» school security

In Islam, Going To School Is An Act Of Jihad. The Taliban’s Terrorism Is Not.

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The terrorist attack on Peshawar on December 16 was one of the most ruthless and cruel acts of the Taliban I have ever known. The attack itself was enough to shake the length and breadth of Pakistan, but its aftermath had yet to follow. Soon after the attack on the Peshawar school, all educational institutions in the Punjab province of Pakistan and other parts of the country … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, journalism, Lahore, Pakistan, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Children are the angels of heaven. They are innocent little flowers, their smiles can soften even the coldest hearts. That is what I knew and believed to be true, but today’s heinous event has turned everything upside down. The Taliban attacked a school in Peshawar and the result is more than 130 students dead. This is no terrorist attack. It’s an attack on humanity, it’s an attack on myself.I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, Pakistan, Peshawar, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

With Abducted Girls Still Missing, Nigeria’s Young Women Want More Security

Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Odinaka Uroko, 17, a graduating student of the University of Nigeria Secondary School, is frustrated with the fact that hundreds of teenage girls from her country were abducted and remain missing. By Linus Okechukwu, Senior Reporter And Festus Iyorah, Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu, Nigeria – Following global outrage at the abduction of nearly 300 schoolgirls in the northern Nigerian town of Chibok, the atmosphere here is filled with sadness, anger and frustration.  Virtually everyone has … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Africa, Boko Haram, Festus Iyorah, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, Nsukka, school security, terrorism

High School Stabbing Strikes Close To Home

By Katherine Holland Reporter Youth Journalism International PITTSBURGH, Penn., U.S.A. – (April 9) When I arrived at school today, it was just another Wednesday. I had to finish my statistics homework during chemistry, and I was looking forward to talking with my friend during English about the guy she’s been seeing. But the first thing I heard when I walked into homeroom was “Oh my God, did you hear about the stabbing at Franklin?” I don’t know if there’s a worse sentence to start … Read entire article »

Filed under: Katherine Holland, Pittsburgh, school security, school violence

Snoozing, Snacking And Tweeting: What Really Happens In A High School Lockdown

By Natalie Tarrant Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ARLINGTON, Texas, U.S.A. – We were in the middle of first period, about 9 a.m., and reading aloud the first pages of Romeo and Juliet, (Act 1, Scene 1: “Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?/ I do bite my thumb, sir.”) Just then, a voice from the intercom announced: The lockdown drill had started. Our teacher gathered us up into a little group (it was a fairly small class) and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arlington, lockdown, Natalie Tarrant, school security, Texas, U.S.A.