» Taliban

Congested Roads Mean Return To Normalcy In Pakistan After Terror Attack On School

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org A bird’s eye view of congested Jail Road in Lahore, Pakistan, from the overhead pedestrian bridge near Kinnaird College for Women.  By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Today all the colleges, schools and universities finally opened after the temporary closure following the Taliban’s Dec. 16 terrorist attack on the school in Peshawar. That meant a lot of traffic this morning as people were getting to school. Jail Road in Lahore is one of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

In Islam, Going To School Is An Act Of Jihad. The Taliban’s Terrorism Is Not.

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The terrorist attack on Peshawar on December 16 was one of the most ruthless and cruel acts of the Taliban I have ever known. The attack itself was enough to shake the length and breadth of Pakistan, but its aftermath had yet to follow. Soon after the attack on the Peshawar school, all educational institutions in the Punjab province of Pakistan and other parts of the country … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, journalism, Lahore, Pakistan, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Pakistan School Attack: How Should We Respond To Those Who Speak In Violence?

By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – Today in Pakistan the Taliban struck again, with the same merciless manner some have been forced to know all too well. While many across the world went about their daily lives, studying their different subjects and conversing with friends, others were not so lucky. The most recent reports say 132 children and nine staff members were killed at a school in Peshawar. If my classmates and I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, Lauren Pope, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Peshawar, Taliban, terrorism, United Kingdom

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Children are the angels of heaven. They are innocent little flowers, their smiles can soften even the coldest hearts. That is what I knew and believed to be true, but today’s heinous event has turned everything upside down. The Taliban attacked a school in Peshawar and the result is more than 130 students dead. This is no terrorist attack. It’s an attack on humanity, it’s an attack on myself.I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, Pakistan, Peshawar, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Malala Represents All Who Fight Injustice

By Nadia Rogovsky Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International BUENOS AIRES, Argentina – The youngest person to ever receive a Nobel Peace Prize, 17-year-old Malala Yousafzai – a Pakistani activist for education – is an inspiration to people all over the world. I like to think that Malala does not only stand in representation of the women of Pakistan, she also stands in representation of all the women who are fighting or have ever fought against discrimination and injustice. As a … Read entire article »

Filed under: Argentina, Buenos Aires, education, Malala Yousafzai, Nadia Rogovsky, Nobel Prize winner, Pakistan, Taliban, terrorism

Afghans Worry About What Will Happen To Their Country After Troops Leave

By Edrees Kakar  Correspondent  Youth Journalism International  KABUL, Afghanistan – The withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the upcoming Afghan presidential election in 2014 makes it a challenging year for the country.  While there is some level of optimism with the Afghan government for taking responsibility for the security of the country and running a transparent election, there is public concern over the withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the consequences that will follow.   These concerns are mainly … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Edrees Kakar, elections, Kabul, Taliban, War

Afghans Worry About What Will Happen To Their  Country After Troops Leave

By Edrees Kakar Correspondent Youth Journalism International KABUL, Afghanistan – The withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the upcoming Afghan presidential election in 2014 makes it a challenging year for the country. While there is some level of optimism with the Afghan government for taking responsibility for the security of the country and running a transparent election, there is public concern over the withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan and the consequences that will follow.  These concerns are mainly … Read entire article »

Eagerly Casting My Ballot In Pakistan’s History-Making Democratic Election

youthjournalism.org YJI Senior Correspondent Waleed Tariq shows off the purple ink on his thumb that indicates he voted in Pakistan’s elections today.  By Waleed Tariq Senior Correspondent Youth Journalism International KARACHI, Pakistan – National elections are today in Pakistan and it will be the country’s first transfer between two elected, civilian governments. Karachi, like many other parts of the country, is witnessing large number of young people going to exercise their vote for the first time. Similarly, I voted for the first … Read entire article »

Filed under: bombing, democracy, Election Day, elections, Karachi, Pakistan, Taliban, Waleed Tariq

