» YJI contest

Here are the winners of the 2017 YJI youth journalism contest

WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, USA – In a year when journalists have been hailed and harassed with equal fervor, Youth Journalism International can safely assure everyone there’s a great new generation of reporters ready to take the field. This year’s contest for teen journalists, now in its eighth year, attracted astonishing work from hundreds of students around the globe. Those earning awards represent nine countries on five continents as well as 20 U.S. states. The top winners include … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

Teen journalists and teachers, it’s time to enter your work in YJI’s 2017 contest

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A.  –  January 23, 2017 – Connecticut-based non-profit organization Youth Journalism International is hosting its eighth annual Excellence in Journalism contest, the largest in the world for English language work published by amateur journalists aged 19 or younger. The event aims to further YJI’s mission of promoting a free youth press, fostering cross-cultural understanding and showcasing the voices of the next generation. In the contest, original content published in 2016 will be … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest

YJI Announces 2016 Journalism Contest Winners

Congratulations to the winners in this year’s Excellence in Journalism Contest, which Youth Journalism International has sponsored for seven years. You can see the winner’s list here.  Students winning the top honors will receive individually engraved crystal trophies. All the winners will get specially made award certificates. We saw lots of wonderful student work this year, including some that didn’t come out on top when judges took a look at hundreds of entries. We hope to provide links … Read entire article »

Filed under: Featured, journalism, journalism contest, YJI contest, youthjournalism.org

Journalism Contest Honors Youth Worldwide

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists from across the globe took home prizes in the Youth Journalism International 2015 Excellence in Journalism contest. Annie Schugart, a standout editor for a suburban Kansas City high school paper who’s now a freshman at Harvard University, took top honors as this year’s Student Journalist of the Year. Competition was stiff in nearly every category, with more than 130 awards in about three dozen categories going to … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest, Youth Journalism International, youthjournalism.org

Teen Writers, Photographers, Artists Invited To Compete In Journalism Competition

youthjournalism.org Trophies from Youth Journalism International’s first Excellence in Journalism contest, held in 2010. WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists are encouraged to enter their work in Youth Journalism International’s sixth annual Excellence in Journalism contest. The competition, open to teens worldwide, offers prizes in dozens of categories – everything from newswriting to cartoons. Special categories include Student Journalist of the Year, Journalism Educator of the Year and Courage in Journalism. Top honors are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Excellence in Journalism Contest, YJI contest, youth journalism contest, Youth Journalism International

Winners In 2014 Excellence In Journalism Contest Hail From Seven Countries And 12 U.S. States

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists from nine nations captured awards in the Youth Journalism International 2014 Excellence in Journalism contest. “It’s inspiring to see so much promise from young journalists around the world,”   said YJI’s Executive Director Jackie Majerus. “We’re excited to be able to recognize it with this contest.” Langley, who will be a senior at the school next fall, said she likes every aspect of journalism – the design, … Read entire article »

Filed under: YJI contest

Winners From Around The World In YJI’s 2014 Excellence In Journalism Contest

Crystal trophies went to the winners of the top four categories in Youth Journalism International’s  2014 Excellence in Journalism contest. WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists from nine nations captured awards in the Youth Journalism International 2014 Excellence in Journalism contest.  “It’s inspiring to see so much promise from young journalists around the world,”   said YJI’s Executive Director Jackie Majerus. “We’re excited to be able to recognize it with this contest.” Maureen Langley Maureen Langley … Read entire article »

Filed under: 2014 Excellence in Journalism contest, Emily Munoz, Maureen Langley, Michelle Harmon, Nawall Hassan, YJI contest, Youth Journalism International, youthjournalism.org

Deadline Extended To Friday, Feb. 14 For Worldwide Youth Journalism Contest

youthjournalism.org Trophies are awarded in the top categories of Student Journalist of the Year, Journalism Educator of the Year, Courage in Journalism, the Frank Keegan “Take No Prisoners” Award for the best news story and the Jacinta Marie Bunnell Award for Commentary. The trophies in the photo were awarded in the first contest in 2010. WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Now in its fifth year, Youth Journalism International’s annual contest for teenage journalists around the world offers … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Excellence in Journalism Contest, U.S.A., YJI, YJI contest, youth journalism, youth journalism contest

YJI’s Contest Deadline Extended to Feb. 14

Recognizing that many schools in much of the United States have had a number of days off lately due to snow and frigid weather, we are extending the deadline for Youth Journalism International’s annual contest by one week. The new deadline is at 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Friday, Feb. 14. All of the other rules remain the same. You can learn details by checking out this page about the contest. We look forward to … Read entire article »

Filed under: contest, YJI contest

Because Its Gift Helped Cover Contest Fees For Struggling Young Journalists, YJI Issues A Public Thanks To South Korean Academy

youthjournalism.org Narine Daneghyan of Yerevan, Armenia, displays the certificate she received for winning top honors in the sports feature  category in the 2012 contest. Youth Journalism International’s Excellence in Journalism contest is now in its fourth year, and the deadline is fast approaching. Now seems a good time to remind everyone what makes YJI’s contest different. The other aspect of the YJI contest that sets it apart is that unlike any other journalism contest we’ve known or heard of, entry fees can be waived for … Read entire article »

Filed under: Excellence in Journalism Contest, YJI contest

Contest Recognizes Best In Teen Journalism

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Youth Journalism International, a Connecticut-based nonprofit, is encouraging talented teenage journalists to enter its annual contest honoring the best young reporters, photographers and cartoonists around the world. The contest, the largest worldwide, showcases the best journalism in English by young people. Contest trophies from 2010 contest “Anyone who thinks journalism is dead isn’t paying attention to the great work that young reporters and writers are doing every day, all over the world,” said Steve Collins, Youth Journalism International’s president. Winners in major categories receive crystal trophies and other prize winners receive custom-made certificates. There are a number of categories for entries, including Student Journalist of the Year, the Courage in Journalism award, Journalism Educator of the Year, The Jacinta Marie Bunnell Award for Commentary and The Frank Keegan “Take No … Read entire article »

Filed under: contest, journalism contest, scholastic journalism, YJI contest