After Orlando killings, gay teen is scared and sad, but ‘more on fire than ever before’

By O.D. Wright Reporter Youth Journalism International NASHVILLE, Tenn., U.S.A. – It was past midnight and I was talking on the phone with a young woman I’ve had a crush on for a while now. She was working night shift, and I’d stay up any hour to lose myself in conversation with her.  The whole time she talked about boys, her current heartbreaks and crushes.  It did hurt a little, but it was worth talking about if it … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay pride, human rights, LGBTQ, Nashville, Orlando, sexuality, Tennessee, terrorism

Muslim American teen grieves with Orlando

By Diana Awawdeh Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TINLEY PARK, Illinois, U.S.A. – The attack early Sunday at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history – is affecting everyone all over the country. As a Muslim American, I am disgusted by the behavior of the shooter, Omar Mateen and ISIS. Islam is a religion of peace and does not deal with any violence. ISIS and its supporters use Islam as an excuse … Read entire article »

Filed under: bigotry, Diane Awawdeh, gay pride, human rights, Islam, Muslim-American, Muslims, Orlando, religion, religious freedom, terrorism, Tinley Park

Florida youth react to terrorist attack on Pulse, an Orlando gay nightclub

By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International MIAMI, Florida, U.S.A. – Shocked at the mass shooting at Pulse, a popular Orlando gay nightclub early Sunday, two young workers in Miami were also upset how the media was covering the shooting situation. “At first I didn’t know how to react to the shooting, just because of the fact that the way the news were reporting the story was one-sided,” said Ashley Hernandez, 21. Early Sunday morning, a gunman opened fire … Read entire article »

Filed under: Florida, gay pride, Gay rights, Maria Luiza Lago, Orlando, terrorism, YJI Students

America Lives Up To Promise Of Equality With Supreme Court Gay Marriage Ruling

By Mugdha Gurram Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Today is a day that has been long awaited in America, and one that will be long be remembered in history books as one where the United States truly lived up to its promise of freedom and equality. In a ruling announced today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in favor of reversing the judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, making same-sex … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, Mugdha Gurram

Supreme Court’s Marriage Equality Ruling Reflects National Mood On Gay Rights

By Eli Winter Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A.  – A U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states caps off an historic time for the nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens. In a decision released Friday, justices voted 5-4 that gay marriage is legal nationwide. Media coverage generally reflected American society’s increasing support of LGBT issues, but remained sharply divided in some circles. Evidence of the gradual acceptance of transgender Americans’ into mainstream … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, US Supreme Court

Not All Chinese Embrace Valentine’s Day – Gay Couples Can’t Celebrate The Holiday

By Yiping Holly Wang Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ZHUHAI, Guangdong, China – A couple of years ago, if one mentioned “Valentine’s Day” in China, people would unhesitatingly refer to Chinese Valentine’s Day, as we called Qixi Festival, a name that in Chinese means “night of sevens.” Qixi Festival is on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month in the Chinese calendar. According to the old folktale, the secret lovers Niu Lang and Zhi Nu are allowed to … Read entire article »

Filed under: China, gay pride, Guangdong, Holidays, human rights, Valentine's Day, Yiping Holly Wang, Zhuhai

Supreme Court’s Ruling Is A Step Forward

By Aiman Jarrar  Junior Reporter  Youth Journalism International  GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan, U.S.A. – Wednesday marked a historic victory for the gay community and liberals everywhere when the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that same sex couples who are married are guaranteed the same benefits as heterosexual couples.  The court also ruled that California’s law prohibiting same sex marriage is unconstitutional.  It is a remarkable step forward in guaranteeing the same civil rights in regards to marriage for all … Read entire article »

Filed under: Aiman Jarrar, gay pride, Grand Rapids, Michigan, U.S.A.

By Aiman Jarrar Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan, U.S.A. – Wednesday marked a historic victory for the gay community and liberals everywhere when the Supreme Court of the United States ruled that same sex couples who are married are guaranteed the same benefits as heterosexual couples. The court also ruled that California’s law prohibiting same sex marriage is unconstitutional. It is a remarkable step forward in guaranteeing the same civil rights in regards to marriage for … Read entire article »

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Caroline Nelissen / youthjournalism.org Flags flew high for the Pride parade Saturday in Amsterdam By Caroline Nelissen Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands –  A lively collection of floating craft formed today’s Amsterdam Canal Parade. This annual parade, where colorfully decorated boats make their way through the city’s canals, is part of the Amsterdam Gay Pride event, which celebrates the diversity of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people from all walks of life. Unlike in many other cities, the Gay … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amsterdam, Caroline Nelissen, gay pride, LGBT, parade, the Netherlands

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam

Pride Parade Floats Through Amsterdam