» New York

Living In Jersey, But Schooled In NYC

Living In Jersey, But Schooled In NYC

Jeremy Pulmano / youthjournalism.org A panorama of Broad Street, Bloomfield, New Jersey. Click on the photo to enlarge. By Jeremy Pulmano Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International BLOOMFIELD, New Jersey, U.S.A. – I’ve lived in Bloomfield, New Jersey for four years, and I have not had a problem with it. However, the fact of the matter is that nothing happens here. Bloomfield is the epitome of boring. Let me explain. I go to school in New York City, the city that never sleeps, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Jeremy Pulmano, My Hometown, New Jersey, New York, New York City

For Family Fun, Try A Billy Joel Concert

By Hannah Amaral Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, New York, U.S.A. – As a child, I remember dancing around with my parents and siblings to Billy Joel songs. Joel’s music is one of the only interests that my family and I all have in common. My mom listened to him growing up and was a huge fan – she’s seen him in concert 15 times. So when we heard he would be playing not far away … Read entire article »

Filed under: concert review, Hannah Amaral, New York, New York City, reviews

YJI Students And Alums Share A Great Day Of Adventures In New York City

youthjournalism.org Embarking on the High Line are, from left: YJI alums Rachel Jennings and Jennifer Rajotte, YJI student Kiernan Majerus-Collins, alum Brian LaRue, YJI co-founder Jackie Majerus, YJI students Mary Majerus-Collins, Yelena Samofalova and Alan Burkholder. NEW YORK, N.Y. – Early Tuesday, a small group of Youth Journalism International student reporters and a couple of advisors took off from Connecticut for a day in New York City. Before the end of our day, we’d connected with YJI … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Brian LaRue, Jackie Majerus, Jennifer Rajotte, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Mary Majerus-Collins, Michael Nguyen, Natalie Ponte, New York, Rachel Jennings, Steve Collins, Yelena Samofalova

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org The Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center on Tuesday. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – Just when I thought Times Square couldn’t get any brighter, it did. The ad-filled, obscenely crowded center of New York is even more spectacular during the week of the winter holidays. youthjournalism.org YJI student reporters Alan Burkholder, Mary Majerus-Collins and Yelena Samofalova in front of a display of giant Christmas lights in New York. As we linked hands and made our way around the city blocks to prevent getting separated by … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Christmas, Holidays, Mary Majerus-Collins, New Year's Eve, New York, New York City, Rockefeller Center, travel, Yelena Samofalova

New York’s High Line Is A Natural Oasis

New York’s High Line Is A Natural Oasis

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org Walkers on the High Line in New York are treated to great views of the city. By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – Once upon a time, the High Line tracks carried trains up and down Manhattan, but those days are long gone. Since the 1980s, the wood and iron remained undisturbed by pounding wheels and speeding train cars, and as the years passed, nature slowly began to reclaim the High Line. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Kiernan Majerus-Collins, nature, New York, New York City, train, travel

Getting The Inside Scoop On Radio Journalism From The Best: WNYC

youthjournalism.org In the control room at WNYC Tuesday morning. By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – As you tune into the local news, you hear birds chirp. There is a faint sound of a nearby creek in the background as a local juice maker details the steps he takes in creating the county’s finest lemonade. While initially drawn into the scene, you are suddenly overcome with the urge to go to the bathroom. Sorry, I got … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Brian Lehrer, Karen Rouse, Mary Majerus-Collins, New York, newspapers, radio, U.S.A., WNYC

Washington Protesters Keep Focus On Police And Racial Discrimination

Tamar Gorgadze / youthjournalism.org Saturday street protests in Washington, D.C. about excessive use of force by police. By Tamar Gorgadze Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – As I walked around with a family friend from France in Washington D.C. on Saturday, the last thing I expected to see was an ongoing demonstration. Tamar Gorgadze / youthjournalism.org Two protesters in the Metro train station  in Washington Saturday. People were out protesting the unfair and mind-boggling Ferguson, Missouri, grand jury decision following the shooting in August of … Read entire article »

Filed under: New York, opinion, peaceful protest, police, protests, racism, United States, Washington

