» Nigeria

Two years later, Nigerian girls still missing

By Gideon Arinze Chijioke Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu State, Nigeria – It is two years today and the abducted Nigerian schoolgirls still remain missing. The kidnapping of more than 250 girls from a secondary school in Chibok triggered international outrage.  The hashtag #bringbackourgirls started a campaign for their safe return and according to The Guardian newspaper, it was tweeted over a million times. High profiles figures such as U.S. First Lady Michelle Obama, Pakistani education advocate Malala … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Gideon Arinze Chijioke, Nigeria, terrorism

Nigeria’s New President Promises To Tackle Boko Haram, National Economy And More

By Linus Okechukwu Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu, Nigeria – Insecurity, endemic corruption, fuel and power shortages will be tackled head on, Nigeria’s new leader, President Muhammadu Buhari told a cheering crowd at his inauguration ceremony Friday in Eagles Square nestled in the capital city of Abuja. “Nigerians will not regret that they have entrusted national responsibility to us,” he said with a tone full of optimism. “We must not succumb to hopelessness and defeatism. We can fix … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, terrorism

Nigerians Mark A Year Since Boko Haram Terrorists Kidnapped Chibok Schoolgirls

Arinze Chijioke / youthjournalism.org Salamatu Usman called the kidnapping of the Chibok girls a crime against humanity. By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU, Nigeria – It was a mild Monday morning on April 14, 2014 as commuters around Nigeria’s capital Abuja prepared to take on the day and eke out a living. As it was the morning rush hour, commuters at the Nyanya bus station on the outskirts of Abuja chattered away, getting ready to board buses shuttling across … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Arinze Chijioke, Boko Haram, Festus Iyorah, Ifeanyi Onyekere, Linus Okechukwu, Nchetachi Chukwuajah, Nigeria, school violence, terrorism

Schoolgirls Still Missing A Year Later

Schoolgirls Still Missing A Year Later

By Festus Iyorah Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International IBADAN, Oyo, Nigeria – Nigerians shifted their attention from the recently concluded national election as they remembered the first year anniversary of the more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists.  After a myriad of terrorist attacks in northern Nigeria, Boko Haram – which is striving to create an Islamic state – ignited global outrage as they abducted the girls in the wee hours of April 14 from a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Malala Yousafzai, Nigeria, Oyo State, school violence, violence

From A Nigerian Sister, An Open Letter To The Kidnapped Chibok Girls, A Year Later

By Mary Umeoguaju Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International Anambra, Nigeria April 14, 2015 My dear sisters, How are you? Hope you are fine and in good health. These questions seem to be insignificant to ask of my sisters who have been missing in Chibok since 14th of April 2014, but I still think we need to ask them. It’s been a year and I haven’t heard from you and neither have my fellow Nigerians. It is unfortunate. I’ve never had any personal contact with … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Anambra, Boko Haram, Mary Umeoguaju, Nigeria, school violence, terrorism, violence

We Must Cry, Until The Missing Girls Return

By Nchetachi Chukwuajah Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ABIA, Nigeria – When in 1948 South African author Alan Paton chose to entitle his book Cry, the Beloved Country, it probably did not occur to him that Nigeria would need to do that after over five decades. Nigeria should cry, wail even, that after 365 days it was not able to deliver more than 200 of its daughters from the tight grips of their abductors. We have waited too long for … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Abia, Boko Haram, Nchetachi Chukwuajah, Nigeria, school violence, terrorism, violence

One Year After Their Kidnapping, The Missing Chibok Girls Are Not Forgotten

By Ifeanyi Onyekere Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International OJI RIVER, Enugu, Nigeria – That time can heal the deepest pain or wound could sometimes be untrue especially when you lose possessions dear to you. It could die in the minds of others, in media headlines, in top discussions, but not in your heart. It’s the pain that sleeps and wakes with you, a heavy stone that hangs around your neck and spirit, drowning you into thicker darkness where your … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Boko Haram, Enugu, Ifeanyi Chris Onyekere, Nigeria, Oji River, school violence, terrorism, violence

