» protests

Selma Today: Still So Much Work Ahead

Selma Today: Still So Much Work Ahead

Jessica Elsayed / youthjournalism.org Downtown Selma is small but a very interesting part of town with so much history. The Selma Times Journal in  is only a few steps away from the Edmund Pettus Bridge, where, in 1965, police used tear gas and clubs to beat back hundreds of civil rights protesters trying to march to Montgomery, Alabama. By Jessica Elsayed Associate Editor Youth Journalism International SELMA, Alabama, U.S.A. – I just returned from spending an incredible and enlightening week in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alabama, civil rights, Jessica Elsayed, Martin Luther King, peace, peaceful protest, protests, racism, Selma, terrorism

Washington Protesters Keep Focus On Police And Racial Discrimination

Tamar Gorgadze / youthjournalism.org Saturday street protests in Washington, D.C. about excessive use of force by police. By Tamar Gorgadze Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – As I walked around with a family friend from France in Washington D.C. on Saturday, the last thing I expected to see was an ongoing demonstration. Tamar Gorgadze / youthjournalism.org Two protesters in the Metro train station  in Washington Saturday. People were out protesting the unfair and mind-boggling Ferguson, Missouri, grand jury decision following the shooting in August of … Read entire article »

Filed under: New York, opinion, peaceful protest, police, protests, racism, United States, Washington

St. Louis Reacts To Ferguson Grand Jury

St. Louis Reacts To Ferguson Grand Jury

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – A split television screen this evening showed protesters gathering in Ferguson and chanting in unison on the left side while the prosecutor for St. Louis County spoke on the right side, explaining why a grand jury chose not to indict police Officer Darren Wilson in the controversial Aug. 9 shooting of an unarmed 18-year-old in Ferguson. The killing of Michael Brown, an African-American, sparked a series of riots … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ferguson, Missouri, news, Oakville, police, protests, racism, St. Louis, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

Bracing For Possible Violence In Ferguson

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – They wait. The citizens of Ferguson and protesters around the United States wait for the grand jury to make a decision whether to charge Officer Darren Wilson in the shooting death of teenager Michael Brown last August. As the grand jury makes a decision whether to charge Wilson, both the Missouri National Guard and protesters in Ferguson and other cities across the United States are preparing for what … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ferguson, Missouri, Oakville, police, protests, racism, shooting, St. Louis, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

Colorado Student Protests Follow Example Set By American Heroes Like Rosa Parks

By Kate Marin Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LITTLETON, Colorado, U.S.A. – On the mid-September day the protests began in the Jeffco schools, a friend came up to me and said, “I heard the high schoolers are having a walkout to protest the board changing the curriculum. I heard they’re changing it to show America in a better light.” I asked her where she got her information and told her she probably had a bad source. I said there’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Advanced Placement, College Board, Colorado, Kate Marin, Littleton, Martin Luther King, peaceful protest, protests, Rosa Parks, U.S.A.

Despite Its Flaws, These Brazilian Youth Are Loving The Excitement Of The World Cup

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org The outside of the rebuilt stadium in Curitiba where some of the World Cup games are being played. By Maria Luiza Lago Junior Reporter YouthJournalism International CURITIBA, Brazil – While they’re excited about World Cup matches being played in their home city, several teenagers also pointed out the downside of hosting a global event. Spending money on keeping World Cup fans happy doesn’t do much for Brazilians, said 18-year-old Gabriela Callegari, an automation control engineering student … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, Maria Luiza Lago, protests, sports, World Cup

Feeling Lost And Scared In Embattled Syria

Due to the dangerous situation in Syria, especially for journalists, Youth Journalism International is taking the extremely rare step of withholding the name of this writer, who is a teenager in a Syrian city. We are grateful for the bravery this writer shows by speaking out and we are glad to be a platform for these words. We know who this young journalist is, but we cannot justify putting our student in harm’s way by … Read entire article »

Filed under: protests, Syria, Young Syrian Citizen

Military Tanks On A Venezuelan Roadway

Military Tanks On A Venezuelan Roadway

Mary Granella / youthjournalism.org Soldiers from Venezuela’s National Guard and a military tank along a highway in Valencia, Venezuela on Friday. This type of military presence is found at every spot where protesters gather in Valencia, but it is not limited to where the protesters are. There are as many as three, sometimes even four, military tanks stationed at the entrance to every neighborhood and in every square in the city, along with 20 or more … Read entire article »

Filed under: protests, Valencia, Venezuela

As Venezuelan Anti-Government Protests Turn Deadly, People Are Losing Their Fears

By Mary Granella Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International VALENCIA, Venezuela – People outside my country probably have no idea what’s been happening in Venezuela for the last couple of years, but life has gotten even worse in the year since our late President Hugo Chavez died. Since the death of Chavez on March 5, 2013, Venezuela has sunken even deeper into a moral, social, economic and political crisis. Our inflation rate closed last year at more than 56 percent, the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Mary Granella, peaceful protest, protests, Valencia, Venezuela

Egyptians Protesters Want A New President

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org Protesters in the streets of Alexandria, Egypt, on Sunday.  By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – People are gathering in front of the train station in the Sidi Gaber section of the city, demanding that President Mohamed Morsi leave office. Holding Egyptian flags and signs asking the president to leave, the crowd seems hopeful, strong and determined. The event is peaceful, and participants are kind and helpful. I felt safe there. Everyone … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, democracy, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, peaceful protest, protests

Egypt Rises Again, For ‘Safety And Freedom’

youthjournalism.org Protesters in Alexandria, Egypt on Sunday   By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Here we are on the 30th of June, an exceptional day where, finally, a beam of light will shine through the darkness. It’s not only the beginning of a new revolution, but also the day we’ve been impatiently waiting for. The name of this revolution is “Rebel,” which began as a campaign which was launched in late April by members of the opposition in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Dina El Halawany, Egypt, peaceful protest, protest, protests

youthjournalism.org Protesters in Alexandria, Egypt on Sunday By Dina El Halawany Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Here we are on the 30th of June, an exceptional day where, finally, a beam of light will shine through the darkness.It’s not only the beginning of a new revolution, but also the day we’ve been impatiently waiting for. The name of this revolution is “Rebel,” which began as a campaign which was launched in late April by members of the opposition in … Read entire article »

Brazilian Protesters Try To Stay Peaceful

Pamela Castilho Cohene / youthjournalism.org Hundreds of protesters in Curitiba took to the streets June 18. By Pamela Castilho  Reporter   Youth Journalism International  CURITIBA, Paraná, Brazil – In recent weeks, the eyes of the world have been on Brazil, the stage of many protests, and the nation hosting some of the world’s top upcoming sporting events, including next year’s World Cup. Earlier this month, just days before the June15 beginning of the Confederations Cup, the city of São Paulo saw five protests … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, Pamela Castilho Cohene, peaceful protest, protests, World Cup

Young People In Brazil Protest In The Streets

Police and protesters clash in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Slideshow of more photos of protests in Sao Paulo, Brazil         By Vinicius Ferreira  Reporter and Photographer  Youth Journalism International    CURITIBA, BRAZIL – For the first time in more than 20 years, young people are waking up to protest for their rights. Protester injured by tear gas in Sao Paulo.     Following the Arab Spring and growing unrest in Turkey, Brazilians are rising as well to push for a better life. Many are unhappy with the high cost … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, photography, protests, Riots, Sao Paulo