» Maria Luiza Lago

Florida youth react to terrorist attack on Pulse, an Orlando gay nightclub

By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International MIAMI, Florida, U.S.A. – Shocked at the mass shooting at Pulse, a popular Orlando gay nightclub early Sunday, two young workers in Miami were also upset how the media was covering the shooting situation. “At first I didn’t know how to react to the shooting, just because of the fact that the way the news were reporting the story was one-sided,” said Ashley Hernandez, 21. Early Sunday morning, a gunman opened fire … Read entire article »

Filed under: Florida, gay pride, Gay rights, Maria Luiza Lago, Orlando, terrorism, YJI Students

Brazilian New Year: Grapes For Good Luck

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org YJI student reporter Maria Luiza Lago from Curitiba, Brazil, shares her New Year’s tradition of eating 12 grapes, one for each month of the new year, to bring good luck. Happy 2015! *** Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, family tradition, Holidays, Maria Luiza Lago, New Year's Day, New Year's Eve

It’s Christmas Eve In Brazil

It’s Christmas Eve In Brazil

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org The Lago family tree in Curitiba, Brazil *** Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Christmas, Christmas Around the World, Curitiba, Holidays, Maria Luiza Lago

Cuban Youth Share Their Dreams And A Desire To Know More About The World

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org A bus station in Havana, Cuba. By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International HAVANA, Cuba – Maybe you don’t know what it’s like to have your TV channels controlled, to have limited or no access to computers or the internet, or not to be free to speak your mind in public. I wanted to know what that was like, so on a trip to Cuba, I interviewed some young people around Havana about their lives … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cuba, freedom, Havana, Maria Luiza Lago

Visiting Cuba: A Step Back In Time

Visiting Cuba: A Step Back In Time

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org Cars from the 1950s and 1960s are a common sight in Havana, Cuba. By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International HAVANA, Cuba – When I first arrived in Havana, Cuba, I had a cultural shock – it seemed like I took a plane in 2014 and landed in 1950. Havana has cars from the ‘50s and old telephones and houses, though some are still in good shape.  Stores have no computers to administer the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cuba, Havana, Maria Luiza Lago, travel

Brazilian Presidential Candidate Dies In Crash

By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International CURITIBA, Brazil – In an accident that shocked Brazilian people, presidential candidate Eduardo Campos died Wednesday in a plane crash in Santos, São Paulo. News reports indicated that the 49 years-old presidential candidate died along with several others from his campaign and the plane’s pilots on the way to campaign stops. The cause of the crash is under investigation. Only 55 days away from the October 6 election, Campos was one of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, Maria Luiza Lago, politics

Fan-tastic: Despite Tension, Brazil’s World Cup Victory Over Chile Was Guaranteed

By Maria Luiza Lago Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International CURITIBA, Paraná, Brazil – After winning the match against Cameroon last Monday in the capital of Rio Grande do Norte, Natal, with a score of 4-1, Brazil struck once more against Chile, emerging victorious in a tense match. The game against Chile took place in Belo Horizonte, the capital of Minas Gerais, in the Mineirão Stadium. During the national anthem, some people in the audience were crying with emotion, and even as … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, football, Maria Luiza Lago, World Cup

Despite Its Flaws, These Brazilian Youth Are Loving The Excitement Of The World Cup

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org The outside of the rebuilt stadium in Curitiba where some of the World Cup games are being played. By Maria Luiza Lago Junior Reporter YouthJournalism International CURITIBA, Brazil – While they’re excited about World Cup matches being played in their home city, several teenagers also pointed out the downside of hosting a global event. Spending money on keeping World Cup fans happy doesn’t do much for Brazilians, said 18-year-old Gabriela Callegari, an automation control engineering student … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, Maria Luiza Lago, protests, sports, World Cup

Doctors For World Cup Tourists, But Waiting Rooms For Ordinary Brazilian Citizens

By Maria Luiza Lago Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International CURITIBA, Paraná, Brazil – The thousands of tourists who are visiting my city for World Cup matches don’t need to worry if they get sick or injured – but the citizens in need of medical help have reason to be concerned. The World Cup moved to Curitiba, a city in the south of Brazil, on Monday when Iran and Nigeria faced off. The match at the Arena da Baixada stadium … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, football, health care, Maria Luiza Lago, sports, World Cup