» Katie Jordan

Thousands of reasons to pay attention

Thousands of reasons to pay attention

By Katie Jordan Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) I first heard about it at lunch. A friend of mine came up to me as I was about to sit at one of the tables. She asked if I’d heard what happened, and I said I hadn’t. She proceeded to tell me that airplanes had crashed into the World Trade Center, and another one had hit the Pentagon. I guess I didn’t really comprehend what had … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Katie Jordan, terrorism

Afghan Girls Soccer Team Wins Hearts

Afghan Girls Soccer Team Wins Hearts

By Katie Jordan Youth Journalism International SIMSBURY, Conn., USA — To most teens, summer camp is nothing out of the ordinary. But last week eight girls from Afghanistan wound up the summer camp experience of a lifetime. The girls, who are as young as 11 and as old as 16, came all the way from Kabul to attend a sports and leadership camp in Connecticut, sponsored by the Afghan Youth Sports Exchange, a non-profit organization. Living at the Ethel Walker … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Katie Jordan, Soccer, sports

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Here’s one from the archives, a senior journal from July 4, 2005 by Katie Jordan: My prom night was unforgettable. And I’m not just saying that because they want me to. Oh, sure, they gave us a none-too-subtle hint in actually naming the event “Unforgettable.”  But when I say I had a memorable night, I’m not necessarily referring to the magic of the evening. And while I realize some of my peers may have found their memories a bit … Read entire article »

Filed under: journal, Katie Jordan, prom, senior journal

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Prom Proves Rip-Roarin’ Good Time

Shoot Me! Perils Of Senior Photographs

From Youth Journalism International’s archives, here’s a 2004 journal by Katie Jordan, who’s now a volunteer editor with YJI: I hate having my picture taken. I cringe when I hear a photographer say, “Okay, now SMILE!” Of course, that cringing expression always makes for a lovely shot. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way. But even if I’m not alone in how I feel about having my photo taken, the fact is that when you’re sitting there on some uncomfortable stool with the evil, unblinking black eye of a camera focused on you, you are alone. Well, except for the photographer. But let’s face it, that’s not always a comfort. “Turn your head a little. No, the other way! Farther. No, too far! Let me do it.” Oh, yeah – nothing puts … Read entire article »

Filed under: Katie Jordan, photographs

Shoot Me! Perils Of Senior Photographs

Filed under: Katie Jordan, photographs

Shoot Me! Perils Of Senior Photographs

Filed under: Katie Jordan, photographs

Shoot Me! Perils Of Senior Photographs

Filed under: Katie Jordan, photographs

Shoot Me! Perils Of Senior Photographs

Filed under: Katie Jordan, photographs

Shoot Me! Perils Of Senior Photographs

Filed under: Katie Jordan, photographs

Shoot Me! Perils Of Senior Photographs

Filed under: Katie Jordan, photographs