» Jessica Elsayed

Selma Today: Still So Much Work Ahead

Selma Today: Still So Much Work Ahead

Jessica Elsayed / youthjournalism.org Downtown Selma is small but a very interesting part of town with so much history. The Selma Times Journal in  is only a few steps away from the Edmund Pettus Bridge, where, in 1965, police used tear gas and clubs to beat back hundreds of civil rights protesters trying to march to Montgomery, Alabama. By Jessica Elsayed Associate Editor Youth Journalism International SELMA, Alabama, U.S.A. – I just returned from spending an incredible and enlightening week in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alabama, civil rights, Jessica Elsayed, Martin Luther King, peace, peaceful protest, protests, racism, Selma, terrorism

Never-Ending Revolutionary Revival In Egypt

Protests in Alexandria on Sunday. (Dina El Halawany/YJI) By Jessica Elsayed Associate Editor YouthJournalism International COLUMBUS, Ohio — The long anticipated 30th of June is here and people all over the world are watching, including myself on an online live stream of Egyptian channels (Some channels through nine different split screens), Twitter and Facebook newsfeeds of friends already there. Reporters have been describing the protests in the millions, as the biggest in the history of Egypt, even bigger … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Jessica Elsayed, Morsi, Muslim Brotherhood

‘Courage In Journalism’ Winner Is A New YJI Editor, Will Assist Students Worldwide

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International is tapping the talents of an accomplished alum as a new editor this summer.  YJI named Jessica Elsayed, a student at Denison University in Ohio, as an Associate Editor Friday.  Elsayed, who began writing for YJI in early 2010, quickly rose to prominence within the organization as she covered the Egyptian revolution from her hometown of Alexandria, on Egypt’s Mediterranean coast.  Her stellar work earned her YJI’s first Courage in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dennison University, Egypt, Jackie Majerus, Jessica Elsayed, youth journalism

In Pyramids’ Shadow, Egyptians Finally Vote

By Jessica Elsayed Correspondent Youth Journalism International GRANVILLE, Ohio — And today they vote. More than 50 million voters will head today and tomorrow to the polls to vote for the first time in an Egyptian presidential election whose outcome is unknown. Lines of men and women from all ages and walks of life have been lining up since the early morning and officials even needed to extend the voting time into the late evening in order to accommodate all … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arab Spring, Egypt, human rights, Jessica Elsayed

The Girl In The Blue Bra Could’ve Been Me

By Jessica Elsayed Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International COLUMBUS, Ohio, U.S.A. – In recent weeks, Egyptian soldiers beat, dragged, humiliated and tortured women protesters on the streets of Cairo. One of them, now known as the girl with the blue bra, could have been me. She was viciously attacked by soldiers who stripped her clothing away, stomped on her chest, beat and kicked her.  This would have been treated by the media as another case of violence against demonstrators and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Cairo, Columbus, democracy, Egypt, Jessica Elsayed, Ohio, protests

Egyptian Revolution, Take Two

Egyptian Revolution, Take Two

By Jessica Elsayed Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International GRANVILLE, Ohio, U.S.A. – You just don’t make the same movie twice, especially since you will know the ending. Starting Friday, Nov. 18thtill this very moment today on Tuesday, Nov. 22nd, the people of Egypt have once again taken to the streets, after much patience had slowly developed into much anger. Many people don’t know about the protests that have taken place almost every other Friday after the January 25 revolution … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, democracy, Egypt, Granville, Jessica Elsayed, Ohio, protests

The Journey Back to Cairo’s Tahrir Square

Yasser Alaa / youthjournalism.org A crowd of pro-democracy protesters in Alexandria, Egypt on Nov. 21. A translation of the sign is at the end of this entry. By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – Almost 10 months ago, immediately after Egyptians ousted former President Hosni Mubarak, I had hope and optimism – and faith in the Egyptian military. I wasn’t alone in my support for the Supreme Council for Armed Forces, or SCAF, that was to help my … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Arab Spring, Arabic, Cairo, democracy, Egypt, Jessica Elsayed, Lama Tawakkol, protests, SCAF, Tahrir Square, Yasser Alaa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

Remembering Voter Enthusiasm In Africa

In February, YJI Reporter Bwette Daniel Gilbert of Kampala, Uganda, covered his country’s election and took photos of voters in line at the polls. In March, YJI Senior Reporter Jessica Elsayed, of Alexandria, Egypt, voted for the first time in her country’s historic post-revolution election.Since it’s Election Day in America and a lot of registered voters are staying home, here’s a sample of the level of voter interest, despite some dangers, for elections in Uganda … Read entire article »

Filed under: Africa, Alexandria, Bwette Daniel Gilbert, Egypt, Election Day, Jessica Elsayed, Kampala, Uganda, voting

