» school violence

Ohio State University student shaken after hiding from assailant during campus attack

By Noah Adelsberger Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEWARK, Ohio, U.S.A. – An attack at The Ohio State University Monday morning injured 11 and rattled a campus community just returning from Thanksgiving break. Computer Science and Engineering student Megan Knox was inclass when someone warned the classroom about an emergency alert text they had received about an active shooter. Initial reports of an active shooter were incorrect, as the only shots occurred when a campus police officer responding to the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Noah Adelsberger, school violence, terrorism, YJI Students

Nigerians Mark A Year Since Boko Haram Terrorists Kidnapped Chibok Schoolgirls

Arinze Chijioke / youthjournalism.org Salamatu Usman called the kidnapping of the Chibok girls a crime against humanity. By Linus Okechukwu Correspondent Youth Journalism International ENUGU, Nigeria – It was a mild Monday morning on April 14, 2014 as commuters around Nigeria’s capital Abuja prepared to take on the day and eke out a living. As it was the morning rush hour, commuters at the Nyanya bus station on the outskirts of Abuja chattered away, getting ready to board buses shuttling across … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Arinze Chijioke, Boko Haram, Festus Iyorah, Ifeanyi Onyekere, Linus Okechukwu, Nchetachi Chukwuajah, Nigeria, school violence, terrorism

Schoolgirls Still Missing A Year Later

Schoolgirls Still Missing A Year Later

By Festus Iyorah Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International IBADAN, Oyo, Nigeria – Nigerians shifted their attention from the recently concluded national election as they remembered the first year anniversary of the more than 200 schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram terrorists.  After a myriad of terrorist attacks in northern Nigeria, Boko Haram – which is striving to create an Islamic state – ignited global outrage as they abducted the girls in the wee hours of April 14 from a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Boko Haram, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Malala Yousafzai, Nigeria, Oyo State, school violence, violence

From A Nigerian Sister, An Open Letter To The Kidnapped Chibok Girls, A Year Later

By Mary Umeoguaju Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International Anambra, Nigeria April 14, 2015 My dear sisters, How are you? Hope you are fine and in good health. These questions seem to be insignificant to ask of my sisters who have been missing in Chibok since 14th of April 2014, but I still think we need to ask them. It’s been a year and I haven’t heard from you and neither have my fellow Nigerians. It is unfortunate. I’ve never had any personal contact with … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Anambra, Boko Haram, Mary Umeoguaju, Nigeria, school violence, terrorism, violence

We Must Cry, Until The Missing Girls Return

By Nchetachi Chukwuajah Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ABIA, Nigeria – When in 1948 South African author Alan Paton chose to entitle his book Cry, the Beloved Country, it probably did not occur to him that Nigeria would need to do that after over five decades. Nigeria should cry, wail even, that after 365 days it was not able to deliver more than 200 of its daughters from the tight grips of their abductors. We have waited too long for … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Abia, Boko Haram, Nchetachi Chukwuajah, Nigeria, school violence, terrorism, violence

One Year After Their Kidnapping, The Missing Chibok Girls Are Not Forgotten

By Ifeanyi Onyekere Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International OJI RIVER, Enugu, Nigeria – That time can heal the deepest pain or wound could sometimes be untrue especially when you lose possessions dear to you. It could die in the minds of others, in media headlines, in top discussions, but not in your heart. It’s the pain that sleeps and wakes with you, a heavy stone that hangs around your neck and spirit, drowning you into thicker darkness where your … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Boko Haram, Enugu, Ifeanyi Chris Onyekere, Nigeria, Oji River, school violence, terrorism, violence

Congested Roads Mean Return To Normalcy In Pakistan After Terror Attack On School

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org A bird’s eye view of congested Jail Road in Lahore, Pakistan, from the overhead pedestrian bridge near Kinnaird College for Women.  By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Today all the colleges, schools and universities finally opened after the temporary closure following the Taliban’s Dec. 16 terrorist attack on the school in Peshawar. That meant a lot of traffic this morning as people were getting to school. Jail Road in Lahore is one of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

In Islam, Going To School Is An Act Of Jihad. The Taliban’s Terrorism Is Not.

