» elections

Bernie Sanders In Iowa: Participants Of Democracy Will Shape The Future

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International UNDERWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – America’s future will be determined by those who take part in the democratic process, U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders said at a campaign stop Tuesday. Sanders, a senator from Vermont who running for U.S. president, said he is very proud to have young people involved in his campaign. Asked what he would say to the youth of the country who don’t believe they are obligated to get involved … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bernie Sanders, elections, Garrett Reich, Iowa, Iowa Caucus

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon Excites Crowds Before UK Election

By Robert Guthrie Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUMFRIES, Scotland – In a recent visit, Scotland’s leader, alongside the nation’s most important group of politicians connected with voters in Dumfries and listened to the public ahead of next month’s general election in the United Kingdom. In keeping her vow of being the ‘most accessible’ first minister ever, Nicola Sturgeon, the member of Scottish Parliament who leads the Scottish National Party and The Scottish Government, visited The Easterbrook Hall in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Robert Guthrie, Scotland, United Kingdom

Democracy In Nigeria Evident From President Jonathan’s Gracious Exit

By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU, Enugu State, Nigeria – It’s not every day that one wakes with a deep sense of trepidation hanging over the very air one breathes. Some days, one wakes to a beautiful morning laced with happiness and goes to bed in the same mood. We’ve been glued to the TV for two days now, doing nothing but mathematical additions to figures reeled out by the Independent National Electoral Commission – the … Read entire article »

Filed under: democracy, Election Day, elections, Enugu, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, politics, presidential election

I Was There, Watching Thousands Of Nigerians Flock To The Polls To Vote

Linus Okechukwu / youthjournalism.org The boxes used for casting votes. One is for the presidency and two are for parliamentary positions. By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU STATE, Nigeria – Travelling through different regions within Enugu state today, I saw a large number of voters – tens of thousands of them – crowding into polling stations to cast ballots. Though three bombs went off in Enugu, voters never gave up. It happened as early as 7 a.m., but police … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Enugu, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, politics, reporters notebook

In Nigeria, Some Ballots Are For Sale

In Nigeria, Some Ballots Are For Sale

Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org At a poll in Araromi, Nigerians came out and waited in the hot sun to vote. By Festus Iyorah Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria – Voting continued Sunday in the Nigerian presidential election – a close contest that could see the unseating of the incumbent leader. Besides the technical glitches that added a second day to the balloting, the election has been marred by murder, thievery and corruption. For some voters, Election Day is … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Nigeria, Oyo State

Nigerians Line Up At The Polls Saturday

Nigerians Line Up At The Polls Saturday

Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Voters line up at a polling place Saturday in Ibadan, part of Oyo state in Nigeria. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org A woman in Ibadan casts a ballot in Saturday’s presidential election in Nigeria. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org People wait in line to vote in Ibadan, Nigeria, on Saturday. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Independent National Electoral Commission officials stand by as voters cast their ballots in Ibadan, Nigeria on Saturday. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Voting in progress in Ibadan, Nigeria on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Nigeria, voting

Nigeria’s Upcoming Presidential Election: The Choice Of Continuity Or Change

Linus Okechukwu / youthjournalism.org Billboards like this one for General Muhammadu Buhari, who is seeking the Nigerian presidency in the March 28 election, are a common sight. His running mate, Professor Yemi Osinbajo also appears in the advertisement.  By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU, Enugu State, Nigeria – On Saturday, nearly 70 million eligible voters will be trooping to polling stations to decide who becomes the next president of Nigeria. It’s a decisive choice between two extremes: continuity … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Enugu, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, politics

Scotland Voted No. Will Westminster Now Keep Its Promise About Sharing Power?

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – After years of debate, emotion and drama, Scotland voted No in Thursday’s independence referendum. The vote, reported early Friday, means Scotland will remain a part of the United Kingdom. In what was expected to be one of the closest run polls the country has ever seen, the Unionists clinched it with 55 percent of the vote compared to 45 percent for those who wanted Scotland to be an … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, elections, England, Myah Guild, Scotland, United Kingdom, voting

Scotland’s Rich Diversity Could Sway Thursday’s National Independence Vote

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The view over Lossiemouth Marina, Lossiemouth, in the Scottish highlands. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International FORRES, Moray, Scotland – On Thursday, when Scotland holds a vote on national independence, the United Kingdom will change forever. Whether Scotland votes for or against independence, the door has been opened and, as many people have observed over recent eventful weeks, it is not one which can be fully closed again. It’s not a well-liked opinion, but one … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Elgin, Myah Guild, Scotland, U.K., voting

Scottish Youth Hear Arguments For And Against National Independence

By Robert Guthrie Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International GLASGOW, Scotland – School children from all over Scotland attended a televised BBC debate Thursday on the issues surrounding the fast-approaching September 18 independence referendum. More than 7,000 pupils attended the event at Glasgow’s premier arena, the SSE Hydro.BBC News’ Scotland Correspondent James Cook moderated the debate, which followed a number of similar debates which have taken place in several Scottish cities with voters predominantly aged over 18. One of … Read entire article »

Filed under: elections, Glasgow, Robert Guthrie, Scotland, voting

Afghan Youth Vote Spurs Excitement, Hope

youthjournalism.org   Voters lined up at a polling place on the outskirts of Kabul on Saturday. By Edrees Kakar Senior Correspondent Youth Journalism International KABUL, Afghanistan – (Sunday, April 6) Although the official results of Afghanistan’s national election won’t be announced for another month, the victory is already clear. The people of Afghanistan are the winners of this election by defying violence,terrorism and showing their enthusiasm for a democratic process. This election turned out to be an unprecedented major event due to the immense enthusiasm displayed by … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Edrees Kakar, elections, Kabul

youthjournalism.org Voters lined up at a polling place on the outskirts of Kabul on Saturday. By Edrees Kakar Senior Correspondent Youth Journalism International KABUL, Afghanistan – Although the official results of Afghanistan’s national election won’t be announced for another month, the victory is already clear. The people of Afghanistan are the winners of this election by defying violence, terrorism and showing their enthusiasm for a democratic process. This election turned out to be an unprecedented major event due to the immense … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, democracy, Edrees Kakar, Election Day, elections, Kabul, presidential election, reporters notebook, terrorism

At 17, Yearning To Cast A Ballot

At 17, Yearning To Cast A Ballot

By Santosh Poudel Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HEMJA, Banskot, Nepal – I live my life in one of the richest countries in natural resources. I live in Nepal. Last month, we had an election for our constituent assembly, and most of the people over age 18 were happy because they were going to choose the leaders they liked most. But I wasn’t happy because at 17, I am too young to vote.  My sadness comes from the … Read entire article »

Filed under: elections, Kaskikot, Nepal, Santosh Poudel

Afghans Worry About What Will Happen To Their Country After Troops Leave

Afghans Worry About What Will Happen To Their  Country After Troops Leave

By Edrees Kakar Correspondent Youth Journalism International KABUL, Afghanistan – The withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the upcoming Afghan presidential election in 2014 makes it a challenging year for the country. While there is some level of optimism with the Afghan government for taking responsibility for the security of the country and running a transparent election, there is public concern over the withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the consequences that will follow.  These concerns are mainly … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Edrees Kakar, elections, Kabul, Taliban, War

By Edrees Kakar  Correspondent  Youth Journalism International  KABUL, Afghanistan – The withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the upcoming Afghan presidential election in 2014 makes it a challenging year for the country.  While there is some level of optimism with the Afghan government for taking responsibility for the security of the country and running a transparent election, there is public concern over the withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the consequences that will follow.   These concerns are mainly … Read entire article »