» human rights

After Orlando killings, gay teen is scared and sad, but ‘more on fire than ever before’

By O.D. Wright Reporter Youth Journalism International NASHVILLE, Tenn., U.S.A. – It was past midnight and I was talking on the phone with a young woman I’ve had a crush on for a while now. She was working night shift, and I’d stay up any hour to lose myself in conversation with her.  The whole time she talked about boys, her current heartbreaks and crushes.  It did hurt a little, but it was worth talking about if it … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay pride, human rights, LGBTQ, Nashville, Orlando, sexuality, Tennessee, terrorism

Muslim American teen grieves with Orlando

By Diana Awawdeh Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TINLEY PARK, Illinois, U.S.A. – The attack early Sunday at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history – is affecting everyone all over the country. As a Muslim American, I am disgusted by the behavior of the shooter, Omar Mateen and ISIS. Islam is a religion of peace and does not deal with any violence. ISIS and its supporters use Islam as an excuse … Read entire article »

Filed under: bigotry, Diane Awawdeh, gay pride, human rights, Islam, Muslim-American, Muslims, Orlando, religion, religious freedom, terrorism, Tinley Park

America Lives Up To Promise Of Equality With Supreme Court Gay Marriage Ruling

By Mugdha Gurram Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International WEST HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Today is a day that has been long awaited in America, and one that will be long be remembered in history books as one where the United States truly lived up to its promise of freedom and equality. In a ruling announced today, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in favor of reversing the judgment of the Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, making same-sex … Read entire article »

Filed under: gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, Mugdha Gurram

Supreme Court’s Marriage Equality Ruling Reflects National Mood On Gay Rights

By Eli Winter Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas, U.S.A.  – A U.S. Supreme Court ruling legalizing gay marriage in all 50 states caps off an historic time for the nation’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender citizens. In a decision released Friday, justices voted 5-4 that gay marriage is legal nationwide. Media coverage generally reflected American society’s increasing support of LGBT issues, but remained sharply divided in some circles. Evidence of the gradual acceptance of transgender Americans’ into mainstream … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, gay marriage, gay pride, human rights, US Supreme Court

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

Getting In Touch With Women’s Rights

youthjournalism.org In the Women’s Rights National Historical Park, three YJI reporters pose with statues of early women’s rights activists. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International SENECA FALLS, New York, U.S.A. – Lots of American women’s history is contained in the small town of Seneca Falls, New York. Visitors can see the Wesleyan Chapel, the National Women’s Hall of Fame and several other museums and sites. As well as learning about the key events in 1848 entering on women’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Abolition, feminism, human rights, Mary Majerus-Collins, Mugdha Gurram, National Women's Rights Park, New York, Seneca Falls, Toronto Tour 2014, voting, Yelena Samofalova

Not All Chinese Embrace Valentine’s Day – Gay Couples Can’t Celebrate The Holiday

By Yiping Holly Wang Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ZHUHAI, Guangdong, China – A couple of years ago, if one mentioned “Valentine’s Day” in China, people would unhesitatingly refer to Chinese Valentine’s Day, as we called Qixi Festival, a name that in Chinese means “night of sevens.” Qixi Festival is on the seventh day of the seventh lunar month in the Chinese calendar. According to the old folktale, the secret lovers Niu Lang and Zhi Nu are allowed to … Read entire article »

Filed under: China, gay pride, Guangdong, Holidays, human rights, Valentine's Day, Yiping Holly Wang, Zhuhai

In Pyramids’ Shadow, Egyptians Finally Vote

By Jessica Elsayed Correspondent Youth Journalism International GRANVILLE, Ohio — And today they vote. More than 50 million voters will head today and tomorrow to the polls to vote for the first time in an Egyptian presidential election whose outcome is unknown. Lines of men and women from all ages and walks of life have been lining up since the early morning and officials even needed to extend the voting time into the late evening in order to accommodate all … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arab Spring, Egypt, human rights, Jessica Elsayed

News Analysis: Tens Of Thousands Of Egyptians Protest For Human Rights

By Jessica Elsayed Reporter Youth Journalism International ALEXANDRIA, Egypt – Following in the footsteps of Tunisia’s recent revolution, Egypt today was in a complete state of protest. More than 20,000 people in Alexandria and over 50,000 in Cairo and thousands others in several governorates across Egypt have left their fear behind and united to demand basic rights. Egyptians are ranting against the state of poverty, hunger, unemployment, inflation, corruption and injustice. Some of the main demands include denouncing President Hosni Mubarak – a man many people here call a dictator – who has occupied his office for the past 30 years. Protestors are demanding fair elections and the simple right to be protected by the government instead of oppressed by it. The people are also demanding a raise in the minimum wage up to 1,200 Egyptian Pounds a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alexandria, Cairo, Egypt, Hosni Mubarak, human rights, Jessica Elsayed, protests