» Muslims

Terror hurts Muslims, too

Terror hurts Muslims, too

By Hila Yosafi Youth Journalism International STORRS, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) At about 9 a.m., my friend IMs me as I’m printing something for class: “Turn on the TV!” WOW. I see the first fire starting in one of the towers — a live picture. It didn’t sink into me. A plane crashed. Maybe I’m just such a pacifist that it didn’t even occur to me it was a hijacking. Ii just thought it was kinda ironic that it crashed … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Connecticut, Hila Yosafi, Islam, Muslims, Storrs, terrorism

Muslim American teen grieves with Orlando

By Diana Awawdeh Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TINLEY PARK, Illinois, U.S.A. – The attack early Sunday at Pulse, a gay nightclub in Orlando – the deadliest mass shooting in U.S. history – is affecting everyone all over the country. As a Muslim American, I am disgusted by the behavior of the shooter, Omar Mateen and ISIS. Islam is a religion of peace and does not deal with any violence. ISIS and its supporters use Islam as an excuse … Read entire article »

Filed under: bigotry, Diane Awawdeh, gay pride, human rights, Islam, Muslim-American, Muslims, Orlando, religion, religious freedom, terrorism, Tinley Park

Victims In Paris Attack Are Wrongly Being Used Worldwide As Political Pawns

By Emily Couch Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International COTLEIGH, Devon, England – Seventeen individuals died during Paris’s horrific three days of terror, 17 people from families who each mourn the loss of a father, son, daughter or relation. Whatever the circumstances, death is shattering for those left behind.  With this in mind, I want to pose a question: how would you feel if your loved one was lost under that weighty millstone, the symbolism of his … Read entire article »

Filed under: Al Qaeda, Cotleigh, Devon, Emily Couch, free speech, Islam, journalism, Muslims, terrorism, U.K., United Kingdom

Was A Muslim Student Stabbed To Death For Wearing A Hijab In Immigrant-Friendly UK?

By Martina Ghinetti Reporter Youth Journalism International CAMBRIDGE, United Kingdom – While the video of British Muslims dancing to the “Happy” tune by Pharrell Williams has gone viral and has sparked a lot of controversy among Muslim communities here in England and abroad, not many have heard the name of Nahid Almanea in the news. Nahid Almanea was a 31-year-old student at the University of Essex who was stabbed to death June 17 while walking to attend a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Cambridge, Islam, Italy, Martina Ghinetti, murder, Muslim, Muslim students, Muslims, U.K., United Kingdom

In Targeting Malala, Taliban Attacked Islam

By Mehran Shamit Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – The assassination attempt on Malala Yousafzai by the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan was nothing more than an attack on Islam. The 14-year-old education rights activist from Swat Valley and Pakistan’s National Peace Prize winner was shot by the Taliban because she spoke out against Taliban atrocities and fought for girls’ education, a fundamental right that she is entitled to in Islam. The Taliban’s baseless justification for targeting Yousafzai was “because of her … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, education, Islam, Malala Yousafzai, Mehran Shamit, Muslims, Pakistan, Taliban, Toronto

As Muslim, 9/11 ‘Beginning Of All My Worries’

By Jessica Elsayed Senior reporter Youth Journalism International GRANVILLE, Ohio – Last week in my college political science class my professor passed out a sheet of paper with a question: “What comes to mind when you hear the word Arab?” She asked us not to write our names on the paper and after she had collected them our class discovered some people also had a different paper that said, “What comes to mind when you hear the word Muslim/Islam?” There is no need to repeat the responses we got, merely because I think we all have an idea of what they were. Terrorist. Extremist. Violence. Oppression. Al Qaeda. Bin Laden. Being away from home for college and being the only Arab does two things to you. One, it makes you homesick and proud of being who … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9/11, Islam, Jessica Elsayed, Muslims, terrorism

By Jessica Elsayed Senior reporter Youth Journalism International GRANVILLE, Ohio– Last week in my college political science class my professor passed out asheet of paper with a question: “What comes to mind when you hear the wordArab?” She asked usnot to write our names on the paper and after she had collected them our class discoveredsome people also had a different paper that said, “What comes to mind when youhear the word Muslim/Islam?” There is noneed to repeat the responses we got, merely because I think we all have an ideaof what they were. Terrorist. Extremist. Violence. Oppression. Al Qaeda. BinLaden. Being away fromhome for college and being the only Arab does two things to you. One, it makesyou homesick and proud of being who you are. Two, it makes you self-consciousto see what kind of … Read entire article »