» Australia

Searching for Pokémon Down Under

Searching for Pokémon Down Under

By Jack Ward Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ARARAT, Victoria, Australia — The world went crazy a few weeks ago when Nintendo paired up with Niantic and released Pokémon Go. The app, installed on millions of mobile phones, involves exploring the globe and catching animated creatures known as wild Pokémon. Nintendo released the game in Australia, New Zealand and the United States on  July 6. It was then Germany’s turn on the 13th of July, followed by the UK the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Games, Jack Ward

Push For National Women’s Australian Rules Football League Is Gaining Ground

Alyce Collett / youthjournalism.org The Demons and the Western Bulldogs faced off at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the Women’s Australian Football League match this week. By Alyce Collett Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International MELBOURNE, Australia – This week marked an important first step toward national Australian Rules football competition for women, with the first of two matches this year between teams made up of the best 50 female players in the country. The rules and regulations of these matches are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alyce Collett, Australia, sports, Women', Women's sports

Equal Coverage Needed In Women’s Sports

Equal Coverage Needed In Women’s Sports

By Alyce Collett Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International MELBOURNE, Australia – It’s International Women’s Day, and gender equality is getting better here in Australia, but there is one major area of society that is lagging behind: sports coverage. Sport is massive in Australia, but not many people realize that women play what are usually considered male sports, and how many women play these sports. These include Australian Rules Football, cricket, rugby and soccer. In Australia, all national men’s leagues … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alyce Collett, Australia, Holidays, International Women's Day, Melbourne, sports, women's rights

Bittersweet ‘Night At The Museum’

Bittersweet ‘Night At The Museum’

Official photo from Night at the Museum Facebook page. By Tasman Anderson Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISBANE, Australia – Watching Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb was like a dagger to my heart – metaphorically, of course. It wasn’t that it was a bad film or anything like that. No, it was that the film showcased the last performances – at least that have been released – of two incredibly talented actors, Robin Williams and Mickey Rooney. Night … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Brisbane, movie review, movies, reviews, Tasman Anderson

‘The Interview’ Is Bad – But In A Good Way

From a Facebook page for The Interview By Tasman Anderson Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISBANE, Australia – After months of controversy, The Interview has finally been released to the public and I’ll say the wait was worth it. For those who‘ve been living under a rock and have no idea what the movie is about, The Interview focuses on Dave Skylark, played by James Franco, and producer Aaron Rapoport, played by Seth Rogan, who land an interview for their … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Brisbane, movie review, movies, review, reviews, Tasman Anderson

Wondering What Happened To Decency As The ‘Inappropriate Selfie’ Surfaces In Sydney

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – The hostage situation in Sydney had to be one of the most shocking stories in recent times. Not only because of how quickly it has unfolded – the rapid twists and turns it took – but also due to a twist so sickening, I had to do a triple-take when I read the headline. People were taking ‘selfies’ outside the Lindt Chocolat Cafe, in the Australian city’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Myah Guild, selfie, Sydney, terrorism, U.K.

Winners Announced For YJI’s Fourth Annual Excellence In Journalism Contest

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – The heartbreaking story of a 12-year-old Pakistani girl who spent much of her life as a kitchen maid took the top newswriting award in Youth Journalism International’s 2013 Excellence in Journalism contest. Written by Arooj Khalid, a 15-year-old girl in Lahore, Pakistan, the child labor piece captured the Frank Keegan “Take No Prisoners” Award for News in this year’s contest, which recognized the best in youth journalism worldwide. Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org Saba … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, California, child labor, Colorado, Connecticut, Excellence in Journalism Contest, Pakistan, Youth Journalism International

Do You Hear The People Sing? You Sure Will In French Revolution Tale, Les Misérables

Official movie poster By Tasman Anderson Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISBANE, Australia –It’s not a common occurrence for a film to feature more singing than dialogue. However, Director Tom Hooper’s musical, Les Misérables not only achieves this, but goes one step further by having no more than a dozen words uttered throughout the entire two and a half hour film. Before seeing the movie, I had no idea what Les Misérables  was about or even that it was a novel … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Brisbane, Les Miserables, movie review, movies, Tasman Anderson

How The World’s Youth Celebrate Earth Day

By Youth Journalism International Young people around the globe who observe Earth Day shut off appliances, plant trees and try to convince others of the importance of taking care of the planet. As a lover of natural beauty, Maryam Saeed, 15, a student at Crescent Model Higher Secondary School in Lahore, Pakistan, said Earth Day is everything to her. Earth Day 2012 While every day can be celebrated as Earth Day, Saeed said, it’s still good to set one … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Armenia, Australia, Connecticut, Earth Day, Earth Day 2012, India, Malaysia, Pakistan, South Africa, South Korea, Texas, the Netherlands, Tunisia, U.S.A., Uganda, Virginia