The People’s Climate March In NYC

The People’s Climate March In NYC

Emma Bally / youthjournalism.org Supporters of the women’s peace organization Code Pink hold up signs protesting war and global warming at The People’s Climate March in Manhattan, New York on Sunday afternoon. The following four photos show other activists at the march. Emma Bally / youthjournalism.org A Hare Krishna playing music at The People’s Climate March. Emma Bally / youthjournalism.org Emma Bally / youthjournalism.org A man (right) dances to live music at The People’s Climate March. Emma Bally / youthjournalism.org The march drew many people … Read entire article »

Filed under: Climate change, Emma Bally, Manhattan, New York, New York City, peaceful protest, protest

Seeing The World Through Google Glass

Seeing The World Through Google Glass

youthjournalism.orgYJI Senior Reporter Mary Majerus-Collins wearing Google Glass By Mary Majerus-Collins Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y., U.S.A. – Google’s new piece of famous tech, Google Glass, allows the user to browse the internet, take pictures and video, share on social media and more, all while remaining relatively hands-free. At the Google for Media Summit in Manhattan on Monday, I got to try it. Google Glass fits and feels just like a normal pair of glasses. The sample pair … Read entire article »

Filed under: Google, Google Glass, journalism, Manhattan, Mary Majerus-Collins, media, New York, social media

At New York Media Summit, Google Touts Fusion As New Visual Storytelling Tool

youthjournalism.org Daniel Sieberg, Head of Outreach, Google for Media, spoke at the Google for Media Summit about changes in the way news is presented and consumed. By Mary Majerus-Collins, Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International NEW YORK CITY, N.Y., U.S.A. – Ordinary data can be presented in a more interesting, visual way on a map or graph by using a new Google Drive application called Fusion. Journalists got a lesson on the application, which is still in the testing … Read entire article »

Filed under: Google, journalism, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, New York, New York City, New York Times, The New York Times, U.S.A., Yelena Samofalova

Bears Go Hungry, But Mosquitos Make A Feast Of Tasty First-Time Campers

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org The sunset at Wesley Island State Park By Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International WESLEY ISLAND STATE PARK, New York, U.S.A. – As first-time campers, we were a bit wary of what to expect the first time we spent the night in the woods. Mary Majerus-Collins /  youthjournalism.org The Toronto Tour 2014  logo Of course, we’d heard about all the usual stuff: sleeping in tents, roasting marshmallows, eating dinner by the fire and all that. We anticipated an … Read entire article »

Filed under: camp, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Thousand Islands, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Beautiful Boldt Castle And Its Sad Love Story

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org The view of the St. Lawrence River from Boldt Castle. By Mugdha Gurram and Yelena Samofalova Reporters YouthJournalism International THOUSAND ISLANDS, New York, U.S.A. – On the border between Canada and the United States, the St. Lawrence River is filled with tons of small islands, some with vacation homes on them and others just covered in trees. One of the biggest attractions in the Thousand Islands area is the vacation home and nearby yacht house of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boldt Castle, Canada, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Thousand Islands, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, United States, Yelena Samofalova

Niagara Falls Lives Up To Its Legend

Niagara Falls Lives Up To Its Legend

youthjournalism.org Niagara Falls is a spectacular sight, whether from an observation tower, where this photo was taken, or from the walkways around it. The people in the photo are using a path to the “Crow’s Nest” observation spot. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NIAGARA FALLS, New York, U.S.A. – One of the most famous attractions in the United States and Canada is Niagara Falls, a place of natural beauty surrounded by tons of museums, souvenir shops and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Maid of the Mist, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Niagara Falls, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Maid Of The Mist: A Niagara Falls Delight

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org A Maid of the Mist boat makes its way through the churning water of the Niagara River toward the falls. By Mugdha Gurram Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NIAGARA FALLS, New York, U.S.A. – Niagara Falls offers many attractions to appeal to tourists who come from all over the world, but my personal favorite is the Maid of the Mist boat ride on the New York side. This converted tugboat takes people right up to the falls, … Read entire article »

Filed under: boat, Maid of the Mist, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Niagara Falls, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, U.S.A.

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

youthjournalism.org In the Women’s Rights National Historical Park, three YJI reporters pose with statues of early women’s rights activists. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International SENECA FALLS, New York, U.S.A. – Lots of American women’s history is contained in the small town of Seneca Falls, New York. Visitors can see the Wesleyan Chapel, the National Women’s Hall of Fame and several other museums and sites. As well as learning about the key events in 1848 entering on women’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Abolition, feminism, human rights, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, National Women's Rights Park, New York, Seneca Falls, Toronto Tour 2014, voting, Yelena Samofalova