» Lama Tawakkol

Grieving For Paris, Fearing An Aftermath

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – I am in bed, listening to music and getting ready to get some sleep when I come across the news. Paris is “under attack.” It doesn’t register, and the more I search for news, the more it didn’t make any sense. Everyone seems as confused as I am. There are terrorist attacks on Paris that vary between bombings, explosions and straight out shootings, depending on the report. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Egypt, Lama Tawakkol, Paris, terrorism

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – With the approach of the first year mark of the start of the Egyptian uprising last January, things are heating up and tension is building across the country. Almost a year after the ousting of former President Hosni Mubarak and the assumption of power by the Supreme Council for Armed Forces, Egyptian citizens are far from satisfied. When the military took over, it promised the people parliamentary elections in … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arab Spring, Egypt, Lama Tawakkol

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Filed under: Cairo, democracy, Egypt, Jan.25, Lama Tawakkol, protests, revolution, youthjournalism.org

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – With the approach of thefirst year mark of the start of the Egyptian uprising last January, things areheating up and tension is building across the country. Almost a year after the ousting of formerPresident Hosni Mubarak and the assumption of power by the Supreme Council forArmed Forces, Egyptian citizens are far from satisfied. When the military took over, it promisedthe people parliamentary elections in September and presidential elections byDecember. … Read entire article »

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt’s Revolution Isn’t Over Yet

Egypt Today: Violence, Confusion, Rumors

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – A month ago, Egypt witnessed what many termed “Revolution 2.0.” Violence had ensued near Tahrir Square between police officers and the protesters, as people returned to a sit-in calling on the Supreme Council for Armed Forces to transfer power to a civilian council until presidential elections are held. The violence stopped eventually and SCAF remained in place, only changing the cabinet to be headed by Kamal El Ganzoury … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cairo, democracy, Egypt, Jan.25, Lama Tawakkol, protests, revolution, Tahrir Square

By Lama Tawakkol Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International CAIRO, Egypt – Amonth ago, Egypt witnessed what many termed “Revolution 2.0.” Violence hadensued near Tahrir Square between police officers and the protesters, as peoplereturned to a sit-in calling on the Supreme Council for Armed Forces totransfer power to a civilian council until presidential elections are held. The violencestopped eventually and SCAF remained in place, only changing the cabinet to beheaded by Kamal El Ganzoury as prime minister. This moveignited different reactions. … Read entire article »