» Mary Majerus-Collins

YJI Students And Alums Share A Great Day Of Adventures In New York City

youthjournalism.org Embarking on the High Line are, from left: YJI alums Rachel Jennings and Jennifer Rajotte, YJI student Kiernan Majerus-Collins, alum Brian LaRue, YJI co-founder Jackie Majerus, YJI students Mary Majerus-Collins, Yelena Samofalova and Alan Burkholder. NEW YORK, N.Y. – Early Tuesday, a small group of Youth Journalism International student reporters and a couple of advisors took off from Connecticut for a day in New York City. Before the end of our day, we’d connected with YJI … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Brian LaRue, Jackie Majerus, Jennifer Rajotte, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, Mary Majerus-Collins, Michael Nguyen, Natalie Ponte, New York, Rachel Jennings, Steve Collins, Yelena Samofalova

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org The Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center on Tuesday. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – Just when I thought Times Square couldn’t get any brighter, it did. The ad-filled, obscenely crowded center of New York is even more spectacular during the week of the winter holidays. youthjournalism.org YJI student reporters Alan Burkholder, Mary Majerus-Collins and Yelena Samofalova in front of a display of giant Christmas lights in New York. As we linked hands and made our way around the city blocks to prevent getting separated by … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Christmas, Holidays, Mary Majerus-Collins, New Year's Eve, New York, New York City, Rockefeller Center, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Getting The Inside Scoop On Radio Journalism From The Best: WNYC

youthjournalism.org In the control room at WNYC Tuesday morning. By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – As you tune into the local news, you hear birds chirp. There is a faint sound of a nearby creek in the background as a local juice maker details the steps he takes in creating the county’s finest lemonade. While initially drawn into the scene, you are suddenly overcome with the urge to go to the bathroom. Sorry, I got … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Brian Lehrer, Karen Rouse, Mary Majerus-Collins, New York, newspapers, radio, U.S.A., WNYC

Thumbs Up For Creepy Coliseum

Thumbs Up For Creepy Coliseum

Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org A side view of the replica of the Roman Coliseum in a Halloween yard display on North Main Street in West Hartford, Connecticut. Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org A replica of a Roman temple stands next to the creepy Coliseum. Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org The front door of the house is flanked by bloody skeletal gladiators and a coffin rests in the middle of the walkway to the door. Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org More figures on the side of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Halloween, Holidays, Mary Majerus-Collins, U.S.A., United States, West Hartford, Yelena Samofalova

Seeing The World Through Google Glass

Seeing The World Through Google Glass

youthjournalism.orgYJI Senior Reporter Mary Majerus-Collins wearing Google Glass By Mary Majerus-Collins Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y., U.S.A. – Google’s new piece of famous tech, Google Glass, allows the user to browse the internet, take pictures and video, share on social media and more, all while remaining relatively hands-free. At the Google for Media Summit in Manhattan on Monday, I got to try it. Google Glass fits and feels just like a normal pair of glasses. The sample pair … Read entire article »

Filed under: Google, Google Glass, journalism, Manhattan, Mary Majerus-Collins, media, New York, social media

At New York Media Summit, Google Touts Fusion As New Visual Storytelling Tool

youthjournalism.org Daniel Sieberg, Head of Outreach, Google for Media, spoke at the Google for Media Summit about changes in the way news is presented and consumed. By Mary Majerus-Collins, Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International NEW YORK CITY, N.Y., U.S.A. – Ordinary data can be presented in a more interesting, visual way on a map or graph by using a new Google Drive application called Fusion. Journalists got a lesson on the application, which is still in the testing … Read entire article »

Filed under: Google, journalism, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, New York, New York City, New York Times, The New York Times, U.S.A., Yelena Samofalova

Bears Go Hungry, But Mosquitos Make A Feast Of Tasty First-Time Campers

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org The sunset at Wesley Island State Park By Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International WESLEY ISLAND STATE PARK, New York, U.S.A. – As first-time campers, we were a bit wary of what to expect the first time we spent the night in the woods. Mary Majerus-Collins /  youthjournalism.org The Toronto Tour 2014  logo Of course, we’d heard about all the usual stuff: sleeping in tents, roasting marshmallows, eating dinner by the fire and all that. We anticipated an … Read entire article »

Filed under: camp, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, New York, Thousand Islands, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Sand In Our Shoes: Hiking The Dunes Trail

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org Part of the Sand Dune Trail at Sandbanks Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada. By Yelena Samofalova, Mugdha Gurram and Mary Majerus-Collins Reporters Youth Journalism International SANDBANKS PROVINCIAL PARK, Ontario, Canada – A circular, winding path leads through the dunes next to Lake Ontario. Gravel, boardwalk and sand compose the path and each step onto the loose wooden planks sends your feet dipping down into the sand. The path leads through and around the dunes, through many trees and past … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, Ontario, sand dunes, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Toronto’s Harbourfront Has Plenty For All

