» peace

Don’t Celebrate International Women’s Day. Stand Up For Women’s Rights Instead

By Amber Shakil Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – International Women’s Day, a holiday to honor women with love and respect, is celebrated in many countries every March 8. In nations around the globe, there are events on that day to inspire women and celebrate their achievements. But why do we celebrate the accomplishments of women – and pay extra respect – only on one day of the year? There are 365 days in a year, and too often, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Holidays, International Women's Day, Lahore, Pakistan, peace, Perspective, violence, women's rights

Selma Today: Still So Much Work Ahead

Selma Today: Still So Much Work Ahead

Jessica Elsayed / youthjournalism.org Downtown Selma is small but a very interesting part of town with so much history. The Selma Times Journal in  is only a few steps away from the Edmund Pettus Bridge, where, in 1965, police used tear gas and clubs to beat back hundreds of civil rights protesters trying to march to Montgomery, Alabama. By Jessica Elsayed Associate Editor Youth Journalism International SELMA, Alabama, U.S.A. – I just returned from spending an incredible and enlightening week in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alabama, civil rights, Jessica Elsayed, Martin Luther King, peace, peaceful protest, protests, racism, Selma, terrorism

Theater Makes A WWI Truce Come To Life

Theater Makes A WWI Truce Come To Life

Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org One of the Christmas displays in Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of William Shakespeare. By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, England – In honor of this year’s centenary anniversary of World War I, the Royal Shakespeare Company put on a production of “The Christmas Truce.” Described by a reviewer for The Telegraph as ‘respectful, insightful, powerful,’ we were all expecting great things. Set in 1914, the play followed a handful of soldiers as they prepare themselves for … Read entire article »

Filed under: Christmas, Christmas Around the World, England, Lauren Pope, peace, reviews, Stratford-Upon-Avon, theater, theater review, United Kingdom, War, William Shakespeare, World War I

YJI Takes To The Road In New Vehicle, Connects Students In Washington, D.C.

youthjournalism.org Mugdha Gurram of Connecticut, Tamar Gorgadze of Virginia and Van Nguyen of Hanoi, Vietnam became friends through a Youth Journalism International trip to Washington, D.C. Last week, six young people who were strangers to each other met in Washington, D.C. through Youth Journalism International and emerged as colleagues and friends. Coming from vastly different backgrounds, they put aside any differences and shared personal stories and experiences. youthjournalism.org Mirwais Kakar of Kabul, Afghanistan, Mugdha Gurram and Hila Yosafi-Lehman of Connecticut … Read entire article »

Filed under: Hila Yosafi-Lehman, Jackie Majerus, Michelle Harmon, Mirwais Kakar, Mugdha Gurram, Newseum, peace, Sydney Hallett, Tamar Gorgadze, Toronto Tour 2014, Van Nguyen, Washington D.C., YJI

In Gaza, Life Itself Is The Cause

In Gaza, Life Itself Is The Cause

Salama S. Salama / youthjournalism.org A boy takes part in the celebration of the cease-fire in Khanyounis on Tuesday. By Ahmad Zaqout Reporter Youth Journalism International KHANYOUNIS, Gaza Strip – The poet Rumi wrote that the wound is the place where the Light enters. If that is so, Gaza today is flooded with light. The cease-fire came at 7 p.m. Jerusalem time Tuesday. It was the moment where life gave a glimpse of a smile to the more than 1.5 million … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ahmed Zaqout, Gaza, Gaza Strip, Israel, Palestine, peace, Salama S. Salama, War

Tears Flow In Gaza, But Of Happiness Over Cease-Fire Agreement With Israel

By Dalia Al-Najjar Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International KHANYOUNIS, Gaza Strip – One hour before the long-term cease-fire agreement announcement: Cautious waiting. Wishful thinking. Everyone trying to summon up all the pain, all the sadness and all the anguish to sigh it out from our exhausted lungs. All the bewildered eyes gazing upon the TV screen, carefully listening to every word and those tentative words scrambling to smuggle in some hope, positivity and harmless happiness. Is it true? Is it the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Dalia Al-Najjar, Gaza, Gaza Strip, Israel, Khanyounis, Palestine, peace, War

