» Poland

Brexit is personal to Polish student in UK

Parliament. Photo by Yelena Samofalova/youthjournalism.org By Joanna Koter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International   WHITBY, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom – I woke up on Friday, June 24 to take my math exam and headed for the bathroom to brush my teeth. I saw my friend, who is Polish too, and lives in the same boarding house. She says to me, “Do you want to hear the news?” I see her face and I instantly know the results of the voting that … Read entire article »

Filed under: England, European Union, Immigration, Joanna Koter, Poland, United Kingdom, voting

Seventy Years After Its Liberation, Auschwitz Is Still Chilling To This Young Visitor

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org The fence around Auschwitz, which was electrified when the camp was in operation. Desperate prisoners sometimes made a suicidal run at the fence to escape the horrors of the concentration camp. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International OSWIECIM, Poland – No words can truly describe what visiting Auschwitz is like. Even now, months after I spent time, there, I still struggle to comprehend what I saw and heard. I suppose it’s because I never really … Read entire article »

Filed under: Auschwitz, Featured, history, Holocaust, Myah Guild, Poland, terrorism, travel, World War II

Krakow: Schindler’s Factory And Much More

Myah Guild / youthjournalism.org A side street in Old Town, Krakow. By Myah Guild Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International Krakow “Beautiful, historic and a good day and night out” 5 stars KRAKOW, Poland – Before we got to Krakow, my friends and I had to establish how to pronounce the name of the place properly. Finding out was easier than we thought, but still left us unsure. We sat with four Polish people on the train, and found the answer not as helpful as … Read entire article »

Filed under: Krakow, Myah Guild, Poland, travel

Discovering Poland: My Lessons Begin In Flight

Note to readers: Longtime Youth Journalism International reporter Rachel Glogowski of Bristol, Connecticut, USA, is traveling to Poland, where her family originates. She plans to share her journey with us in photos and text as she visits family, experiences customs, sees the countryside and teaches in a camp for Polish youth. This is her first installment. Please check back for updates. By Rachel Glogowski Associate Editor Youth Journalism International GDANSK, Poland – I’m a pretty big believer in the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Discovering Poland, Excellence in Journalism Contest, Gdansk, Poland, Rachel Glogowski, Warsaw

Note to readers: Longtime Youth Journalism International reporter Rachel Glogowski of Bristol, Connecticut, USA, is traveling to Poland, where her family originates. She plans to share her journey with us in photos and text as she visits family, experiences customs, sees the countryside and teaches in a camp for Polish youth. This is her first installment. Please check back for updates. By Rachel Glogowski Associate Editor Youth Journalism International GDANSK, Poland – I’m a pretty big believer in the phrase “You learn something new every day.”So, it should come as no surprise that I’d admit to learning something new today, my first time traveling out of the country (unless you count a one-day hiatus to the British Virgin Islands, and I’m not sure you should). However, I learned perhaps more little random tidbits of … Read entire article »