Outrage Should Stir Action To Stop Taliban

By Madison Pollard Reporter Youth Journalism International LONDON, England – There was public outrage when the story broke that the Taliban had stopped a bus in Swat, Pakistan, and shot a teenage girl in the head. Further outrage ensued when it was revealed that she was targeted because she believed that girls should have the right to an education. Malala Yousafzai is a 14-year-old Pakistani, known for her political activism. When the Taliban seized control of the Swat Valley … Read entire article »

Filed under: education, England, Islam, London, Madison Pollard, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Taliban

In Targeting Malala, Taliban Attacked Islam

By Mehran Shamit Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – The assassination attempt on Malala Yousafzai by the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan was nothing more than an attack on Islam. The 14-year-old education rights activist from Swat Valley and Pakistan’s National Peace Prize winner was shot by the Taliban because she spoke out against Taliban atrocities and fought for girls’ education, a fundamental right that she is entitled to in Islam. The Taliban’s baseless justification for targeting Yousafzai was “because of her … Read entire article »

Filed under: Canada, education, Islam, Malala Yousafzai, Mehran Shamit, Muslims, Pakistan, Taliban, Toronto

Taliban’s Attack On Teen Girl ‘Unbelievable’

By Tamar Gorgadze Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International LORTON, Virginia, U.S.A. – When first reading the news about Malala Yousafazi, all I could do was ponder on about millions of other girls worldwide who have tried to be as courageous as her and instead of being respected and honored for making a positive impact in their country, they have been treated unfairly and cruelly. Last week, the Taliban hunted down this proponent of girls’ education who is just 14, … Read entire article »

Filed under: education, Lorton, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Taliban, Tamar Gorgadze, U.S.A., Virginia

Pakistanis Blame Taliban, Government For Attack On 14-Year-Old Malala Yousafzai

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org The girls’ campus of the Crescent Model Higher Secondary School in Lahore, Pakistan. The school offers classes from first through 12th grade and is considered one of the best in the city. By Waleed Tariq Correspondent Youth Journalism International KARACHI, Pakistan – People interviewed here recently expressed sorrow and anger over the Taliban’s assault on 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai last week. “Honestly I think this is nothing but a cowardly action by the ruthless self-appointed guardians of religion … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, Karachi, Lahore, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, SZABIST, Taliban, Waleed Tariq

Pakistan Prays For Malala, Against Taliban

By Arooj Khalid Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Across the length and breadth of Pakistan at noon today, people prayed, whether they were at home, school, an office, a mosque or wherever they happened to be. All of them prayed for the same thing: the recovery of 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai, who is lying unconscious in a military hospital after a Taliban gunman shot her three days ago on the way home from school. Thinking of Gul Makai, the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, Lahore, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Taliban

Malala Yousafzai’s Brave Voice Is Heard

Malala Yousafzai’s Brave Voice Is Heard

By Charles Perosino Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International TOLLAND, Connecticut, U.S.A. – A Taliban gunman shot 14-year-old Malala Yousafzai yesterday in Pakistan, gravely wounding her. He hunted Yousafzai down after she publicly expressed support for girls’ education, as well as admiration for U.S. President Barack Obama.  The Taliban, which claims to defend conservative values in Pakistan and Afghanistan, has stated that Yousafzai was a trouble to the region for attempting to spread “Western influence.” Education is an important value to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Charles Perosino, Connecticut, education, Malala Yousafzai, Pakistan, Taliban, Tolland

Everyone Should Stand Up For Malala

Everyone Should Stand Up For Malala

By Mariah Pulver Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International “If she survives this time, she won’t next time,” a spokesman for the Pakistani Taliban said. “We will certainly kill her.”- CNN Washington, D.C., U.S.A. – I’m a big believer in the saying that actions speak louder than words. But when I read the news about the attack on Malala Yousafzai, I started to believe that maybe words speak louder than actions sometimes.  Malala is a hero, a fighter, and an unbelievably brave … Read entire article »

Filed under: D.C., education, Malala Yousafzai, Mariah Pulver, Pakistan, Taliban, Washington