Democracy In Nigeria Evident From President Jonathan’s Gracious Exit

By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU, Enugu State, Nigeria – It’s not every day that one wakes with a deep sense of trepidation hanging over the very air one breathes. Some days, one wakes to a beautiful morning laced with happiness and goes to bed in the same mood. We’ve been glued to the TV for two days now, doing nothing but mathematical additions to figures reeled out by the Independent National Electoral Commission – the … Read entire article »

Filed under: democracy, Election Day, elections, Enugu, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, politics, presidential election

I Was There, Watching Thousands Of Nigerians Flock To The Polls To Vote

Linus Okechukwu / youthjournalism.org The boxes used for casting votes. One is for the presidency and two are for parliamentary positions. By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU STATE, Nigeria – Travelling through different regions within Enugu state today, I saw a large number of voters – tens of thousands of them – crowding into polling stations to cast ballots. Though three bombs went off in Enugu, voters never gave up. It happened as early as 7 a.m., but police … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Enugu, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, politics, reporters notebook

In Nigeria, Some Ballots Are For Sale

In Nigeria, Some Ballots Are For Sale

Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org At a poll in Araromi, Nigerians came out and waited in the hot sun to vote. By Festus Iyorah Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria – Voting continued Sunday in the Nigerian presidential election – a close contest that could see the unseating of the incumbent leader. Besides the technical glitches that added a second day to the balloting, the election has been marred by murder, thievery and corruption. For some voters, Election Day is … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Nigeria, Oyo State

Nigerians Line Up At The Polls Saturday

Nigerians Line Up At The Polls Saturday

Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Voters line up at a polling place Saturday in Ibadan, part of Oyo state in Nigeria. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org A woman in Ibadan casts a ballot in Saturday’s presidential election in Nigeria. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org People wait in line to vote in Ibadan, Nigeria, on Saturday. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Independent National Electoral Commission officials stand by as voters cast their ballots in Ibadan, Nigeria on Saturday. Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Voting in progress in Ibadan, Nigeria on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Nigeria, voting

Nigeria’s Upcoming Presidential Election: The Choice Of Continuity Or Change

Linus Okechukwu / youthjournalism.org Billboards like this one for General Muhammadu Buhari, who is seeking the Nigerian presidency in the March 28 election, are a common sight. His running mate, Professor Yemi Osinbajo also appears in the advertisement.  By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU, Enugu State, Nigeria – On Saturday, nearly 70 million eligible voters will be trooping to polling stations to decide who becomes the next president of Nigeria. It’s a decisive choice between two extremes: continuity … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Enugu, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, politics

Will Missing Chibok Girls Ever Be Freed?

By Festus Iyorah Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu, Nigeria – As we approach national elections next week, it is crystal clear that politicians have not been working assiduously towards the release of the Chibok girls who have been held prisoner by the hardline Boko Haram terrorist group since April 2014. Instead, they have been busy solving the political mathematics that would see them cruising to victory, leaving the parents of the missing girls to depend on a litany … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Boko Haram, Enugu, Festus Iyorah, Nigeria, Nsukka, terrorism, War

To Get A Good Education In Nigeria, Students Turn To Private Schools

By Linus Okechukwu Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International AGYARAGU, Lafia, Nasarawa State, Nigeria – While nearly all his childhood friends had absorbing stories of their new journey to private primary schools, Samson Yusuf, 20, had little to share. His tales lacked in novelty, and his experience rather too awful to be told. Yusuf, who is currently preparing to take his West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination, listened to spellbinding stories his friends had of their new teachers, classmates, … Read entire article »

Filed under: education, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, Nsukka

Nigerians Losing Their Homes, Churches, Schools And Worst Of All, Their Hope

U.S. State Department map Festus Iyorah Reporter Youth Journalism International NSUKKA, Enugu, Nigeria – Following the insurgency that rocked Nigeria in 2014, I thought we would flip across another new page this year without experiencing more bloodletting. But I was wrong, as the recent terrorist attack in Baga, Borno state in northeastern Nigeria showed. The assault by Boko Haram, which cut a swath through Baga, has been called the deadliest in its history. According to estimates by Amnesty International, the terrorist … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Enugu, Festus Iyorah, Nigeria, Nsukka, terrorism, violence