» YJI Students

Ohio State University student shaken after hiding from assailant during campus attack

By Noah Adelsberger Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEWARK, Ohio, U.S.A. – An attack at The Ohio State University Monday morning injured 11 and rattled a campus community just returning from Thanksgiving break. Computer Science and Engineering student Megan Knox was inclass when someone warned the classroom about an emergency alert text they had received about an active shooter. Initial reports of an active shooter were incorrect, as the only shots occurred when a campus police officer responding to the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Noah Adelsberger, school violence, terrorism, YJI Students

Prizewinning photojournalists tell how work can stand out in a sea of instant images

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAPEVINE, Texas, U.S.A. – It is a common saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. And it is – regardless of what language you speak, the religion you take faith in, or the part of the world you reside. At the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference outside of Dallas, Texas, four Pulitzer Prize winners spoke about their international experiences with photojournalism and offered advice to fellow photographers. The four panelists – Smiley … Read entire article »

Filed under: Carol Guzy, Garret Reich, journalism, Mayborn, Mayborn Conference, photography, Pulitzer Prize\, Texas, YJI Students

Searching for Pokémon Down Under

Searching for Pokémon Down Under

By Jack Ward Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ARARAT, Victoria, Australia — The world went crazy a few weeks ago when Nintendo paired up with Niantic and released Pokémon Go. The app, installed on millions of mobile phones, involves exploring the globe and catching animated creatures known as wild Pokémon. Nintendo released the game in Australia, New Zealand and the United States on  July 6. It was then Germany’s turn on the 13th of July, followed by the UK the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Games, Jack Ward

Brexit is personal to Polish student in UK

Parliament. Photo by Yelena Samofalova/youthjournalism.org By Joanna Koter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International   WHITBY, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom – I woke up on Friday, June 24 to take my math exam and headed for the bathroom to brush my teeth. I saw my friend, who is Polish too, and lives in the same boarding house. She says to me, “Do you want to hear the news?” I see her face and I instantly know the results of the voting that … Read entire article »

Filed under: England, European Union, Immigration, Joanna Koter, Poland, United Kingdom, voting

Florida youth react to terrorist attack on Pulse, an Orlando gay nightclub

By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International MIAMI, Florida, U.S.A. – Shocked at the mass shooting at Pulse, a popular Orlando gay nightclub early Sunday, two young workers in Miami were also upset how the media was covering the shooting situation. “At first I didn’t know how to react to the shooting, just because of the fact that the way the news were reporting the story was one-sided,” said Ashley Hernandez, 21. Early Sunday morning, a gunman opened fire … Read entire article »

Filed under: Florida, gay pride, Gay rights, Maria Luiza Lago, Orlando, terrorism, YJI Students

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

By Amber Shakil Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Near where I live is Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, a beautiful place with birds, lakes and swings for children. It’s a popular public place for picnics, trips and family outings. I’ve been there several times.  People who live in other cities come to see it when they visit Lahore. Today, though, the park is filled with death and pain. A suicide bomber attacked the park, killing more than 60 people. Now ambulances are carrying … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Featured, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

Easter Bombing Claims Many Victims In Pakistan

Map showing location of Lahore, Pakistan.   By Irha Nadeem Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – More than 60 have lost their lives and more than 300 more were hurt in an Easter Sunday terror blast in Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, according to news reports here. While the Christian community was celebrating Easter in Pakistan on what seemed to be a normal weekend, the country was going through unrest.  On Sunday, there were protests in Islamabad, the capital city, resulting in a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Irha Nadeem, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism, YJI Students

Trump Tells Iowa Crowd He Could ‘Shoot Somebody’ And Not Lose Votes

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International   SIOUX CENTER, Iowa, U.S.A. – Bragging about his own popularity with supporters, Republican Donald Trump told an Iowa crowd Saturday, “I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose votes.” That boast from the presidential candidate – met with cheering from the audience –came after a long string of insults Trump hurled against the many Republican primary opponents he is trying to beat at the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Donald Trump, Garrett Reich, Iowa, Iowa Caucus, politics

Bernie Sanders In Iowa: Participants Of Democracy Will Shape The Future

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International UNDERWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – America’s future will be determined by those who take part in the democratic process, U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders said at a campaign stop Tuesday. Sanders, a senator from Vermont who running for U.S. president, said he is very proud to have young people involved in his campaign. Asked what he would say to the youth of the country who don’t believe they are obligated to get involved … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bernie Sanders, elections, Garrett Reich, Iowa, Iowa Caucus

Pakistan Must Protect Students From Terror

By Amber Shakil Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – As I walked through the corridor of my university department today, a friend told me the shocking news that terrorists had attacked another university in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. I didn’t believe her. I called my mother, who was already listening to the news and she confirmed it. This time it was Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in the northwestern part of Pakistan, not very far from the border … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, education, Pakistan, terrorism

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

By Hafsa Ahmed Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – From a logical standpoint, feeling devastated by the death of an actor seems odd. You’ve never met that person, never talked to them and don’t even know half the things about their real life. All you’ve been exposed to is that actor’s screen persona, their portrayal of a fictional character. But Alan Rickman portrayed his characters so authentically that today, I feel as if I’ve parted from a dear … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Rickman, Alan Rickman, Hafsa Ahmed, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, movies

Student gives first-hand account of 9-11 attack

This is a piece by former Youth Journalism International student Courtney Pendleton, originally published in The Bristol (Conn.) Press on Sept. 14, 2001. At the time, Pendleton was a sophomore studying art at New York University. She is now a neurosurgeon in Philadelphia. By Courtney Pendleton Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Tuesday morning I was going to the donut shop at the World Trade Center when my dorm’s receptionist accosted me about some package I needed to pick up. Half … Read entire article »

Filed under: 2001, 9-11, Courtney Pendleton, terrorism

Desperate Refugees Seeking Asylum Camp At Budapest’s Keleti Train Station

Megan Elizabeth Barlow / youthjournalism.org   Refugees camped out in the Keleti train station in Budapest on Tuesday. By Megan Elizabeth Barlow Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International BUDAPEST, Hungary – Alarmingly high numbers of people have crossed the Mediterranean Sea this year, fleeing war and suffering in their home countries at home in the Middle East and Africa and hoping to find safety in Europe. This week saw, in a single day, more than 2,000 asylum seekers enter Hungary – despite its fenced border. Hungarian officials closed the Keleti train station … Read entire article »

Filed under: Germany, Hungary, Immigration, Megan Elizabeth Barlow, Refugees, Syria

Obama Inspires With Charleston Eulogy

Obama Inspires With Charleston Eulogy

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International   GLENWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – President Barack Obama delivered an inspiring eulogy at the funeral for the Rev. Clementa Pinckney last week that may resonate for years to come. Pinckney, the pastor at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina, was leading the Bible study group June 17 when a man who was welcomed as a visitor shot and killed him and eight people in his congregation. Dylann Roof, a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Charleston, Garrett Reich, Obama, racism, terrorism

America Can’t Be A Nation Of Bystanders While A Racist Murders Nine Innocents

By Garret Reich Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International GLENWOOD, Iowa, U.S.A. – As it is, does there happen to be a context to pulling a gun on innocent people?  Or a context for pulling one in a church prayer circle because of the race of the worshippers? In Charlestown, South Carolina this week, there was what many would call a “church massacre” when a gunman killed six women and three men. Police arrested 21-year-old Dylann Roof for the murders. According … Read entire article »

Filed under: Garrett Reich, racism, terrorism