» Pakistan

Terrorists Poisoned Lahore’s Melting Pot

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Toddlers and children playing around the swings, people celebrating the joyous arrival of spring. It was Easter, a holiday widely celebrated in my city. This seems like the description of a nice evening at the park.  Would that it remained so. A suicide bomber attacked a local park in Lahore around 7 p.m. on Easter Sunday.  More than 60 people lost their lives and more than 300 families are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

By Amber Shakil Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Near where I live is Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, a beautiful place with birds, lakes and swings for children. It’s a popular public place for picnics, trips and family outings. I’ve been there several times.  People who live in other cities come to see it when they visit Lahore. Today, though, the park is filled with death and pain. A suicide bomber attacked the park, killing more than 60 people. Now ambulances are carrying … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Featured, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

Easter Bombing Claims Many Victims In Pakistan

Map showing location of Lahore, Pakistan.   By Irha Nadeem Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – More than 60 have lost their lives and more than 300 more were hurt in an Easter Sunday terror blast in Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, according to news reports here. While the Christian community was celebrating Easter in Pakistan on what seemed to be a normal weekend, the country was going through unrest.  On Sunday, there were protests in Islamabad, the capital city, resulting in a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Irha Nadeem, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism, YJI Students

Pakistan Must Protect Students From Terror

By Amber Shakil Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – As I walked through the corridor of my university department today, a friend told me the shocking news that terrorists had attacked another university in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. I didn’t believe her. I called my mother, who was already listening to the news and she confirmed it. This time it was Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in the northwestern part of Pakistan, not very far from the border … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, education, Pakistan, terrorism

Book Fair Offered Something For Everyone

Amber Shakil / youthjournalism.org Books related to medicine and health on display at the recent book fair in Lahore, Pakistan. Many people of all ages attended the book fair last week at Pun jab University. Amber Shakil / youthjournalism.org Amber Shakil / youthjournalism.org One of the many stalls at the book fair, which included books on a wide variety of topics. Many of the books were inexpensive, and the book fair drew many students, children and adults. Some stalls … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, book fair, Lahore, Pakistan, Pun jab University

A Reason To Light Up Lahore’s Canal

A Reason To Light Up Lahore’s Canal

Amber Shakil / youthjournalism.org Decorations on the canal in Lahore. Pakistan celebrated Resolution Day last week with decorations and festivities. Youth Journalism International’s Amber Shakil made these photos from her home city of Lahore. The nation marks March 23 as the day a resolution was passed to form the country of Pakistan.  Decorations were everywhere and these pictures show a sampling especially some of what Shakil found to be the most beautiful, which were from the canal in Lahore. Amber … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Holidays, Lahore, Pakistan

A Monument To Pakistani Statehood

A Monument To Pakistani Statehood

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org The Minar-e-Pakistan in Lahore. By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Today the people of Pakistan celebrate Pakistan Day with celebrations across the nation. It’s the 75th anniversary of a resolution that laid the foundation of struggle towards freedom and the formation of Pakistan. On March 23, 1940, the All India Muslim League, the political party for Muslims in what was then India, passed a resolution to consolidate the Muslim majority areas of British … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Holidays, Lahore, Muslim, Pakistan, Pakistan Day

The Honor Is In Education, Not Killing

The Honor Is In Education, Not Killing

By Yusra Rizvi Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International KARACHI, Pakistan – Each year in Pakistan, many hundreds of women are victims of violence and often brutally murdered in the name of “honor,” a really popular virtue in the society. Some are reported, but most are not, just because the making such incidents public brings a bad name to a family. But there are stories from almost every part of the country and sometimes, one or two incidents successfully grab the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Holidays, International Women's Day, Karachi, Pakistan, sexism, women's rights, Yusra Rizvi

Celebrating Spring In Culture-Rich Pakistan

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org The Jashn-e-Baharan Festival, or spring celebration, is underway in Lahore, Pakistan, with food and craft booths, carnival rides and more. Many more photos are in a slideshow below. By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The spring season brings happiness, color and celebration to our lives. Attractive flowers of various hues, dancing in the fresh rays of sunlight and the clear blue sky, are bearers of glad tidings. Even though some parts of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Holidays, Lahore, Pakistan, spring

Don’t Celebrate International Women’s Day. Stand Up For Women’s Rights Instead

By Amber Shakil Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – International Women’s Day, a holiday to honor women with love and respect, is celebrated in many countries every March 8. In nations around the globe, there are events on that day to inspire women and celebrate their achievements. But why do we celebrate the accomplishments of women – and pay extra respect – only on one day of the year? There are 365 days in a year, and too often, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Holidays, International Women's Day, Lahore, Pakistan, peace, Perspective, violence, women's rights

Congested Roads Mean Return To Normalcy In Pakistan After Terror Attack On School

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org A bird’s eye view of congested Jail Road in Lahore, Pakistan, from the overhead pedestrian bridge near Kinnaird College for Women.  By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Today all the colleges, schools and universities finally opened after the temporary closure following the Taliban’s Dec. 16 terrorist attack on the school in Peshawar. That meant a lot of traffic this morning as people were getting to school. Jail Road in Lahore is one of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

In Islam, Going To School Is An Act Of Jihad. The Taliban’s Terrorism Is Not.

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The terrorist attack on Peshawar on December 16 was one of the most ruthless and cruel acts of the Taliban I have ever known. The attack itself was enough to shake the length and breadth of Pakistan, but its aftermath had yet to follow. Soon after the attack on the Peshawar school, all educational institutions in the Punjab province of Pakistan and other parts of the country … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, journalism, Lahore, Pakistan, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Mall Memorial Honors Victims Of Pakistani School Attack, Condemns Taliban

Waleed Tariq / youthjournalism.org Pakistan is mourning 148 people, mostly schoolchildren, killed by Taliban gunmen at the Army Public School in Peshawar on Tuesday, Dec. 16.  At the Dolmen Mall in Clifton, Karachi, Pakistan, there is a floral memorial to remember the victims. Waleed Tariq / youthjournalism.org A sign explains the memorial. The dead are  considered martyrs because they were killed  while pursuing education. Waleed Tariq / youthjournalism.org A poster from the Special Olympics of Pakistan in support of the victims. Waleed Tariq … Read entire article »

Filed under: Karachi, Pakistan, Peshawar, school violence, terrorism, Waleed Tariq

Pakistan School Attack: How Should We Respond To Those Who Speak In Violence?

By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – Today in Pakistan the Taliban struck again, with the same merciless manner some have been forced to know all too well. While many across the world went about their daily lives, studying their different subjects and conversing with friends, others were not so lucky. The most recent reports say 132 children and nine staff members were killed at a school in Peshawar. If my classmates and I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, Lauren Pope, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Peshawar, Taliban, terrorism, United Kingdom

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Children are the angels of heaven. They are innocent little flowers, their smiles can soften even the coldest hearts. That is what I knew and believed to be true, but today’s heinous event has turned everything upside down. The Taliban attacked a school in Peshawar and the result is more than 130 students dead. This is no terrorist attack. It’s an attack on humanity, it’s an attack on myself.I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, Pakistan, Peshawar, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism