» Matthew Albrecht

Ebola Comes To America, But Should It?

Ebola Comes To America, But Should It?

By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth JournalismInternational SOUTHINGTON, Connecticut, USA – Bringing home two American Ebola patients from Western Africa, may be “the right thing” to do, but is it worth the risk that something might go wrong? The two patients who are being flown in on a chartered plane to a military base in Georgia were both volunteering when they caught the often deadly disease. At least one of them is sick enough to need the care offered … Read entire article »

Filed under: Atlanta, CDC, Ebola, Matthew Albrecht

Holding Inspiration In My Hand, Managing Loss, And Realizing What’s Important

youthjournalism.org The rock that Nelba Márquez-Greene gave to Matthew Albrecht   By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – I met many inspiring people at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday, but one woman stood out.  Nelba Márquez-Greenelost her daughter Ana in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown in 2012. In her grief, she founded The Ana Grace Project, which works to keeps Ana’s memory alive and spread the message, “Love Wins.”  I had the good fortune … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Hartford, Matthew Albrecht, Nelba Márquez-Greene, Newtown, nonviolence, peace, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, U.S.A.

Youth Should Stay Connected And Involved To Prevent Violence, Sandy Hook Mom Says

By Mugdha Gurram, Alan Burkholder and Matthew Albrecht Reporters Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Nelba Márquez-Greene, a mother whose six-year-old daughter was murdered in the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, wants young people to stay connected and involved in their communities to prevent further gun violence. At the Peace in Connecticut conference on nonviolence at Trinity College Thursday, Márquez-Greeneemphasized the importance of lasting relationships, saying it is imperative for children “to stay connected to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Matthew Albrecht, Mugdha Gurram, Newtown, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence

Maleficent Is A Villain With A Heart

Maleficent Is A Villain With A Heart

By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International SOUTHINGTON, Connecticut, U.S.A. – The word maleficentmay come from the Latin root to do evil, but the movie of the same name does quite well for itself. It is no secret that Disney can churn out movies with vigor and some of them even become blockbusters (Frozen anyone?). But a recent movie caught my attention. After months of seeing clever advertisements, I decided that Maleficent would be worth an hour and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Disney, Maleficent, Matthew Albrecht, movie review, movies, reviews, Southington, U.S.A.

Missing Dad, And Remembering His Lessons

Family photo Robert Albrecht and his son Matthew By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International SOUTHINGTON, Connecticut, U.S.A. – We are running loops in the sunlit cemetery. Laughter fills the October air as I joke with my cross country teammates, feeling free and relaxed. I smell the scent of nearby flowers. It is a regular run on a regular day. We train there all the time. As the breeze brushes by, I muse over what I might do … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Father's Day, Holidays, Matthew Albrecht, Southington, U.S.A.