» movies

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

By Hafsa Ahmed Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – From a logical standpoint, feeling devastated by the death of an actor seems odd. You’ve never met that person, never talked to them and don’t even know half the things about their real life. All you’ve been exposed to is that actor’s screen persona, their portrayal of a fictional character. But Alan Rickman portrayed his characters so authentically that today, I feel as if I’ve parted from a dear … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Rickman, Alan Rickman, Hafsa Ahmed, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, movies

‘Woman In Gold’ Celebrates Recovery Of Priceless Family Art Stolen By Nazis

By Rahul Krishnaswamy Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LEWISVILLE, North Carolina, U.S.A. – The Holocaust had an obvious impact on the lives of millions of Jews during the ‘40s, but it also influenced culture, and that effect is at the heart of the film Woman in Gold. Woman in Gold explores the struggle of a Holocaust survivor to regain a family treasure stolen by the Nazis during the Anschluss of Austria, or when Hitler annexed Austria in 1938, unifying it … Read entire article »

Filed under: art, Holocaust, Movie reviews, movies, Rahul Krishnaswamy, reviews

Lessons From “Miss Representation”

Lessons From “Miss Representation”

By Brianna Ramos Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOWELL, New Jersey, U.S.A. – Miss Representation is one film that every woman, many and child needs to see. From America’s earliest days, the nation has been a patriarchy. We have had zero women presidents, and only a couple dozen women governors. Women are not seen as important. They’re viewed as too “emotional” or too “weak” to hold powerful positions. This stereotype not only degrades women, but is also damaging to men. Modern media … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brianna Ramos, Movie reviews, movies, reviews

Avengers: Age Of Ultron A Disappointment

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – I don’t know anyone who likes superhero movies more than me. So while I eagerly went to see Avengers: Age of Ultron, the film left me thoroughly disappointed in director Joss Whedon’s lack of creativity. The second in the Avengers franchise, Age of Ultron grouped back some of Marvel’s most popular superheroes to fight against an Artificial Intelligence trying to destroy the world and bring about the extinction … Read entire article »

Filed under: movie review, movies, Sydney Hallett

She’s ‘Divergent’ On ‘Insurgent,’ But Ultimately Finds Sequel Enjoyable

Publicity photo from the Divergent Series Facebook page By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – Nowadays there seems to be a theme running throughout Hollywood. Movie producers have figured out that if you take a popular young adult novel and turn it into a film, along comes a pre-made fan base, and therefore many bodies to fill up cinema seats. When it came to viewing Insurgent, the second installment of the dystopian Divergentseries based on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, film review, Lauren Pope, movie review, movies, review, reviews, United Kingdom

At 30, ‘The Breakfast Club’ Still Trustworthy

From the official Facebook page for the film, The Breakfast Club By Hannah Amaral Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International SPARKILL, New York, U.S.A. – The famous film The Breakfast Club this year celebrates 30 years since hitting theaters in 1985. The film will be shown in select cinemas across the country towards the end of March for a limited time. Directed by John Hughes, this iconic film stars Molly Ringwald, Judd Nelson, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Hannah Amaral, movies, reviews

The Annual Oscars Disappointment

The Annual Oscars Disappointment

Jonathan Lee / youthjournalism.org By Jonathan Lee Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International EL PASO, Texas, U.S.A. – The Oscars – whether you’re a movie person or not, you’ve probably heard of this prestigious award show. You’ve also probably been sorely disappointed by the results. Maybe you were rooting for the reclusive Song of the Sea to win top honors for best animated feature film, or maybe the fast-paced jazz-inspired movie, Whiplash to take the cake. Whatever it may be, it seemed … Read entire article »

Filed under: Academy Awards, awards, El Paso, Jonathan Lee, movies, Oscars, Texas, U.S.A.

