» Featured

YJI Announces 2016 Journalism Contest Winners

Congratulations to the winners in this year’s Excellence in Journalism Contest, which Youth Journalism International has sponsored for seven years. You can see the winner’s list here.  Students winning the top honors will receive individually engraved crystal trophies. All the winners will get specially made award certificates. We saw lots of wonderful student work this year, including some that didn’t come out on top when judges took a look at hundreds of entries. We hope to provide links … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, journalism, journalism contest, YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

A Terrorist Struck My Neighborhood Park

By Amber Shakil Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Near where I live is Gulshan-e-Iqbal Park, a beautiful place with birds, lakes and swings for children. It’s a popular public place for picnics, trips and family outings. I’ve been there several times.  People who live in other cities come to see it when they visit Lahore. Today, though, the park is filled with death and pain. A suicide bomber attacked the park, killing more than 60 people. Now ambulances are carrying … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, Featured, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

Seventy Years After Its Liberation, Auschwitz Is Still Chilling To This Young Visitor

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The fence around Auschwitz, which was electrified when the camp was in operation. Desperate prisoners sometimes made a suicidal run at the fence to escape the horrors of the concentration camp. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International OSWIECIM, Poland – No words can truly describe what visiting Auschwitz is like. Even now, months after I spent time, there, I still struggle to comprehend what I saw and heard. I suppose it’s because I never really … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Featured, history, Holocaust, Myah Guild, Poland, terrorism, travel, World War II

Lesson From The Librarian Of Congress: To Understand The World, Read Stories

youthjournalism.org Yelena Samofalova of Youth Journalism International interviews Librarian of Congress James Billington.   By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Stories are essential to understanding the world – far more important than any theory, according to James Billington, America’s Librarian of Congress. “A story always brings people together,” Billington said. “You want to hear the story. You want to know how it ends.”Any good story is worth reading, said Billington, who has led the Library of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hartford, James Billington, Library of Congress, Yelena Samofalova

Holding Inspiration In My Hand, Managing Loss, And Realizing What’s Important

youthjournalism.org The rock that Nelba Márquez-Greene gave to Matthew Albrecht   By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – I met many inspiring people at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday, but one woman stood out.  Nelba Márquez-Greenelost her daughter Ana in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown in 2012. In her grief, she founded The Ana Grace Project, which works to keeps Ana’s memory alive and spread the message, “Love Wins.”  I had the good fortune … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Hartford, Matthew Albrecht, Nelba Márquez-Greene, Newtown, nonviolence, peace, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, U.S.A.

Women Deserve ‘Half The Sky,’ Writers Argue

By Rachel Glogowski and Stefan Koski Associate Editors Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Although slavery in the traditional sense of the term was banished from modern American society, journalist Sheryl WuDunn says we have a long way to go in order to defeat similar “evil traditions” across the globe. “Enslavement of girls and women is just so oppressive,” said WuDunn, who together with her husband, New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof, travelled China as foreign correspondents. WuDunn and Kristof were keynote … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, Rachel Glogowski, Stefan Koski, women's rights

Hornby Rose From Slacker To Worldwide Fame

Nick Hornby at West Hartford, Connecticut’s Kingswood Oxford School Photos: youthjournalism.org By Alma Macbride Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Conn., USA – Sometimes being a slacker pays off. British author Nick Hornby called himself “a terrible student” who did almost nothing in school except listen to a lot of music. He said he hung out at record stores, watched soccer and rarely studied. It turned out, though, that his mistakes helped inspire his novels. “All the time I wasted wasn’t wasted,” Hornby … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alma Macbride, Featured, Nick Hornby

Dalai Lama calls for new century of dialogue and peace

Youth Journalism International Senior reporter Pushkal Shivam got the chance to question the Dalai Lama. Here is the exclusive result… By Pushkal Shivam Senior reporter Youth Journalism International MUMBAI, India – With a wave of his hand, the Dalai Lama said that his generation “is ready to say goodbye” after living through a century that became “the center of bloodshed.”     The Dalai Lama in Mumbai, India. Pushkal Shivam/youthjournalism.org   The Dalai Lama, 75, told Youth Journalism International that those who are under 20 … Read entire article »

Filed under: Dalai Lama, Featured, Mumbai, Pushkal Shivam, youthjournalism.org

Wherever You Are, YJI Is There, Too

Wherever You Are, YJI Is There, Too

A Youth Journalism International reporter in Toronto, Mehran Shamit, came up with this to start the new year. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, Uncategorized