» travel

Plan Your Visit To Athens, Then Relax

Plan Your Visit To Athens, Then Relax

Eleni Grigovits / youthjournalism.org Cloudy days in Athens are somehow still sunny. By Eleni Grigovits Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International ATHENS, Greece – Greece is well known for its history, mythology, culture and beauty. It’s the place a dozen Gods decided to make home, but in recent years, it is also known for the economic crisis that is making life difficult for people here.  Even though Greece currently has many problems to solve, I really don’t want to emphasize those, but … Read entire article »

Filed under: Athens, Eleni Grigovits, Greece, My Hometown, travel

Zorbing: Having A Ball In New Zealand

Zorbing: Having A Ball In New Zealand

youthjournalism.org Beth Pond, center, and her friend Chelsea Saccu, right, celebrate after experiencing zorbing in New Zealand while zorbing attendants steady the orb. By Beth Pond Senior Correspondent Youth Journalism International ROTORUA, New Zealand – Little did I know that a town that smelled like rotten eggs would be the site of one of the most memorable things I’ve ever done. There I was, sitting in the back of our tour bus, plugging my nose in an attempt to prevent … Read entire article »

Filed under: Beth Pond, New Zealand, travel, zorbing

New Zealand Capital Is Fun And Eclectic

New Zealand Capital Is Fun And Eclectic

Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan / youthjournalism.org A cable car near the Botanical Gardens in Wellington, New Zealand By Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International WELLINGTON, New Zealand – In the past, Wellington was often described as a lacklustre capital due to its small size and lack of global political clout. But in an attempt to encapsulate the spirit of the entire nation, Wellington has reinvented itself by restoring old monuments and building new ones. Today’s Wellington possesses a fun, eclectic and enriching vibe. … Read entire article »

Filed under: New Zealand, Selvaganeshamoorthi Balakrishnan, travel, Wellington, zorbing

National Holocaust Memorial Museum Delivers Painfully Sad Lessons

By Sydney Hallett Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – Though we learned about the Holocaust every year in English or history class, we never really went in depth. I wanted to know more. Touring the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum during my visit to Washington gave me the perfect opportunity. I did not know what to expect as our group stepped into the museum elevator, but once the video started playing, I knew this museum was going to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, history, Holocaust, Sydney Hallett, terrorism, travel, War, Washington D.C., World War II

Seventy Years After Its Liberation, Auschwitz Is Still Chilling To This Young Visitor

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The fence around Auschwitz, which was electrified when the camp was in operation. Desperate prisoners sometimes made a suicidal run at the fence to escape the horrors of the concentration camp. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International OSWIECIM, Poland – No words can truly describe what visiting Auschwitz is like. Even now, months after I spent time, there, I still struggle to comprehend what I saw and heard. I suppose it’s because I never really … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Featured, history, Holocaust, Myah Guild, Poland, terrorism, travel, World War II

Krakow: Schindler’s Factory And Much More

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org A side street in Old Town, Krakow. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Krakow “Beautiful, historic and a good day and night out” 5 stars KRAKOW, Poland – Before we got to Krakow, my friends and I had to establish how to pronounce the name of the place properly. Finding out was easier than we thought, but still left us unsure. We sat with four Polish people on the train, and found the answer not as helpful as … Read entire article »

Filed under: Krakow, Myah Guild, Poland, travel

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

New York Dazzles At The Holidays

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org The Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center on Tuesday. By Yelena Samofalova Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – Just when I thought Times Square couldn’t get any brighter, it did. The ad-filled, obscenely crowded center of New York is even more spectacular during the week of the winter holidays. youthjournalism.org YJI student reporters Alan Burkholder, Mary Majerus-Collins and Yelena Samofalova in front of a display of giant Christmas lights in New York. As we linked hands and made our way around the city blocks to prevent getting separated by … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Christmas, Holidays, Mary Majerus-Collins, New Year's Eve, New York, New York City, Rockefeller Center, travel, Yelena Samofalova