Mugdha Gurram / youthjournalism.org A fire eater performs before a crowd on Toronto’s Harbourfront By Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – Toronto’s Harbourfront draws young people for its views, food and atmosphere. All sorts of people showed up one recent sunny Saturday. Yiqing Zhai, who is 22 and attends Seneca College, said although she lives in Scarporoat, a nearby town, she comes to Toronto often. She usually comes for shopping and going out to different eateries in the city. That day, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Lubaba Samin, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mehran Shamit, Mugdha Gurram, news, Toronto, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Toronto Tour 2014: Meeting The City And Each Other, Then Working Together

youthjournalism.org YJI reporters Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram, both of Connecticut, enjoy the Toronto Harbourfront. By Mugdha Gurram Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada  – Toronto is a large and beautiful city, and we were welcomed kindly by the people we met there, although the collies with us may have had a part in that. Even though we spent most of the day at the Harbourfront, we did get to see a lot of Toronto while walking around the city, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Caroline Nelissen, Lubaba Samin, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mehran Shamit, Mugdha Gurram, Teague Neal, Toronto, Toronto Tour 2014, travel, Yelena Samofalova

Toronto Tour 2014: You Don’t Have To Be An Athlete To Enjoy Paddle-Boating

youthjournalism.org After their paddle boat excursion on Toronto’s Harbourfront, Lubaba Samin of Toronto and Mary Majerus-Collins of Connecticut sit down and try to put it into words. By Mary Majerus-Collins and Lubaba Samin Reporters Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada –  Despite being tiring and a painful reminder of our lack of athleticism, paddle-boating was an exhilarating experience. Mary Majerus-Collins / youthjournalism.org Aside from the time our friends tragically hit the front of our boat with the side of their boat, being … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Caroline Nelissen, Connecticut, Lubaba Samin, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, paddle boats, summer, the Netherlands, Toronto, Toronto Tour 2014, U.S.A.

Paddle, Paddle, Paddle Your Boat – If You Can – At Toronto’s Busy Harbourfront

youthjournalism.org YJI reporters Caroline Nelissen, of the Netherlands, and Mugdha Gurram of the United States, try to get their paddle boat out beyond the dock at Toronto’s Harbourfront.  By Caroline Nelissen, Mehran Shamit, Yelena Samofalova and Mugdha Gurram Reporters Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – Paddle-boating is harder than it looks, especially for a bunch of first-timers. Toronto Tour 2014 logo byMary Majerus-Collins In our defense, we came up with a list explaining why: 1.   The steering is counter intuitive. youthjournalism.org YJI reporters Caroline Nelissen … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, Caroline Nelissen, Lubaba Samin, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mehran Shamit, Mugdha Gurram, paddle boats, summer, Toronto, Toronto Tour 2014, Yelena Samofalova

Inferno Under The Big Top: Survivors Remember The Hartford Circus Fire

By Tom Vaughn, Yelena Samofalova and Mary Majerus-Collins Reporters Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – After 70 years, the horrors of the Hartford Circus Fire are still vivid for survivors who escaped the burning Big Top as children. “It was chaos,” said Carol Tillman Parrish, who went to the circus with the Arsenal School summer camp when she was just six years old. As Parrish watched from the bleachers, she saw a woman on a high wire on a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Harriet Beecher Stowe, Hartford, Hartford Circus Fire, Mark Twain House, Mary Majerus-Collins, Tom Vaughn, Yelena Samofalova

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

youthjournalism.org In the Women’s Rights National Historical Park, three YJI reporters pose with statues of early women’s rights activists. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International SENECA FALLS, New York, U.S.A. – Lots of American women’s history is contained in the small town of Seneca Falls, New York. Visitors can see the Wesleyan Chapel, the National Women’s Hall of Fame and several other museums and sites. As well as learning about the key events in 1848 entering on women’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Abolition, feminism, human rights, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, National Women's Rights Park, New York, Seneca Falls, Toronto Tour 2014, voting, Yelena Samofalova

After Leading Scores Of Slaves To Freedom, Harriet Tubman Retired Here In Auburn, N.Y.

youthjournalism.org A guide leads the way into the Harriet Tubman Home in Auburn, N.Y. By Mary Majerus-Collins Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International AUBURN, New York, U.S.A. – In a small town in Central New York, it is possible to visit the home of Harriet Tubman, the woman who led scores of people out of slavery before the American Civil War. Known as the ‘Moses of her People,’ Tubman escaped slavery and then many times returned on dangerous trips to the American … Read entire article »

Filed under: Abolition, Auburn, Harriet Tubman, Mary Majerus-Collins, New York, slavery, Toronto Tour 2014, Underground Railroad