» Jessica Elsayed

Never-Ending Revolutionary Revival In Egypt

Protests in Alexandria on Sunday. (Dina El Halawany/YJI) By Jessica Elsayed Associate Editor YouthJournalism International COLUMBUS, Ohio — The long anticipated 30th of June is here and people all over the world are watching, including myself on an online live stream of Egyptian channels (Some channels through nine different split screens), Twitter and Facebook newsfeeds of friends already there. Reporters have been describing the protests in the millions, as the biggest in the history of Egypt, even bigger … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Jessica Elsayed, Morsi, Muslim Brotherhood

‘Courage In Journalism’ Winner Is A New YJI Editor, Will Assist Students Worldwide

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International is tapping the talents of an accomplished alum as a new editor this summer.  YJI named Jessica Elsayed, a student at Denison University in Ohio, as an Associate Editor Friday.  Elsayed, who began writing for YJI in early 2010, quickly rose to prominence within the organization as she covered the Egyptian revolution from her hometown of Alexandria, on Egypt’s Mediterranean coast.  Her stellar work earned her YJI’s first Courage in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dennison University, Egypt, Jackie Majerus, Jessica Elsayed, youth journalism

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International is tapping the talents of an accomplished alum as a new editor this summer. YJI named Jessica Elsayed, a student at Denison University in Ohio, as an Associate Editor Friday. Elsayed, who began writing for YJI in early 2010, quickly rose to prominence within the organization as she covered the Egyptian revolution from her hometown of Alexandria, on Egypt’s Mediterranean coast. Her stellar work earned her YJI’s first Courage in … Read entire article »

In Pyramids’ Shadow, Egyptians Finally Vote

By Jessica Elsayed Correspondent Youth Journalism International GRANVILLE, Ohio — And today they vote. More than 50 million voters will head today and tomorrow to the polls to vote for the first time in an Egyptian presidential election whose outcome is unknown. Lines of men and women from all ages and walks of life have been lining up since the early morning and officials even needed to extend the voting time into the late evening in order to accommodate all … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arab Spring, Egypt, human rights, Jessica Elsayed

The Girl In The Blue Bra Could’ve Been Me

ByJessica Elsayed SeniorReporter Youth Journalism International COLUMBUS, Ohio, U.S.A.– In recent weeks, Egyptian soldiers beat, dragged, humiliated and tortured womenprotesters on the streets of Cairo. One of them, now known as the girl with theblue bra, could have been me. She was viciously attackedby soldiers who stripped her clothing away, stomped on her chest, beat andkicked her.  This would have been treated by the media as another case ofviolence against demonstrators and a new demonstration against the militarywould have followed, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Cairo, Columbus, democracy, Egypt, Jessica Elsayed, Ohio, protests

By Jessica Elsayed Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International COLUMBUS, Ohio, U.S.A. – In recent weeks, Egyptian soldiers beat, dragged, humiliated and tortured women protesters on the streets of Cairo. One of them, now known as the girl with the blue bra, could have been me. She was viciously attacked by soldiers who stripped her clothing away, stomped on her chest, beat and kicked her.  This would have been treated by the media as another case of violence against demonstrators and … Read entire article »