» World War II

National Holocaust Memorial Museum Delivers Painfully Sad Lessons

By Sydney Hallett Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – Though we learned about the Holocaust every year in English or history class, we never really went in depth. I wanted to know more. Touring the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum during my visit to Washington gave me the perfect opportunity. I did not know what to expect as our group stepped into the museum elevator, but once the video started playing, I knew this museum was going to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, history, Holocaust, Sydney Hallett, terrorism, travel, War, Washington D.C., World War II

Seventy Years After Its Liberation, Auschwitz Is Still Chilling To This Young Visitor

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The fence around Auschwitz, which was electrified when the camp was in operation. Desperate prisoners sometimes made a suicidal run at the fence to escape the horrors of the concentration camp. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International OSWIECIM, Poland – No words can truly describe what visiting Auschwitz is like. Even now, months after I spent time, there, I still struggle to comprehend what I saw and heard. I suppose it’s because I never really … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Featured, history, Holocaust, Myah Guild, Poland, terrorism, travel, World War II

Honoring Veterans, Revisiting Normandy

Honoring Veterans, Revisiting Normandy

On Veterans Day, 70 years after the D-Day invasion, let’s revisit a 2005 piece by an Irish student, Niamh Ni Mhaoileoin, who visited the military cemeteries at Normandy and offered insight about what she saw and felt: Niamh Ni Mhaoileoin / youthjournalism.org One of the cemeteries at Normandy. No soldier deserves to die It was seven o’clock on an uncharacteristically grey and cool morning in Normandy and the biting wind was causing an empty flagpole to rattle eerily in … Read entire article »

Filed under: France, Germany, Ireland, Niamh Ni Mhaoileoin, Normandy, United States, Veterans Day, War, World War II

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’

Beth Pond/ YouthJournalism.orgA memorial wall at the USS Arizona site. This piece by Beth Pond was originally published in 2007: Each generation has its defining moment, that one day in history where something so memorable happened that one remembers where he or she was when he or she heard about it. For our generation, it was the September 11th attacks. For others, it was the day President Kennedy got shot, and for the generation prior to that, it was … Read entire article »

Filed under: Beth Pond, Hawaii, Pearl Harbor, veterans, World War II

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’

Harboring Memories Of ‘Day Of Infamy’