» Alexandria

Stunning Sunset At The Egyptian Shore

Stunning Sunset At The Egyptian Shore

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org A view of the setting sun and rising moon from the Aida private Mediterranean beach in Montazah, Alexandria, Egypt. Calm waves were hitting the shore, the golden sand sparkled under the fading sun and a boat sailed away in the distance. ***  Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, photography

Best Way To Feel Good? Do Good

Best Way To Feel Good? Do Good

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org Couples at a recent charity wedding for orphans in Alexandria, Egypt. By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – You know those days when you wake up feeling like crap? When you’d rather stay at home and do nothing? I woke up one day not long ago, not feeling that great and I thought about missing the charity event I was invited to attend. It was a group wedding for five couples, all orphans … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, Rotaract

Happy Egyptians Celebrate Morsi’s Ouster

By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt — After four days of continuous effort and determination, all our demands are finally met In the crowds gathered in the Sidi Gaber neighborhood in Alexandria, we heard the military had issued a travel ban on President Mohamed Morsi and some of the Muslim Brotherhood. It also barred him from making political decisions. We’d been waiting for hours for the military’s speech before learning that Morsi is no longer our … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, Morsi

Egyptians Filled With Hope As Deadline Nears

By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Millions of Egyptians out there in the streets, standing firm and showing more determination than ever to achieve what they started this revolution for in the first placeAs part of the crowd of protesters in the Sidi Gaber neighborhood, I couldn’t have felt more honored to walk among the people.Protests just keep getting more crowded every day because people want to make a change.They cheered, sang and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, revolution

Egyptians Protesters Want A New President

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org Protesters in the streets of Alexandria, Egypt, on Sunday.  By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – People are gathering in front of the train station in the Sidi Gaber section of the city, demanding that President Mohamed Morsi leave office. Holding Egyptian flags and signs asking the president to leave, the crowd seems hopeful, strong and determined. The event is peaceful, and participants are kind and helpful. I felt safe there. Everyone … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, democracy, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, peaceful protest, protests

Egypt Rises Again, For ‘Safety And Freedom’

youthjournalism.org Protesters in Alexandria, Egypt on Sunday   By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Here we are on the 30th of June, an exceptional day where, finally, a beam of light will shine through the darkness. It’s not only the beginning of a new revolution, but also the day we’ve been impatiently waiting for. The name of this revolution is “Rebel,” which began as a campaign which was launched in late April by members of the opposition in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, peaceful protest, protest, protests

youthjournalism.org Protesters in Alexandria, Egypt on Sunday By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Here we are on the 30th of June, an exceptional day where, finally, a beam of light will shine through the darkness.It’s not only the beginning of a new revolution, but also the day we’ve been impatiently waiting for. The name of this revolution is “Rebel,” which began as a campaign which was launched in late April by members of the opposition in … Read entire article »

‘Courage In Journalism’ Winner Is A New YJI Editor, Will Assist Students Worldwide

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International is tapping the talents of an accomplished alum as a new editor this summer.  YJI named Jessica Elsayed, a student at Denison University in Ohio, as an Associate Editor Friday.  Elsayed, who began writing for YJI in early 2010, quickly rose to prominence within the organization as she covered the Egyptian revolution from her hometown of Alexandria, on Egypt’s Mediterranean coast.  Her stellar work earned her YJI’s first Courage in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dennison University, Egypt, Jackie Majerus, Jessica Elsayed, youth journalism

Feeling Like Royalty At A Presidential Ball

By Khloe Krizek Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Virginia, U.S.A. – I felt like a princess at my first-ever formal ball. youthjournalism.org Khloe Krizek Held last Saturday, it was the Youth Presidential Inaugural Ball at the Crystal City Gateway Marriott in Arlington, Virginia.There were a lot of kids dressed up, and that’s unusual for most kids. When we arrived, we found a table and listened to the invocation and welcoming remarks. Then we had a nice dinner of chicken and mashed potatoes … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Khloe Krizek, U.S.A., Virginia

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are

Shopping.Dina El Halawany/YouthJournalism.org By Dina El Halawany Junior Reporter YouthJournalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Are you one of the people cursed with fashion addiction? Do you spend countless hours following fashion news and shopping for the perfect outfits? If so, then you obviously don’t know what fashion really is. Fashion is a trend with no rules. It depends on each individual’s personal style. It is the way you express yourself to the world and it’s affected by both your mood … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, fashion, shopping

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are

Don’t Let Fashion Dictate Who You Are

At The Barricades In Alexandria, Egypt

At The Barricades In Alexandria, Egypt

There were fierce clashes in some parts of Egypt today as the country’s first presidential election draws near. Here is a photograph of one protester in Alexandria. Protester in front of a military barrier in Alexandria, Egypt.Yasser Alaa/YouthJournalism.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Arab Spring, Egypt, photographs, Yasser Alaa

At The Barricades In Alexandria, Egypt

At The Barricades In Alexandria, Egypt