» nonviolence

Holding Inspiration In My Hand, Managing Loss, And Realizing What’s Important

youthjournalism.org The rock that Nelba Márquez-Greene gave to Matthew Albrecht   By Matthew Albrecht Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – I met many inspiring people at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday, but one woman stood out.  Nelba Márquez-Greenelost her daughter Ana in the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown in 2012. In her grief, she founded The Ana Grace Project, which works to keeps Ana’s memory alive and spread the message, “Love Wins.”  I had the good fortune … Read entire article »

Filed under: Connecticut, Featured, Hartford, Matthew Albrecht, Nelba Márquez-Greene, Newtown, nonviolence, peace, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, U.S.A.

Shot Six Times At 15, But He Forgave

Shot Six Times At 15, But He Forgave

By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Holding grudges seems to be a natural talent for many people, and sometimes it seems reasonable. Imagine how justifiable it must seem to hold a grudge against someone who shot you six times. And yet, that’s not what Hashim Garrett did. Garrett, who spoke at the Peace in Connecticut conference for nonviolence at Trinity College on Thursday, talked about the power of forgiveness. Garrett’s story starts with his troubled … Read entire article »

Filed under: Mugdha Gurram, nonviolence, peace, shooting, shootings, Trinity College, violence

Using His Own Troubled Past To Lead Inner City Youth Away From Violence And Gangs

By Mugdha Gurram Reporter Youth Journalism International HARTFORD, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Taking another person’s life indisputably changes a person. When Kenny Jackson found himself in prison after shooting someone at point-blank range, he was in the same situation as a lot of inner-city youths. But he said he came out of this experience as a better man. After spending 14 years behind bars, he told an audience at the Peace in Connecticut conference Thursday that he regrets his decisions, but … Read entire article »

Filed under: Bridgeport, Connecticut, Hartford, Mugdha Gurram, nonviolence, peace, U.S.A.

Dalai Lama Calls For New Era Of Peace

The Dalai Lama (Pushkal Shiva/youthjournalism.org) By Pushkal Shivam Senior reporter Youth Journalism International MUMBAI, India – With a wave of his hand, the Dalai Lama said that his generation “is ready to say goodbye” after living through a century that became “the center of bloodshed.”The Dalai Lama, 75, told Youth Journalism International that those who are under 20 today belong to a new century that “should be the center of dialogue” so that it can be more peaceful for everyone.“We must try to solve these problems through dialogue. That’s the human way,” the Nobel Peace Prize-winning Tibetan spiritual leader said during a recent visit to Mumbai.The Dalai Lama said “the new shape” the world will take is on “youths’ shoulder.”“You should have realistic vision. That’s very important,” he said. Click here to read the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Dalai Lama, Mumbai, nonviolence, Pushkal Shivam