» Islam

Terror hurts Muslims, too

Terror hurts Muslims, too

By Hila Yosafi Youth Journalism International STORRS, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) At about 9 a.m., my friend IMs me as I’m printing something for class: “Turn on the TV!” WOW. I see the first fire starting in one of the towers — a live picture. It didn’t sink into me. A plane crashed. Maybe I’m just such a pacifist that it didn’t even occur to me it was a hijacking. Ii just thought it was kinda ironic that it crashed … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Connecticut, Hila Yosafi, Islam, Muslims, Storrs, terrorism

Muslim American teen grieves with Orlando

By Diana Awawdeh Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TINLEY PARK, Illinois, U.S.A. – The attack early Sunday at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history – is affecting everyone all over the country. As a Muslim American, I am disgusted by the behavior of the shooter, Omar Mateen and ISIS. Islam is a religion of peace and does not deal with any violence. ISIS and its supporters use Islam as an excuse … Read entire article »

Filed under: bigotry, Diane Awawdeh, gay pride, human rights, Islam, Muslim-American, Muslims, Orlando, religion, religious freedom, terrorism, Tinley Park

Victims In Paris Attack Are Wrongly Being Used Worldwide As Political Pawns

By Emily Couch Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International COTLEIGH, Devon, England – Seventeen individuals died during Paris’s horrific three days of terror, 17 people from families who each mourn the loss of a father, son, daughter or relation. Whatever the circumstances, death is shattering for those left behind.  With this in mind, I want to pose a question: how would you feel if your loved one was lost under that weighty millstone, the symbolism of his … Read entire article »

Filed under: Al Qaeda, Cotleigh, Devon, Emily Couch, free speech, Islam, journalism, Muslims, terrorism, U.K., United Kingdom

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Children are the angels of heaven. They are innocent little flowers, their smiles can soften even the coldest hearts. That is what I knew and believed to be true, but today’s heinous event has turned everything upside down. The Taliban attacked a school in Peshawar and the result is more than 130 students dead. This is no terrorist attack. It’s an attack on humanity, it’s an attack on myself.I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, Pakistan, Peshawar, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Was A Muslim Student Stabbed To Death For Wearing A Hijab In Immigrant-Friendly UK?

By Martina Ghinetti Reporter Youth Journalism International CAMBRIDGE, United Kingdom – While the video of British Muslims dancing to the “Happy” tune by Pharrell Williams has gone viral and has sparked a lot of controversy among Muslim communities here in England and abroad, not many have heard the name of Nahid Almanea in the news. Nahid Almanea was a 31-year-old student at the University of Essex who was stabbed to death June 17 while walking to attend a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cambridge, Islam, Italy, Martina Ghinetti, murder, Muslim, Muslim students, Muslims, U.K., United Kingdom

Nothing Honorable About Barbaric Killing Of Pakistani Woman By Her Own Family

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – A woman married a man she loved. This doesn’t sound like an unpalatable crime. But the family of Farzana Iqbal stoned her to death Tuesday because she did so. Not somewhere in the unknown undeveloped areas, not in secret, but in front of other people, in my city of Lahore, in front of the high court building. Many people might even have ignored this happening because it’s nothing … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, murder, Pakistan, women's rights

Don’t Let Syria Become Another Genocidal War For The Sake Of Democracy

By Ahlem Ben Mohammed Nasraoui Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TUNIS, Tunisia – Chemical weapons caught the interest of those in the developed world intent on finding an urgent solution for the civil war in Syria. We cannot deny the fact that the war and death germinated in this area was fed by hatred, censorship, violence and abuse of human rights. From my own prospective, in Tunisia, former President Ben Ali was ousted because of his corrupt government and nepotism. The so-called Arab … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ahlem Ben Mohammed Nasraoui, Arab Spring, democracy, Islam, Muslim, Syria, Tunis, Tunisia, United States, War

From Saudi Arabia, Boston Born American Muslim Grieves Marathon Bombing Victims

By Nawall Hassan Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia – Tragedy is the unavoidable menace that walks among us, striking at the most unexpected of times. On the gloriously clear-skied day of April 15th, 2013, children and adults alike in Boston – my hometown – left their homes with the intention of spending a memorable day at the famed Copley Square with loved ones. No one was anticipating that they would soon be the victims to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boston, Boston Marathon bombing, Islam, Jeddah, Muslim, Nawall Hassan, Quran, Saudi Arabia, terrorism, Yelena Samofalova

By Nawall Hassan Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International JEDDAH, Saudi Arabia – Tragedy is the unavoidable menace that walks among us, striking at the most unexpected of times. On the gloriously clear-skied day of April 15th, 2013, children and adults alike in Boston – my hometown – left their homes with the intention of spending a memorable day at the famed Copley Square with loved ones. No one was anticipating that they would soon be the victims to a … Read entire article »

Outrage Should Stir Action To Stop Taliban

By Madison Pollard Reporter Youth Journalism International LONDON, England – There was public outrage when the story broke that the Taliban had stopped a bus in Swat, Pakistan, and shot a teenage girl in the head. Further outrage ensued when it was revealed that she was targeted because she believed that girls should have the right to an education. Malala Yousafzai is a 14-year-old Pakistani, known for her political activism. When the Taliban seized control of the Swat Valley … Read entire article »

Filed under: education, England, Islam, London, Madison Pollard, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Taliban