» Florida

Florida youth react to terrorist attack on Pulse, an Orlando gay nightclub

By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International MIAMI, Florida, U.S.A. – Shocked at the mass shooting at Pulse, a popular Orlando gay nightclub early Sunday, two young workers in Miami were also upset how the media was covering the shooting situation. “At first I didn’t know how to react to the shooting, just because of the fact that the way the news were reporting the story was one-sided,” said Ashley Hernandez, 21. Early Sunday morning, a gunman opened fire … Read entire article »

Filed under: Florida, gay pride, Gay rights, Maria Luiza Lago, Orlando, terrorism, YJI Students

SAT Not A Fair Judge For College Placement

By Cresonia Hsieh Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DELRAY BEACH, Florida, U.S.A. – Upon entering the barren classroom, anxiety runs high as students’ sharpened No. 2 pencils and calculators quiver and shake. For the test is merciless, unrelenting, and unfortunately, is a major determinate in their future. After a lifetime of schooling and months of subject-specific preparation, the day has finally arrived for the ultimate test of fate. On this particular day, hundreds of thousands of students from all over … Read entire article »

Filed under: college, Cresonia Hsieh, Delray Beach, Florida, SAT, testing

Cleavage-Revealing Costumes Cheapen Halloween And Women Who Wear Them

By Cresonia Hsieh Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DELRAY BEACH, Florida – It’s that time of the year when pumpkins are carved, candy is freely given out, toddler girls transform into Disney princesses, but most of all, it’s that time of year when innocent professions and adorable animals are adulterated. Only in America would the young “ladies” of a nation turn a favorite childhood holiday into an excuse to purchase the most promiscuous outfit from Party City that … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cresonia Hsieh, Delray Beach, Florida, Halloween, Holidays

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Alli Hall / youthjournalism.org Republicans celebrate with balloons and confetti at the close of the convention  By Alli Hall Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TAMPA, Florida – The speech the world and I had been waiting for all week was Mitt Romney’s. Romney, who this week officially became the Republican Party’s nominee for president, was serious at times, funny at other times, but all the time he was down to earth, and full of love for our country. At the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alli Hall, Duluth, Florida, GOP, Minnesota, Mitt Romney, Republican National Convention, Republicans, RNC, Tampa

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Romney Speech Caps Unforgettable Week

Republican Convention: A Kid’s Point Of View

Alli Hall / youthjournalism.org Arizona Sen. John McCain addresses the Republican National Convention By Alli Hall Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TAMPA, Florida – There was another morning breakfast Wednesday, but sadly I did not attend, because our bus did arrive at the hotel until 2 a.m. and I wasn’t quite in the mood to get up at 7:30 a.m. I’m a little bummed out because I missed the opportunity to meet Florida Sen. Marco Rubio. I did wake up later … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alli Hall, Florida, GOP, John McCain, Minnesota, Mitt Romney, Republican National Convention, Republicans, RNC, Tampa