» Texas

Prizewinning photojournalists tell how work can stand out in a sea of instant images

By Garret Reich Reporter Youth Journalism International GRAPEVINE, Texas, U.S.A. – It is a common saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. And it is – regardless of what language you speak, the religion you take faith in, or the part of the world you reside. At the Mayborn Literary Nonfiction Conference outside of Dallas, Texas, four Pulitzer Prize winners spoke about their international experiences with photojournalism and offered advice to fellow photographers. The four panelists – Smiley … Read entire article »

Filed under: Carol Guzy, Garret Reich, journalism, Mayborn, Mayborn Conference, photography, Pulitzer Prize\, Texas, YJI Students

The Annual Oscars Disappointment

The Annual Oscars Disappointment

Jonathan Lee / youthjournalism.org By Jonathan Lee Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International EL PASO, Texas, U.S.A. – The Oscars – whether you’re a movie person or not, you’ve probably heard of this prestigious award show. You’ve also probably been sorely disappointed by the results. Maybe you were rooting for the reclusive Song of the Sea to win top honors for best animated feature film, or maybe the fast-paced jazz-inspired movie, Whiplash to take the cake. Whatever it may be, it seemed … Read entire article »

Filed under: Academy Awards, awards, El Paso, Jonathan Lee, movies, Oscars, Texas, U.S.A.

Gardens Are The Best Part Of The Alamo

Gardens Are The Best Part Of The Alamo

youthjournalism.org Nighttime at the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – The phrase “Remember the Alamo!” is fairly well known, as is its inspiration. Many Americans have some faint inkling of what happened here in 1836, but not much more than that. I always imagined the Alamo as a stone building in the middle of a desert. I could not have been more wrong about the desert. The Alamo today is a small complex … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alamo, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, San Antonio, Texas, travel

Journalist James Foley Put His Life On The Line For Truth And Deserves Our Respect

Journalist James Foley in Tripoli, Libya in August, 2011. Photo by Jonathan Pedneault, used with permission through the www.freejamesfoley.org website.   By Eli Winter Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – He risked his life for our news. I write this, sitting in a safe neighborhood in greater Houston, with headphones on and internet connected, far removed from any and all conflict, barring the occasional wars of words whenever my natural teenage instinct to disagree with most of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, Houston, James Foley, journalism, Syria, Texas, U.S.A.

Playing Roles With No Restraints, Robin Williams Left Us The Gift Of Laughter

Publicity photo Robin Williams, left, and Matt Damon, in the film Good Will Hunting By Eli Winter Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – Robin Williams died early Monday morning in what The New York Times reported was a suicide resulting from asphyxia. His death felt like losing a friend. To so many of us, he was just that. His jokes were literally – at least on set – out of this world at times, with his role of Mork on the hit … Read entire article »

Filed under: Appreciation, Eli Winter, Houston, movies, Robin Williams, Texas, U.S.A.

Bitterness In The Land Of Milk And Honey

Eli Winter / youthjournalism.org The sun rises over the ancient fort of Masada. By Eli WinterSenior Reporter Youth Journalism International ISRAEL – Israel is a country at once captivating and challenging, truly devastating in its beauty. Everywhere you look, there’s a view that looks like it was made to be put on the front side of a postcard.  There’s the sunrise at the ancient fort of Masada, the sun’s reflection off of the Sea of Galilee, the gorgeous Baha’i … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Eli Winter, Houston, Israel, Negev Desert, Texas, travel, United States, Wailing Wall

In ‘Mitty,’ Some Dreams Don’t Come True

In ‘Mitty,’ Some Dreams Don’t Come True

Ben Stiller in “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” By Cara Maines Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – Although “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” has the potential to be a contemplative, thought-provoking film, it ultimately fails because director Ben Stiller attempts instead to make it a feel-good classic. “The Secret Life of Walter Mitty” follows Stiller in the title role for over two hours as he chases after the love of his life, Cheryl Melhoff (Kristen … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cara Maines, Houston, movie review, reviews, Texas, U.S.A.

Texas Teen Lists His 2013 Musical Favorites

By Eli Winter Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – Here’s my favorite music released this year.  You may not know all of the musicians discussed here, but don’t let that scare you. There’s something for everyone here. I use the word “favorite” in place of the word “best” this year for two reasons: First, because it’s a more accurate reflection of my music tastes; second and because this way I won’t have to decide which album or … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, Houston, music review, reviews, Texas, U.S.A.

By Eli Winter Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – Here’s my favorite music released this year.  You may not know all of the musicians discussed here, but don’t let that scare you. There’s something for everyone here. I use the word “favorite” in place of the word “best” this year for two reasons: First, because it’s a more accurate reflection of my music tastes; second and because this way I won’t have to decide which album … Read entire article »

After Fifty Years, Sorrow Lingers At The Dallas Site Where An Assassin Killed JFK

Kiernan Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org The view of the Texas School Book Depository from near the spot where President Kennedy was shot.   By Kiernan Majerus-Collins   Correspondent  Youth Journalism International  DALLAS, Texas, U.S.A. – Looking out the sixth floor window of the Texas School Book Depository, you can see a river of pale concrete running from downtown Dallas through Dealey Plaza and out into the world beyond. President John F. Kennedy From this height, the road seems to be flanked by plains of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Dallas, Grassy Knoll, JFK, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, President John F. Kennedy, Texas, United States

Kiernan Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org The view of the Texas School Book Depository from near the spot where President Kennedy was shot. By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International DALLAS, Texas, U.S.A. – Looking out the sixth floor window of the Texas School Book Depository, you can see a river of pale concrete running from downtown Dallas through Dealey Plaza and out into the world beyond. President John F. Kennedy From this height, the road seems to be flanked by plains of green … Read entire article »

Proposed Boy Scout Change To Include Gay Youth Must Also Include Adult Leaders

By Eli Winter  Reporter  Youth Journalism International  HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – The Boy Scouts of America today announced a proposed amendment to their ban on gay Scouts. If the proposition is approved by the organization’s National Council, the Scouts will no longer deny “youth … membership … on the basis of sexual orientation or preference alone.” On the surface, this might seem a positive change. After all, children throughout the whole nation would now be able to put on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boy Scouts, Eli Winter, Houston, Texas

New Strokes Album Rivals The Band’s Best

By Eli Winter Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – The Strokes have never been known for their predictability. Comedown Machine, their new album released today, proudly reaffirms that idea. With this latest record, you hear the New York band evolving, slowly but surely, from their scruffy, apathetic threads of a decade ago to some nice, shiny, New Wave clothes from the 1980s. A quick refresher on the history of The Strokes – their debut EP started … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, Houston, music review, reviews, Texas, The Strokes

Scouts Must Do Their Duty And Accept Gays

Boy Scout Oath On my honor I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight. By Eli Winter Reporter And Isaac Winter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A. – As former Boy Scouts, we know the Scout Oath by heart, but over our six years spent in scouting, its meaning faded for us. Many other boys don’t … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boy Scouts, Eli Winter, Houston, Isaac Winter, Texas