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The terrorist attack on Peshawar on December 16 was one of the most ruthless and cruel acts of the Taliban I have ever known. The attack itself was enough to shake the length and breadth of Pakistan, but its aftermath had yet to follow. Soon after the attack on the Peshawar school, all educational institutions in the Punjab province of Pakistan and other parts of the country … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, journalism, Lahore, Pakistan, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Mall Memorial Honors Victims Of Pakistani School Attack, Condemns Taliban

Waleed Tariq / youthjournalism.org Pakistan is mourning 148 people, mostly schoolchildren, killed by Taliban gunmen at the Army Public School in Peshawar on Tuesday, Dec. 16.  At the Dolmen Mall in Clifton, Karachi, Pakistan, there is a floral memorial to remember the victims. Waleed Tariq / youthjournalism.org A sign explains the memorial. The dead are  considered martyrs because they were killed  while pursuing education. Waleed Tariq / youthjournalism.org A poster from the Special Olympics of Pakistan in support of the victims. Waleed Tariq … Read entire article »

Filed under: Karachi, Pakistan, Peshawar, school violence, terrorism, Waleed Tariq

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Children are the angels of heaven. They are innocent little flowers, their smiles can soften even the coldest hearts. That is what I knew and believed to be true, but today’s heinous event has turned everything upside down. The Taliban attacked a school in Peshawar and the result is more than 130 students dead. This is no terrorist attack. It’s an attack on humanity, it’s an attack on myself.I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, Pakistan, Peshawar, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Holding Inspiration In My Hand, Managing Loss, And Realizing What’s Important

youthjournalism.org The rock that Nelba Márquez-Greene gave to Matthew Albrecht   By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – I met many inspiring people at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday, but one woman stood out.  Nelba Márquez-Greenelost her daughter Ana in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown in 2012. In her grief, she founded The Ana Grace Project, which works to keeps Ana’s memory alive and spread the message, “Love Wins.”  I had the good fortune … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Hartford, Matthew Albrecht, Nelba Márquez-Greene, Newtown, nonviolence, peace, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, U.S.A.

Youth Should Stay Connected And Involved To Prevent Violence, Sandy Hook Mom Says

By Mugdha Gurram, Alan Burkholder and Matthew Albrecht Reporters Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Nelba Márquez-Greene, a mother whose six-year-old daughter was murdered in the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, wants young people to stay connected and involved in their communities to prevent further gun violence. At the Peace in Connecticut conference on nonviolence at Trinity College Thursday, Márquez-Greeneemphasized the importance of lasting relationships, saying it is imperative for children “to stay connected to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Matthew Albrecht, Mugdha Gurram, Newtown, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence

High School Stabbing Strikes Close To Home

By Katherine Holland Reporter Youth Journalism International PITTSBURGH, Penn., U.S.A. – (April 9) When I arrived at school today, it was just another Wednesday. I had to finish my statistics homework during chemistry, and I was looking forward to talking with my friend during English about the guy she’s been seeing. But the first thing I heard when I walked into homeroom was “Oh my God, did you hear about the stabbing at Franklin?” I don’t know if there’s a worse sentence to start … Read entire article »

Filed under: Katherine Holland, Pittsburgh, school security, school violence

By Katherine Holland Reporter Youth Journalism International PITTSBURGH, Penn., U.S.A. – When I arrived at school today, it was just another Wednesday. I had to finish my statistics homework during chemistry, and I was looking forward to talking with my friend during English about the guy she’s been seeing. But the first thing I heard when I walked into homeroom was “Oh my God, did you hear about the stabbing at Franklin?” I don’t know if there’s a worse … Read entire article »

Filed under: Franklin Regional High School, Katherine Holland, Murrysville, Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh, school violence

Pakistani Boy Shows True Heroism In Stopping Suicide Bomber At His School

From a public Facebook tribute page, this is a photo of Aitazaz Hassan Bangash, the Pakistani teen who died stopping a suicide bomber at his school on Monday. By Linus Okechukwu Reporter Youth Journalism International LAFIA, Nasarawa, Nigeria – As a teen who grew up in the suburbs, I was privy to countless tales of heroes and heroic deeds. Here, suburban people spend much more time than you can ever imagine reminiscing about the past, especially about heroes.Our history … Read entire article »

Filed under: Aitazaz Hassan Bangash, Lafia, Linus Okechukwu, Nasarawa, Nigeria, Pakistan, school violence, terrorism