» Auschwitz

National Holocaust Memorial Museum Delivers Painfully Sad Lessons

By Sydney Hallett Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International WASHINGTON, D.C. – Though we learned about the Holocaust every year in English or history class, we never really went in depth. I wanted to know more. Touring the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum during my visit to Washington gave me the perfect opportunity. I did not know what to expect as our group stepped into the museum elevator, but once the video started playing, I knew this museum was going to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, history, Holocaust, Sydney Hallett, terrorism, travel, War, Washington D.C., World War II

Seventy Years After Its Liberation, Auschwitz Is Still Chilling To This Young Visitor

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The fence around Auschwitz, which was electrified when the camp was in operation. Desperate prisoners sometimes made a suicidal run at the fence to escape the horrors of the concentration camp. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International OSWIECIM, Poland – No words can truly describe what visiting Auschwitz is like. Even now, months after I spent time, there, I still struggle to comprehend what I saw and heard. I suppose it’s because I never really … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Featured, history, Holocaust, Myah Guild, Poland, terrorism, travel, World War II

Bitterness In The Land Of Milk And Honey

Eli Winter / youthjournalism.org The sun rises over the ancient fort of Masada. By Eli WinterSenior Reporter Youth Journalism International ISRAEL – Israel is a country at once captivating and challenging, truly devastating in its beauty. Everywhere you look, there’s a view that looks like it was made to be put on the front side of a postcard.  There’s the sunrise at the ancient fort of Masada, the sun’s reflection off of the Sea of Galilee, the gorgeous Baha’i … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Eli Winter, Houston, Israel, Negev Desert, Texas, travel, United States, Wailing Wall

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Nicole Hendry / Youth Journalism International The entrance gate to the main Auschwitz camp and its infamous sign By Nicole Hendry Junior reporter Youth Journalism International OSWIECIM, Poland — Walking through the gates of the former Auschwitz concentration camp, it was really quite hard to comprehend the true extent of the terror suffered by well over a million who trod the same ground.????????The message that looms over the gates reads Arbeit Macht Frei (Freedom Through Work). In the eerie stillness of the camp, the sign remains as a bleak reminder of the Nazi regime, one of the world’s most brutal dictatorships. It is impossible not to feel moved by this place, which is bursting with stories, with the lives and deaths that played out within its walls.Following a guide, we walked through living quarters, beside … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Holocaust, Nazis, Nicole Hendry, racism

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over

Auschwitz: It’s Not Over