» Newtown

Holding Inspiration In My Hand, Managing Loss, And Realizing What’s Important

youthjournalism.org The rock that Nelba Márquez-Greene gave to Matthew Albrecht   By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – I met many inspiring people at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday, but one woman stood out.  Nelba Márquez-Greenelost her daughter Ana in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown in 2012. In her grief, she founded The Ana Grace Project, which works to keeps Ana’s memory alive and spread the message, “Love Wins.”  I had the good fortune … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Hartford, Matthew Albrecht, Nelba Márquez-Greene, Newtown, nonviolence, peace, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, U.S.A.

Youth Should Stay Connected And Involved To Prevent Violence, Sandy Hook Mom Says

By Mugdha Gurram, Alan Burkholder and Matthew Albrecht Reporters Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Nelba Márquez-Greene, a mother whose six-year-old daughter was murdered in the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, wants young people to stay connected and involved in their communities to prevent further gun violence. At the Peace in Connecticut conference on nonviolence at Trinity College Thursday, Márquez-Greeneemphasized the importance of lasting relationships, saying it is imperative for children “to stay connected to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Matthew Albrecht, Mugdha Gurram, Newtown, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence

Newtown Shootings Spur Song By Sad Teen

By Tearza Foyston Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International CHANDLER, Arizona, U.S.A. – I never really thought of myself as a songwriter until last Friday. It was just another normal day until a girl in my choir class told me about the shootings that morning in Connecticut. At first I felt sad, but I had no idea about the number of children killed. When I heard the details later, as an older sister and friend to many with younger siblings, my heart broke. I posted a status on Facebook about the tragedy but within 10 second felt disgusted with myself.I told myself, “That was pathetic, Tearza. Yeah, sure, you feel bad but this post is just going to get lost in all the other heartfelt and touching posts everyone else is writing. You can do better! But … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arizona, Chandler, Connecticut, guns, music, Newtown, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, songs, Tearza Foyston

Echoing The April 1999 Columbine Massacre

School violence didn’t start with the killings at Columbine High School, but it sent terrible shock and sadness far from Littleton, Colorado, where it took place. Youth Journalism International students tackled the story as best they could. The work was published in the online teen newspaper, The Tattoo at www.ReadTheTattoo.com. In the wake of the awful massacre at Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, here is more from Youth Journalism International’s student writers and artists on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bristol, Columbine High School, Connecticut, Courtney Pendleton, Newtown, Sandy Hook, school violence, St. Paul Catholic High School

Gun Control Needed After Newtown Murders

By Aiman Jarrar Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAND RAPIDS, Michigan – Twenty six innocent people died today after a man entered Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. and began shooting students and adults. Though police were on the scene within minutes, it was too late. Twenty students died there. There have been 31 school shootings in the United States since the Columbine tragedy in 1999, but nothing has changed to prevent these shootings from happening. The killer in Connecticut … Read entire article »

Filed under: 2nd Amendment, gun control, guns, Newtown, Ryan Lanza, Sandy Brook Elementary School, school violence, shootings