Israeli Teen: When The Enemy In Gaza Is Your Friend, War Is Not The Same

By Roei Ashkenazi Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NETANYA, Israel – Fifteen seconds. When you hear the sirens, you will have 15 seconds to find shelter. In this reality, the children of the Israeli south live in constant fear from one alarm to another. Everybody hide, everybody run. My name is Roei Ashkenazi. I am an Israeli, a Jew and a seed of peace. In 2012 I was accepted to the Seeds of Peace program. It’s a camp that brings together … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ahmed Zaqout, Gaza Strip, Israel, Netanya, Palestine, peace, Roei Ashkenazi, terrorism, War

Holding Inspiration In My Hand, Managing Loss, And Realizing What’s Important

youthjournalism.org The rock that Nelba Márquez-Greene gave to Matthew Albrecht   By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – I met many inspiring people at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday, but one woman stood out.  Nelba Márquez-Greenelost her daughter Ana in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown in 2012. In her grief, she founded The Ana Grace Project, which works to keeps Ana’s memory alive and spread the message, “Love Wins.”  I had the good fortune … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Hartford, Matthew Albrecht, Nelba Márquez-Greene, Newtown, nonviolence, peace, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, U.S.A.

Shot Six Times At 15, But He Forgave

Shot Six Times At 15, But He Forgave

By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Holding grudges seems to be a natural talent for many people, and sometimes it seems reasonable. Imagine how justifiable it must seem to hold a grudge against someone who shot you six times. And yet, that’s not what Hashim Garrett did. Garrett, who spoke at the Peace in Connecticut conference for nonviolence at Trinity College on Thursday, talked about the power of forgiveness. Garrett’s story starts with his troubled … Read entire article »

Filed under: Mugdha Gurram, nonviolence, peace, shooting, shootings, Trinity College, violence

Using His Own Troubled Past To Lead Inner City Youth Away From Violence And Gangs

By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Taking another person’s life indisputably changes a person. When Kenny Jackson found himself in prison after shooting someone at point-blank range, he was in the same situation as a lot of inner-city youths. But he said he came out of this experience as a better man. After spending 14 years behind bars, he told an audience at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday that he regrets his decisions, but … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bridgeport, Connecticut, Hartford, Mugdha Gurram, nonviolence, peace, U.S.A.

Peaceful Holiday Greetings From Uganda

Peaceful Holiday Greetings From Uganda

Olego Job / youthjournalism.org This drawing is by artist Olego Job of Kampala, Uganda.   … Read entire article »

Filed under: Holidays, Kampala, Olego Job, peace, Uganda

Peaceful Holiday Greetings From Uganda

Peaceful Holiday Greetings From Uganda

Olego Job / youthjournalism.org This drawing is by artist Olego Job of Kampala, Uganda. … Read entire article »

Spending Precious Time With A National Hero, Archbishop Desmond Tutu

youthjournalism.org Archbishop Desmond Tutu with Mariechen Puchert on the MV Explorer   By Mariechen Puchert  Associate Editor  Youth Journalism International  CAPE TOWN, South Africa – The MV Explorer, home to more than 600 students on the Spring 2013 voyage of Semester at Sea, suddenly got quiet. Too quiet.  It could have been that finals were around the corner, inducing a silent panic of late-night studying. It could be that the ship’s recent visits to South Africa and Ghana have thoroughly exhausted these … Read entire article »

Filed under: Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Cape Town, Mariechen Puchert, peace, Semester at Sea, South Africa

Nobel Peace Prize Winner Archbishop Desmond Tutu Believes In Young People

youthjournalism.org Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s message to youth is to follow their dreams for peace in the world.   By Mary Majerus-Collins Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Conn.  – South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu has some simple advice for youth: dream. “I want to say to young people, dream,” Tutu said. “You have to go on saying peace is possible,” he said. “Dream that this world can become better.” Tutu, 81, won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1984 for his unifying role in the … Read entire article »

Filed under: apartheid, Archbishop Desmond Tutu, Celeste Kurz, Erez Bittan, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Mary Majerus-Collins, Nobel Prize winner, peace, Semester at Sea, South Africa

youthjournalism.org Archbishop Desmond Tutu with Mariechen Puchert on the MV Explorer By Mariechen Puchert Associate Editor Youth Journalism International CAPE TOWN, South Africa – The MV Explorer, home to more than 600 students on the Spring 2013 voyage of Semester at Sea, suddenly got quiet. Too quiet. It could have been that finals were around the corner, inducing a silent panic of late-night studying. It could be that the ship’s recent visits to South Africa and Ghana have thoroughly exhausted these … Read entire article »