‘The DUFF,’ A Realistic View Of High School

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri – Most high school movies tell you absolutely nothing about high school and give students unrealistic expectations about freshman through senior year. Whether students burst out into song, get into drama with different cliques, or are run over by a school bus, most movies don’t help with an eighth grader’s fear of high school. The DUFF, to be released Friday, Feb. 20, breaks away from stereotypical high school movies … Read entire article »

Filed under: Missouri, movie review, movies, Oakville, review, reviews, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

‘American Sniper’ Takes Aim At A Legend

‘American Sniper’ Takes Aim At A Legend

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – With six Oscar nominations, American Sniper – directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Bradley Cooper – recounts the story of Chris Kyle, a celebrated sniper known for his accuracy and skill during the war in Iraq. One might mistake it for an action-filled army movie where there’s more weaponry, tanks and military strategy than anything else. Although American Sniper is not totally devoid of military action, it is strictly … Read entire article »

Filed under: American Sniper, Arooj Khalid, Bradley Cooper, Chris Kyle, Clint Eastwood, movie review, movies, review, reviews

‘The Woman In Black 2,’ Only Barely Scary

By Sara O’Hagan Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International DERRY, Northern Ireland – Just like the first, The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death provides more of a creepy and eerie atmosphere than that of a ghastly horror film. Director Tom Harper portrays the scenes as dark and grueling, but it seemed short on scares. It’s set during WWII, 40 years after Arthur Kips left the eerie countryside – now the deserted town of Crythin Gifford. Eve Parkins and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Derry, movie review, movies, Northern Ireland, reviews, Sara O'Hagan

Don’t Bother Going Into The Woods, Unless You’re Bringing A Little Kid With You

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – When I first heard about Into the Woods, I had high hopes. I had listened to the original Broadway cast soundtrack a couple months before I saw it and was quite excited for a movie adaptation of the 1985 musical. With good reviews, a MetaScore of 70 and a 72 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, I was really excited to see the movie. I love musicals in general, so Into … Read entire article »

Filed under: Missouri, movie review, movies, Oakville, reviews, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

Bittersweet ‘Night At The Museum’

Bittersweet ‘Night At The Museum’

Official photo from Night at the Museum Facebook page. By Tasman Anderson Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISBANE, Australia – Watching Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb was like a dagger to my heart – metaphorically, of course. It wasn’t that it was a bad film or anything like that. No, it was that the film showcased the last performances – at least that have been released – of two incredibly talented actors, Robin Williams and Mickey Rooney. Night … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Brisbane, movie review, movies, reviews, Tasman Anderson

‘The Interview’ Is Bad – But In A Good Way

From a Facebook page for The Interview By Tasman Anderson Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISBANE, Australia – After months of controversy, The Interview has finally been released to the public and I’ll say the wait was worth it. For those who‘ve been living under a rock and have no idea what the movie is about, The Interview focuses on Dave Skylark, played by James Franco, and producer Aaron Rapoport, played by Seth Rogan, who land an interview for their … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Brisbane, movie review, movies, review, reviews, Tasman Anderson

Bittersweet Life Lessons Of ‘Aftershock’

By Van Nguyen Reporter Youth Journalism International NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts, U.S.A. – In the summer of 1976, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake killed more than 200,000 people in the city of Tangshan in northeastern China. Although it lasted only 23 seconds, the disaster caused the most casualties in the 20th century. Aftershocks continued to bury the lives of the people trapped in the rubble 15 hours later. Reconstructing the most terrible earthquake of China in the 20th century, the 2010 movie … Read entire article »

Filed under: China, earthquake, Massachusetts, movie review, movies, Northampton, review, reviews, U.S.A., United States, Van Nguyen

‘The Interview’ Must Go On

‘The Interview’ Must Go On

By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Hollywood is no stranger to political satire. Poking fun at foreign leadership has been a tradition of comedy films ever since Rufus T. Firefly took over the nation of Freedonia in the Marx Brothers’ 1933 comedy Duck Soup. One of the greatest comedies ever made, Stanley Kubrick’s Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, came out in 1964 during the height of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, Boston, Bristol, Connecticut, movies, North Korea, U.S.A.