» England

Brexit is personal to Polish student in UK

Parliament. Photo by Yelena Samofalova/youthjournalism.org By Joanna Koter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International   WHITBY, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom – I woke up on Friday, June 24 to take my math exam and headed for the bathroom to brush my teeth. I saw my friend, who is Polish too, and lives in the same boarding house. She says to me, “Do you want to hear the news?” I see her face and I instantly know the results of the voting that … Read entire article »

Filed under: England, European Union, Immigration, Joanna Koter, Poland, United Kingdom, voting

What William Shakespeare’s Town Looks Like Today, Decorated For Christmas

Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org Christmas decorations in Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of William Shakespeare. Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org *** Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Christmas, Christmas Around the World, England, Holidays, Lauren Pope, Stratford-Upon-Avon, UK, William Shakespeare

Theater Makes A WWI Truce Come To Life

Theater Makes A WWI Truce Come To Life

Lauren Pope / youthjournalism.org One of the Christmas displays in Stratford-Upon-Avon, the home of William Shakespeare. By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International STRATFORD-UPON-AVON, England – In honor of this year’s centenary anniversary of World War I, the Royal Shakespeare Company put on a production of “The Christmas Truce.” Described by a reviewer for The Telegraph as ‘respectful, insightful, powerful,’ we were all expecting great things. Set in 1914, the play followed a handful of soldiers as they prepare themselves for … Read entire article »

Filed under: Christmas, Christmas Around the World, England, Lauren Pope, peace, reviews, Stratford-Upon-Avon, theater, theater review, United Kingdom, War, William Shakespeare, World War I

Wondering What Happened To Decency As The ‘Inappropriate Selfie’ Surfaces In Sydney

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – The hostage situation in Sydney had to be one of the most shocking stories in recent times. Not only because of how quickly it has unfolded – the rapid twists and turns it took – but also due to a twist so sickening, I had to do a triple-take when I read the headline. People were taking ‘selfies’ outside the Lindt Chocolat Cafe, in the Australian city’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Myah Guild, selfie, Sydney, terrorism, U.K.

Carving Lesson: Pumpkins Are Orange, But Oranges Are Not Pumpkins

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org Without an available pumpkin to carve, YJI’s Myah Guild took a knife to an orange, with somewhat impressive results. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedforshire, England – October 31st is always an interesting day in Britain. A lot of the time, you forget what it means, and then, on the train home, you take a glance over to the person next to you, and realize it’s a ghost, Grim Reaper or Devil. It’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Halloween, Holidays, Myah Guild, U.K., United Kingdom

Scotland Voted No. Will Westminster Now Keep Its Promise About Sharing Power?

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – After years of debate, emotion and drama, Scotland voted No in Thursday’s independence referendum. The vote, reported early Friday, means Scotland will remain a part of the United Kingdom. In what was expected to be one of the closest run polls the country has ever seen, the Unionists clinched it with 55 percent of the vote compared to 45 percent for those who wanted Scotland to be an … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, elections, England, Myah Guild, Scotland, United Kingdom, voting

‘Frozen’ Has A New Kind Of Disney Princess

By Lauren Pope Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, England – The classic Disney princess has chosen to go down a new career path. No longer is she the damsel in distress, desperate to be a piece of arm candy by an ever-heroic prince’s side; no longer does she need a male presence in order to accomplish her ‘happy ever after.’ Based on the book The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen, Frozen is set in a blanket of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Binghamton, Disney, England, Frozen, Lauren Pope, movie review, movies, reviews, U.K.

Britain Is Right To Stay Out Of War In Syria

By Myah Guild Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – For the past couple of weeks or so, one country has dominated international headlines – Syria.  Though the plight and suffering of the civilians of the Middle Eastern country have been under scrutiny for almost two years, it’s recently become clear that foreign aid is essential.  For the United States, this seems to mean one thing – air strikes or other military action.  The United Kingdom has been asked, harangued, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bashar al-Assad, Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Great Britain, Iraq, President Barack Obama, Syria, United Kingdom, United States, Vladimir Putin, War

By Myah Guild Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – For the past couple of weeks or so, one country has dominated international headlines – Syria. Though the plight and suffering of the civilians of the Middle Eastern country have been under scrutiny for almost two years, it’s recently become clear that foreign aid is essential. For the United States, this seems to mean one thing – air strikes or other military action. The United Kingdom has been asked, … Read entire article »

‘We Are All Margaret Thatcher’s Children’

By Robert Guthrie Reporter YouthJournalism International DUMFRIES, Scotland – Margaret Thatcher is dead, but her stark legacy will live on long after Wednesday’s ceremonial funeral. One of the most powerful women of her time, Thatcher proved among the most influential British prime ministers ever. Her policies revolutionized the United Kingdom. It’s certainly no understatement to say, however, that the Iron Lady’s decisions were seen by Brits as controversial and divisive. Born in the quiet village of Grantham … Read entire article »

Filed under: England, Margaret Thatcher, prime minister, Robert Guthrie, Tory, United Kingdom

Filmmaker Tarantino’s Fictional ‘Django Unchained’ Lives Up To His Legacy

By Wiam Mostefai Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ENFIELD, North London, England – Director Quentin Tarantino returned to the film industry with Django Unchained after a three-year absence. Since his last offering was the 2009 Inglourious Basterds, I wondered if his new movie, staring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio, would be as good as the 1966 Western Django, directed by Sergio Corbucci. I must admit when I first saw the trailer for Django Unchained, I thought, “What … Read entire article »

Filed under: Enfield, England, movie review, North London, Wiam Mostefai

By Wiam Mostefai Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ENFIELD, North London, England – Director Quentin Tarantino returned to the film industry with Django Unchained after a three-year absence. Since his last offering was the 2009 Inglourious Basterds, I wondered if his new movie, staring Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz and Leonardo DiCaprio, would be as good as the 1966 Western Django, directed by Sergio Corbucci. I must admit when I first saw the trailer for Django Unchained, I … Read entire article »

Fantastical “Beasts Of The Southern Wild” Offers Vulnerability And Exhilaration

By Noah Kidron-Style Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LONDON, England – Director Benh Zeitlin’s hallucinogenic Beasts of the Southern Wild may well be the most exiting cinematic debut, if not the outright best film, of the year. Drawing inspiration from Hurricane Katrina – but with a resonance far beyond the admittedly effective emotional manipulation of the tsunami survival film The Impossible, Beasts of the Southern Wild is set in a fictional Louisiana bayou called The Bathtub, which lies below a levee in a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Beasts of the Southern Wild, England, London, movie review, movies, Noah Kidron-Style