» Kaishi Lee

Grief and horror

Grief and horror

Kaishi Lee Youth Journalism International SINGAPORE — September 11, 2001. “Oh my God.” A day to remember. America’s fall from grace has stirred up much antipathy and the terrorist attack has touched a universal nerve. Before rooting out the real reasons and giving the finger to culprits, stop reeling, be calm and tell yourself that reality is more complicated. The U.S. motto “In God We Trust” is placed on all its currency. We can’t turn back time. We can only grieve and cherish the memories … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Kaishi Lee, Singapore, terrorism

America will rise to the challenge

America will rise to the challenge

By Kaishi Lee Youth Journalism International SINGAPORE — (September 11, 2001) Let’s face it. America’s in a frenzy after another terrorist attack. Now, why, of all countries, did terrorists choose America? Is it America being a world superpower? Jealousy or Uncle Sam poking his sharp nose into every corner? America is like a giant filtration machine. American brand names like Coca-Cola, Levi’s and McDonald’s can be found from Libya to London. However, the world generally has mixed reactions towards America. America is … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Kaishi Lee, Singapore, terrorism, youthjournalism.org

Looking Back: 9/11 Reactions From Students

We’re one month shy of the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Let’s take a look back at the pieces that Youth Journalism International students wrote on that horrible day: Thousands of reasons to pay attention Katie Jordan: We’ve all been told some adult or another how they felt when they heard about Pearl Harbor or Kennedy’s assassination. We’ve heard them explain what was going through their minds, and we’ve seen the far away looks on their faces as they remember. (OPINION – Sept. 11, 2001) America will rise to the challenge Kaishi Lee: Let’s face it. America’s in a frenzy after another terrorist attack. Now, why, of all countries, did terrorists choose America? (OPINION – Sept. 11, 2001) Chemistry, poetry and World War III? Mike Nguyen: I was thinking Independence Day, of the Empire State Building … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9/11, Hila Yosafi, Kaishi Lee, Melissa Luna, Mike Nguyen

Dissing Harry Potter

The first Harry Potter movie, or the book it’s based on, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone didn’t thrill YJI reporter Kaishi Lee, who was a teen living in her native Singapore when she wrote in Decmber 2001 about how the film pales in comparison to Lord of the Rings.In keeping with our build up to the opening of the latest Potter film, we present: Harry Potter falls short of Lord of the Rings  By Kaishi Lee Life with magic, it’s fantastic — or so they say.Please, I need help!Someone out there please explain the concept of this enigma called Harry Potter.Someone out there please explain the concept of this enigma called Harry Potter. To read all of Kaishi’s review, follow this link: http://tinyurl.com/2uvdkxt … Read entire article »

Filed under: Harry Potter, Kaishi Lee, Lord of the Rings, Singapore