» education

Pakistan Must Protect Students From Terror

By Amber Shakil Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – As I walked through the corridor of my university department today, a friend told me the shocking news that terrorists had attacked another university in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. I didn’t believe her. I called my mother, who was already listening to the news and she confirmed it. This time it was Bacha Khan University in Charsadda, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, in the northwestern part of Pakistan, not very far from the border … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amber Shakil, education, Pakistan, terrorism

To Get A Good Education In Nigeria, Students Turn To Private Schools

By Linus Okechukwu Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International AGYARAGU, Lafia, Nasarawa State, Nigeria – While nearly all his childhood friends had absorbing stories of their new journey to private primary schools, Samson Yusuf, 20, had little to share. His tales lacked in novelty, and his experience rather too awful to be told. Yusuf, who is currently preparing to take his West African Senior Secondary School Certificate Examination, listened to spellbinding stories his friends had of their new teachers, classmates, … Read entire article »

Filed under: education, Linus Okechukwu, Nigeria, Nsukka

In Islam, Going To School Is An Act Of Jihad. The Taliban’s Terrorism Is Not.

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The terrorist attack on Peshawar on December 16 was one of the most ruthless and cruel acts of the Taliban I have ever known. The attack itself was enough to shake the length and breadth of Pakistan, but its aftermath had yet to follow. Soon after the attack on the Peshawar school, all educational institutions in the Punjab province of Pakistan and other parts of the country … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, journalism, Lahore, Pakistan, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Malala Represents All Who Fight Injustice

By Nadia Rogovsky Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International BUENOS AIRES, Argentina – The youngest person to ever receive a Nobel Peace Prize, 17-year-old Malala Yousafzai – a Pakistani activist for education – is an inspiration to people all over the world. I like to think that Malala does not only stand in representation of the women of Pakistan, she also stands in representation of all the women who are fighting or have ever fought against discrimination and injustice. As a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Argentina, Buenos Aires, education, Malala Yousafzai, Nadia Rogovsky, Nobel Prize winner, Pakistan, Taliban, terrorism

Missing Nigerian Girls Not Forgotten; Students Renew Calls For Their Rescue

Festus Iyorah / youthjournalism.org Nigerian girls hold signs with 179 to remember the 179 days the kidnapped girls from Chibok have been held by terrorists who abducted them in April. These children attended a talk with former Nigerian Education Minister Obiageli Ezekwesilieze at in Ibadan. By Festus Iyorah Reporter Youth Journalism International IBADAN, Oyo State, Nigeria – Though the visibility of the “Bring Back Our Girls” campaign has declined, girls here haven’t forgotten nearly hundreds of girls kidnapped by … Read entire article »

Filed under: #BringBackOurGirls, Boko Haram, education, Festus Iyorah, Ibadan, Nigeria, Oyo State, terrorism

Safety Is Syrian School’s Biggest Challenge

Ghazal Al Tabaa / youthjournalism.org The Little Village School outside of Damascus, Syria. In 2012, the school relocated to a new location inside the city for safety reasons. By Leen Othman  Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International DAMASCUS, Syria – The ministry of education in Syria has a key motto: We raise, then teach. It is a sentence that all teachers have reiterated to our ears over the years, all confirming the one idea that they raise generations before teaching rudimentary sciences.  Even … Read entire article »

Filed under: Damascus, education, Leen Othman, Little Village School, Syria, War

Burka Avenger Is Perfect Superhero For Pakistan And Great Role Model For Girls

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – “Don’t mess with the lady in black, when she’s on the attack!” This is the theme song for Jiya, Pakistan’s first female super-hero, Burka Avenger. The cartoon hero Jiya is a simple school teacher who lost her parents at an early age and was brought up by a kabbadi master, who teaches her a new form of fighting, “Takht Kabbadi” which uses books and pens as weapons to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Burka Avenger, education, Lahore, Pakistan, superhero

Striking Professors Keep Eager Students Out Of Class At Nigeria’s Public Universities

Linus Okechukwu / youthjournalism.org Yohanna Obadiah, who is in his first year of biology education at the Nasarawa State University in Keffi, is sick of the strike that has kept him out of class for almost five months. By Linus Okechukwu Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAFIA, Nasarawa, Nigeria – Hyacienth Onah is increasingly becoming frustrated, despondent and disillusioned. Onah, a physics student in his final year at the Federal University of Agriculture in  Makurdi, just wants to be in class. … Read entire article »

Filed under: college, education, Lafia, Linus Okechukwu, Nasarawa, Nigeria

Linus Okechukwu / youthjournalism.org Yohanna Obadiah, who is in his first year of biology education at the Nasarawa State University in Keffi, is sick of the strike that has kept him out of class for almost five months. By Linus Okechukwu Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAFIA, Nasarawa, Nigeria – Hyacienth Onah is increasingly becoming frustrated, despondent and disillusioned. Onah, a physics student in his final year at the Federal University of Agriculture in  Makurdi, just wants to be in class. He would have … Read entire article »

Outrage Should Stir Action To Stop Taliban

By Madison Pollard Reporter Youth Journalism International LONDON, England – There was public outrage when the story broke that the Taliban had stopped a bus in Swat, Pakistan, and shot a teenage girl in the head. Further outrage ensued when it was revealed that she was targeted because she believed that girls should have the right to an education. Malala Yousafzai is a 14-year-old Pakistani, known for her political activism. When the Taliban seized control of the Swat Valley … Read entire article »

Filed under: education, England, Islam, London, Madison Pollard, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Taliban

In Targeting Malala, Taliban Attacked Islam

By Mehran Shamit Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – The assassination attempt on Malala Yousafzai by the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan was nothing more than an attack on Islam. The 14-year-old education rights activist from Swat Valley and Pakistan’s National Peace Prize winner was shot by the Taliban because she spoke out against Taliban atrocities and fought for girls’ education, a fundamental right that she is entitled to in Islam. The Taliban’s baseless justification for targeting Yousafzai was “because of her … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, education, Islam, Malala Yousafzai, Mehran Shamit, Muslims, Pakistan, Taliban, Toronto