» Mike Nguyen

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

Chemistry, poetry and World War III?

By Mike Nguyen Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) Well, as if my day could get any longer or eventful, this happens. But what did happen? The worst place to hear about a terrorist strike and New York City in shambles is the rumor mill at your local high school. But actually, we actually got it right instead of “UFO’s abducted New York!!” Well, at least it was lunch and I could enjoy some Mozzarella sticks, … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Bristol, Connecticut, Mike Nguyen, terrorism

Looking Back: 9/11 Reactions From Students

We’re one month shy of the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Let’s take a look back at the pieces that Youth Journalism International students wrote on that horrible day: Thousands of reasons to pay attention Katie Jordan: We’ve all been told some adult or another how they felt when they heard about Pearl Harbor or Kennedy’s assassination. We’ve heard them explain what was going through their minds, and we’ve seen the far away looks on their faces as they remember. (OPINION – Sept. 11, 2001) America will rise to the challenge Kaishi Lee: Let’s face it. America’s in a frenzy after another terrorist attack. Now, why, of all countries, did terrorists choose America? (OPINION – Sept. 11, 2001) Chemistry, poetry and World War III? Mike Nguyen: I was thinking Independence Day, of the Empire State Building … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9/11, Hila Yosafi, Kaishi Lee, Melissa Luna, Mike Nguyen

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes

This one, from 2003, was written by Mike Nguyen. It captures the annual affliction that plagues many students approaching graduation: senioritis. The cartoon was done by Amanda Lehmert in 1999. Forget SARS. Senioritis is killing us seniors, and the epidemic is onlygetting worse as the days dwindle down.I can’t remember how I caught it, or who I caught it from, but I think somewhere after the AP testing and before the prom was when I felt the symptoms creep in.The virus slowly crept into my body as the days continued. My eyes are constantly drowsy and closed in the middle of class, my feet have a hard time moving to yet another class, I have night terrors of never getting my diploma, hallucinations that I’m already in college, and I got … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amanda Lehmert, cartoon, Mike Nguyen, senioritis

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes

This one, from 2003, was written by Mike Nguyen. It captures the annual affliction that plagues many students approaching graduation: senioritis. The cartoon was done by Amanda Lehmert in 1999. Forget SARS. Senioritis is killing us seniors, and the epidemic is only getting worse as the days dwindle down. I can’t remember how I caught it, or who I caught it from, but I think somewhere after the AP testing and before the prom was when I felt … Read entire article »

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes

From The Archives: Senioritis Strikes