» journalism contest

YJI Announces 2016 Journalism Contest Winners

Congratulations to the winners in this year’s Excellence in Journalism Contest, which Youth Journalism International has sponsored for seven years. You can see the winner’s list here.  Students winning the top honors will receive individually engraved crystal trophies. All the winners will get specially made award certificates. We saw lots of wonderful student work this year, including some that didn’t come out on top when judges took a look at hundreds of entries. We hope to provide links … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, journalism, journalism contest, YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

Student Writers: The Mayborn Could Be An Impressive Part Of Your College App

Young Spurs of 2014 included two Youth Journalism International reporters. Here, the group stands with author Bryan Burrough, who led the group of young writers last summer. If you are a student at a high school or community college in the United States and want to inject excitement, inspiration and purpose into your writing, consider entering the Young Spurs competition. The Young Spurs is a contest held each year through the Mayborn Literary NonfictionConference.  The Mayborn, which is … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bryan Burrough, contest, George Getschow, Jackie Majerus, James McGrath Morris, Johanna Boedenauer, journalism contest, Katie Lothrop, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Mayborn, Sheri Fink, Steve Collins, writing

An Open Invitation To Young Writers; Mayborn Contest Deadline Extended

youthjournalism.org Young Spurs at the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference meet with biographer James McGrath Morris. Last year, we at YJI met George Getschow, a tremendous journalist and writing coach, at the national conference of the Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc. We learned from him about a phenomenal opportunity for young writers and journalists: the Young Spurs competition at the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference. We attended the conference and were blown away by its welcoming community of writers … Read entire article »

Filed under: contest, George Getschow, James McGrath Morris, journalism contest, Katie Lothrop, Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference, teen journalism, Young Spurs

Blizzard Extends YJI’s Contest Deadline to Feb. 15

With schools across the northeastern United States forced to close for days by a major blizzard, Youth Journalism International has decided to extend its annual contest deadline until 11 p.m., Eastern Standard Time on Friday, Feb. 15. This should give everyone who wanted to enter the opportunity to do so. For details about the journalism contest, follow this link. If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to phone YJI or send an email to … Read entire article »

Filed under: journalism contest, youth journalism contest, Youth Journalism International

Contest Recognizes Best In Teen Journalism

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International, a Connecticut-based nonprofit, is encouraging talented teenage journalists to enter its annual contest honoring the best young reporters, photographers and cartoonists around the world. The contest, the largest worldwide, showcases the best journalism in English by young people. Contest trophies from 2010 contest “Anyone who thinks journalism is dead isn’t paying attention to the great work that young reporters and writers are doing every day, all over the world,” said Steve Collins, Youth Journalism International’s president. Winners in major categories receive crystal trophies and other prize winners receive custom-made certificates. There are a number of categories for entries, including Student Journalist of the Year, the Courage in Journalism award, Journalism Educator of the Year, The Jacinta Marie Bunnell Award for Commentary and The Frank Keegan “Take No … Read entire article »

Filed under: contest, journalism contest, scholastic journalism, YJI contest

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International, a Connecticut-based nonprofit, is encouraging talented teenage journalists to enter its annual contest honoring the best young reporters, photographers and cartoonists around the world. The contest, the largest worldwide, showcases the best journalism in English by young people. Contest trophies from 2010 contest “Anyone who thinks journalism is dead isn’t paying attention to the great work that young reporters and writers are doing every day, all over the world,” said … Read entire article »

YJI’s Journalism Contest Deadline Is Feb. 3

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International, a Connecticut-based nonprofit, is encouraging talented teenage journalists to enter its annual contest honoring the best young reporters, photographers and cartoonists around the world. The contest, the largest worldwide, showcases the best journalism in English by young people. “Every year, we see great work done by many young people all over the world. It’s a real honor for us to see it all,” said Steve Collins, Youth Journalism … Read entire article »

Filed under: 2012 Annual Contest, Excellence in Journalism Contest, journalism contest, YJI contest, Youth Journalism International

WESTHARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International, a Connecticut-basednonprofit, is encouraging talented teenage journalists to enter its annualcontest honoring the best young reporters, photographers and cartoonists aroundthe world. Thecontest, the largest worldwide, showcases the best journalism in English byyoung people. “Everyyear, we see great work done by many young people all over the world. It’s areal honor for us to see it all,” said Steve Collins, Youth JournalismInternational’s president. 2011 YJI Contest Trophies Winnersin major categories receive crystal … Read entire article »