A Decade Later: Collected Thoughts Of 9/11

Thoughts aboutSept. 11, 2001 collected by Youth Journalism International students in interviews and in some cases, offered in personal essays by the YJI students themselves: There was a stiffness in the air.  It was a day withoutsmiles.   – Kiara Christensen, American high school student living in SaudiArabia Iwas in my first year at university. One of my friends often read the news fromCNN so the morning after that (when the event took place, it was night in VietNam due to time zones), she told me about it. My very first reaction was kindanaïve. I was like, “How come?” because at that time, I believed the U.S. is abig and powerful country and it could not be attacked just like that. And you know,there was no sign of it. Actually, I have never thought … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, 9/11, Adam Kelly, Armenia, Caroline Nelissen, Cresonia Hsieh, Egypt, England, Evan Pogue, Jessica Elsayed, Lama Tawakkol, Mariah Pulver, Narine Daneghyan, Netherlands, Saudi Arabia, Sept. 11, Thuy Le, USA, Vietnam

As Muslim, 9/11 ‘Beginning Of All My Worries’

By Jessica Elsayed Senior reporter Youth Journalism International GRANVILLE, Ohio– Last week in my college political science class my professor passed out asheet of paper with a question: “What comes to mind when you hear the wordArab?” She asked usnot to write our names on the paper and after she had collected them our class discoveredsome people also had a different paper that said, “What comes to mind when youhear the word Muslim/Islam?” There is noneed to repeat the responses we got, merely because I think we all have an ideaof what they were. Terrorist. Extremist. Violence. Oppression. Al Qaeda. BinLaden. Being away fromhome for college and being the only Arab does two things to you. One, it makesyou homesick and proud of being who you are. Two, it makes you self-consciousto see what kind of … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9/11, Islam, Jessica Elsayed, Muslims, terrorism

Meeting Jessica Elsayed In Ohio

The other day, Youth Journalism International founders Jackie Majerus and Steve Collins got the opportunity to meet Senior Reporter Jessica Elsayed for the first time. Elsayed, who reported extensively on the Egyptian uprising from her home in Alexandria, Egypt, is starting college at Dennison University in Ohio. It was, of course, glorious to finally lay eyes on each other. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Jackie Majerus, Jessica Elsayed, Steve Collins, youthjournalism.org

Ramadan, From Many Angles

Want to understand Ramadan? Youth Journalism International writers detail what it’s all about. Ramadan journal Holy time of year A month of sacrifice Celebrating Ramadan in Canada … Read entire article »

Filed under: Edrees Kakar, Jessica Elsayed, Mehran Shamit, Ramadan, Sana Ali

Just In Time For Ramadan: A Primer

Last August, Youth Journalism International Senior Reporter Jessica Elsayed began a journal to explain Ramadan as it was happening.With this year’s Ramadan slated to get underway as early as Sunday evening — different regions have different starting points — this is an opportune moment to call attention to her work.Here is her introduction from last year, followed by links to the individual journal entries that Elsayed wrote:As Ramadan begins, I will pray a lot and read the Qu’ran.But I also hope to spread through writing for Youth Journalism International what Ramadan is truly about – why and how we celebrate it – in an attempt to break the media’s stereotype and possibly create a much needed bridge between the West and Middle East.In this journal I will explain as much … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Islam, Jessica Elsayed, Ramadan

Obama’s Mideast Speech Disappoints

By Jessica Elsayed Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Though I’d prefer not to be cynical, it’s the only way I can explain some of the things that went on in the heads of the people in the Arab world recently when Barack Obama made his speech on the Middle East and North Africa. For the U.S. president to say things like, “Two leaders have stepped aside. More may follow,” can actually make an old man in a coffee shop in downtown Cairo really upset, thinking, they didn’t step aside, they were forced to. Now for some economic wisdom. “In a global economy based on knowledge and innovation, no development strategy can be based solely upon what comes out of the ground,” Obama said. As brilliant as that sounds, many will argue that without money, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Egypt, Israel, Jessica Elsayed, Middle East, Palestine, President Barack Obama, youthjournalism.org

Real Victory Over Bin Laden? Peace

By Jessica Elsayed Senior reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt — Is 2011 the year of bringing down bad leaders? I’m guessing yes.Reading the big bright headline “Osama bin Laden is Dead” at 6 a.m. this morning left me a little shaken.I thought maybe after school and some sleep the news would start to sink and I would form solid thoughts on the issue.I was wrong. I am nowhere different now, mentally, than I was before brushing my teeth.The thought I am certain of, though, is that the death of the leader of Al Qaeda is in no way the death of the Al Qaeda.So for the many people tweeting on OBL’s hash tag — “A prince gets married, the bad guy is dead. It’s a real Disney weekend here on earth” … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, George W. Bush, Jessica Elsayed, Osama Bin Laden, terrorism