» Myah Guild

Seventy Years After Its Liberation, Auschwitz Is Still Chilling To This Young Visitor

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The fence around Auschwitz, which was electrified when the camp was in operation. Desperate prisoners sometimes made a suicidal run at the fence to escape the horrors of the concentration camp. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International OSWIECIM, Poland – No words can truly describe what visiting Auschwitz is like. Even now, months after I spent time, there, I still struggle to comprehend what I saw and heard. I suppose it’s because I never really … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Featured, history, Holocaust, Myah Guild, Poland, terrorism, travel, World War II

Krakow: Schindler’s Factory And Much More

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org A side street in Old Town, Krakow. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Krakow “Beautiful, historic and a good day and night out” 5 stars KRAKOW, Poland – Before we got to Krakow, my friends and I had to establish how to pronounce the name of the place properly. Finding out was easier than we thought, but still left us unsure. We sat with four Polish people on the train, and found the answer not as helpful as … Read entire article »

Filed under: Krakow, Myah Guild, Poland, travel

Wondering What Happened To Decency As The ‘Inappropriate Selfie’ Surfaces In Sydney

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – The hostage situation in Sydney had to be one of the most shocking stories in recent times. Not only because of how quickly it has unfolded – the rapid twists and turns it took – but also due to a twist so sickening, I had to do a triple-take when I read the headline. People were taking ‘selfies’ outside the Lindt Chocolat Cafe, in the Australian city’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Myah Guild, selfie, Sydney, terrorism, U.K.

European Journey Stops In German Capital

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org Inside the Holocaust memorial in Berlin, Germany. Berlin “Striking and Diverse” 3 stars By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BERLIN, Germany – As a history fanatic, I eagerly anticipated my visit to Berlin. We arrived into the worst thunderstorm I’ve ever seen. The rain was falling down in sheets that drenched you the minute you stepped outside. It was leaking through the shelters, and the lightning was so close, I thought it might hit the station. Despite the most … Read entire article »

Filed under: Berlin, Berlin Wall, Germany, Holocaust, Myah Guild, travel

Carving Lesson: Pumpkins Are Orange, But Oranges Are Not Pumpkins

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org Without an available pumpkin to carve, YJI’s Myah Guild took a knife to an orange, with somewhat impressive results. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedforshire, England – October 31st is always an interesting day in Britain. A lot of the time, you forget what it means, and then, on the train home, you take a glance over to the person next to you, and realize it’s a ghost, Grim Reaper or Devil. It’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Halloween, Holidays, Myah Guild, U.K., United Kingdom

Scotland Voted No. Will Westminster Now Keep Its Promise About Sharing Power?

By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – After years of debate, emotion and drama, Scotland voted No in Thursday’s independence referendum. The vote, reported early Friday, means Scotland will remain a part of the United Kingdom. In what was expected to be one of the closest run polls the country has ever seen, the Unionists clinched it with 55 percent of the vote compared to 45 percent for those who wanted Scotland to be an … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, elections, England, Myah Guild, Scotland, United Kingdom, voting

Scotland’s Rich Diversity Could Sway Thursday’s National Independence Vote

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The view over Lossiemouth Marina, Lossiemouth, in the Scottish highlands. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International FORRES, Moray, Scotland – On Thursday, when Scotland holds a vote on national independence, the United Kingdom will change forever. Whether Scotland votes for or against independence, the door has been opened and, as many people have observed over recent eventful weeks, it is not one which can be fully closed again. It’s not a well-liked opinion, but one … Read entire article »

Filed under: Election Day, elections, Elgin, Myah Guild, Scotland, U.K., voting

Touring Scandinavia, Sampling The Sights

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.orgThe view of the fjord across from the Oslo opera house. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International OSLO “Pristine, but pricey” 3 stars OSLO, Norway – The first stop on my month-long trip around Europe was Oslo, capital city of Norway, the country famed for its mythology and rich history. On the way in, there was beautiful green scenery and cottages on rolling hills, just as I expected. The city, however, was quite different. Very clean, tidy … Read entire article »

Filed under: Copenhagen, Denmark, Myah Guild, Norway, Oslo, Scandinavia, Stockholm, Sweden, train, travel

Thousands Mourn MH 17 Crash Victims With Silent March In Streets Of Amsterdam

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org A crowd marches silently in tribute to the victims of the MH 17 plane crash. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International AMSTERDAM, The Netherlands – A large crowd took to the streets in Amsterdam this evening in tribute to those who died aboard the Malaysian Airlines MH 17 plane that was shot down over Ukraine last week. Today, as the first bodies arrived from Ukraine, was a National Day of Mourning in the Netherlands. Of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amsterdam, Myah Guild, Netherlands, peaceful protest, United Kingdom

A Boy, A Boat And A Bengal Tiger

A Boy, A Boat And A Bengal Tiger

By Myah Guild Reporter YouthJournalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – The visual masterpiece that is Life of Pi hit our screens at the end of 2012 and has wowed audiences worldwide ever since. Director Ang Lee’s adaptation of the 2001 novel by Yann Martel follows the story of Piscine ‘Pi’ Patel, the son of an Indian zookeeper as he battles to survive as a castaway, with only a Bengal tiger for company. Instantly fascinating is the beauty and clarity of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Life of Pi, movie review, Myah Guild, Oscars, reviews

A Boy, A Boat And A Bengal Tiger

A Boy, A Boat And A Bengal Tiger

If Justice Is Done, ‘Les Mis’ Will Win Oscars

By Myah Guild Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – Director Tom Hooper’s long-awaited adaptation of the consistently acclaimed novel and musical Les Misérables finally hit UK screens on January 11 and surely set the bar high for 2013 in film. Everything from the cinematography to the world-famous score was done in epic style. Following the life of convict Jean Valjean, played by Hugh Jackman, Les Misérables is a story of change and time as well as social … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bedfordshire, Dunstable, England, Les Miserables, movie review, movies, Myah Guild, Oscars

The Hobbit’s Journey Is A True Adventure

By Myah Guild Reporter Youth Journalism International DUNSTABLE, Bedfordshire, England – Almost 10 years after The Lord of the Rings: The Return of The King wowed audiences and critics alike, fans of director Peter Jackson’s trilogy have long awaited the arrival of Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. First published in 1937, J.R.R. Tolkien’s prequel to the Lord of the Rings explores the adventures of Frodo’s uncle, Bilbo Baggins, and his part in a dwarfish quest 60 years earlier. Immediately stunning is … Read entire article »

Filed under: movie review, movies, Myah Guild, The Hobbit