New York’s High Line Is A Natural Oasis

New York’s High Line Is A Natural Oasis

Yelena Samofalova / youthjournalism.org Walkers on the High Line in New York are treated to great views of the city. By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International NEW YORK, N.Y. – Once upon a time, the High Line tracks carried trains up and down Manhattan, but those days are long gone. Since the 1980s, the wood and iron remained undisturbed by pounding wheels and speeding train cars, and as the years passed, nature slowly began to reclaim the High Line. … Read entire article »

Filed under: Kiernan Majerus-Collins, nature, New York, New York City, train, travel

Gardens Are The Best Part Of The Alamo

Gardens Are The Best Part Of The Alamo

youthjournalism.org Nighttime at the Alamo in San Antonio, Texas By Kiernan Majerus-Collins Correspondent Youth Journalism International SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS – The phrase “Remember the Alamo!” is fairly well known, as is its inspiration. Many Americans have some faint inkling of what happened here in 1836, but not much more than that. I always imagined the Alamo as a stone building in the middle of a desert. I could not have been more wrong about the desert. The Alamo today is a small complex … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alamo, Kiernan Majerus-Collins, San Antonio, Texas, travel

European Journey Stops In German Capital

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org Inside the Holocaust memorial in Berlin, Germany. Berlin “Striking and Diverse” 3 stars By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BERLIN, Germany – As a history fanatic, I eagerly anticipated my visit to Berlin. We arrived into the worst thunderstorm I’ve ever seen. The rain was falling down in sheets that drenched you the minute you stepped outside. It was leaking through the shelters, and the lightning was so close, I thought it might hit the station. Despite the most … Read entire article »

Filed under: Berlin, Berlin Wall, Germany, Holocaust, Myah Guild, travel

Pandas: The Highlight Of The National Zoo

Van Nguyen / youthjournalism.org An elephant at the National Zoo. By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – It’s fun, it’s free, and it was only about a 10-minute walk from our hotel, so of course we took the time to go visit the National Zoo. We were probably most excited about seeing the giant pandas, and we were not disappointed. The pandas were out, and they managed to look adorable while feasting on bamboo – giving us the perfect … Read entire article »

Filed under: Mugdha Gurram, travel, Van Nguyen, Washington D.C., zoo

Visiting Cuba: A Step Back In Time

Visiting Cuba: A Step Back In Time

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org Cars from the 1950s and 1960s are a common sight in Havana, Cuba. By Maria Luiza Lago Reporter Youth Journalism International HAVANA, Cuba – When I first arrived in Havana, Cuba, I had a cultural shock – it seemed like I took a plane in 2014 and landed in 1950. Havana has cars from the ‘50s and old telephones and houses, though some are still in good shape.  Stores have no computers to administer the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cuba, Havana, Maria Luiza Lago, travel

Iceland’s Black Sand Beaches, Heated Sidewalks And Breathtaking Beauty

By Martina Ghinetti Reporter  Youth Journalism International REYKJAVIK, Iceland – If in Istanbul you can be in Europe and Asia at the same time, where can you be in Europe and North America at the same time? Iceland! After studying coastal and river systems for a year, I had the chance to travel from my school in England to Iceland with five geography classmates for six days over the summer to see examples up close. Our … Read entire article »

Filed under: Iceland, Italy, Martina Ghinetti, Reykjavik, travel, United Kingdom

Photo Stop: Fisherman’s Bastion In Hungary

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org A popular lookout spot, Fisherman’s Bastion in Budapest, Hungary, draws a lot of tourists. YJI’s Dina El Halawany took this photo on a recent visit. *** Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Budapest, Dina El Halawany, Hungary, travel

The Bridge That Connects Buda And Pest

The Bridge That Connects Buda And Pest

Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org Spanning the Danube River and connecting Buda and Pest, the Chain Bridge was rebuilt after being damaged in World War II. Dina El Halawany / youthjournalism.org A view from a Danube River cruise of the Hungarian parliament building in Budapest. ***  Your tax-deductible contribution can help support this nonprofit at  www.HelpYJI.org … Read entire article »

Filed under: Budapest, Danube River, Dina El Halawany, Hungary, Parliament, travel