» Excellence in Journalism Contest

Teen Writers, Photographers, Artists Invited To Compete In Journalism Competition

youthjournalism.org Trophies from Youth Journalism International’s first Excellence in Journalism contest, held in 2010. WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Young writers, photographers and artists are encouraged to enter their work in Youth Journalism International’s sixth annual Excellence in Journalism contest. The competition, open to teens worldwide, offers prizes in dozens of categories – everything from newswriting to cartoons. Special categories include Student Journalist of the Year, Journalism Educator of the Year and Courage in Journalism. Top honors are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Excellence in Journalism Contest, YJI contest, youth journalism contest, Youth Journalism International

Deadline Extended To Friday, Feb. 14 For Worldwide Youth Journalism Contest

youthjournalism.org Trophies are awarded in the top categories of Student Journalist of the Year, Journalism Educator of the Year, Courage in Journalism, the Frank Keegan “Take No Prisoners” Award for the best news story and the Jacinta Marie Bunnell Award for Commentary. The trophies in the photo were awarded in the first contest in 2010. WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – Now in its fifth year, Youth Journalism International’s annual contest for teenage journalists around the world offers … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Excellence in Journalism Contest, U.S.A., YJI, YJI contest, youth journalism, youth journalism contest

Winners Announced For YJI’s Fourth Annual Excellence In Journalism Contest

WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – The heartbreaking story of a 12-year-old Pakistani girl who spent much of her life as a kitchen maid took the top newswriting award in Youth Journalism International’s 2013 Excellence in Journalism contest. Written by Arooj Khalid, a 15-year-old girl in Lahore, Pakistan, the child labor piece captured the Frank Keegan “Take No Prisoners” Award for News in this year’s contest, which recognized the best in youth journalism worldwide. Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org Saba … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, California, child labor, Colorado, Connecticut, Excellence in Journalism Contest, Pakistan, Youth Journalism International

Partying For YJI On Three Continents

Partying For YJI On Three Continents

Nicole Megan Gounder / youthjournalism.org Lucy-Sarah Raymond Gounder, after all the baking was finished, paused a moment by the beautiful table at the party in Durban.   Youth Journalism International not only has the greatest students on the planet, but the best alumni in the world. Just after Valentine’s Day, alum Nicole MeganGounder, and her wonderful mom, Lucy-Sarah Raymond Gounder, kicked off a new initiative from their home in Durban, South Africa, an “I love YJI” event. The same day, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Connecticut, Durban, Edrees Kakar, Excellence in Journalism Contest, I Love YJI party, Jackie Majerus, Joe Keo, Kabul, Nicole Megan Gounder, South Africa, Steve Collins, YJI, YJI Ambassadors

Contest Deadline Is Friday, Feb. 15, Hurry!

The massive blizzard that buried the Northeast part of the United States – where Youth Journalism International is headquartered – prompted us to extend the deadline for entries to the 2013 Excellence in Journalism contest.The new, firm deadline is 11 p.m., Friday, Feb. 15 to accommodate schools that are closed because of the storm. The contest has several top categories offering beautiful crystal trophies to the winners, including Student Journalist of the Year, Journalism Educator of … Read entire article »

Filed under: blizzard, Excellence in Journalism Contest

Blizzard Extends YJI Contest Deadline; Entries Now Due February 12

Photo provided Nyno Ortiz of Hartford, Connecticut,  was among the winners of Youth  Journalism International’s 2012  Excellence in Journalism contest. Because a massive blizzard is clobbering the Northeast part of the United States – where Youth Journalism International is headquartered – we’ve decided to extend the deadline for entries to the 2013 Excellence in Journalism contest.The original deadline was today, Friday, Feb. 8, but so many schools are closed because of the winter snowstorm and we didn’t want anyone to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Excellence in Journalism Contest

Because Its Gift Helped Cover Contest Fees For Struggling Young Journalists, YJI Issues A Public Thanks To South Korean Academy

youthjournalism.org Narine Daneghyan of Yerevan, Armenia, displays the certificate she received for winning top honors in the sports feature  category in the 2012 contest. Youth Journalism International’s Excellence in Journalism contest is now in its fourth year, and the deadline is fast approaching. Now seems a good time to remind everyone what makes YJI’s contest different. The other aspect of the YJI contest that sets it apart is that unlike any other journalism contest we’ve known or heard of, entry fees can be waived for … Read entire article »

Filed under: Excellence in Journalism Contest, YJI contest

Call For Entries: YJI’s Annual Worldwide Contest For Teen Journalists Is On Now

youthjournalism.org Pushkal Shivam of Mumbai, India was named Student Journalist of the Year  in Youth Journalism International’s 2012 Excellence in Journalism contest. WEST HARTFORD, Conn., U.S.A. – For the first time, Youth Journalism International’s annual contest for teenage journalists around the world is including categories for multimedia reporting. “We are seeing more young people than ever producing top quality audio, video and other multimedia stories that deserve recognition and don’t fit traditional newsgathering categories,” said Steve Collins, … Read entire article »

Filed under: Excellence in Journalism Contest, YJI