» music

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

By Noah Kidron-Style Correspondent Youth Journalism International   AUSTIN, Texas, U.S.A. – Director Asif Kapadia’s powerful documentary Amy begins with home-video footage of a 14-year-old Amy Winehouse singing “Happy Birthday” to her childhood best friend Lauren Gilbert.  Sadly, we already know how the story ends. The cause of death was later revealed to be accidental alcohol poisoning, and for Winehouse’s millions of fans across the world it felt almost like losing a member of the family. As tributes flooded in, fans paid … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amy Winehouse, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, music, music review, Noah Kidron-Style

Lady Gaga Deserved The Standing Ovation For Her Stirring ‘Sound Of Music’ Tribute

By Ives Cupino Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International OCONTO FALLS, Wisconsin, U.S.A. – Pop star Lady Gaga performed a stunning tribute to The Sound of Music and its star Julie Andrews at the 2015 Oscars. Sans meat dress – her infamous costume at a 2010 music awards ceremony – Gaga opted instead for an elegant, flowing white gown. Although she was without her antics, Gaga’s performance Sunday night was memorable in its own right – and as it should … Read entire article »

Filed under: awards, Ives Cupino, music, Oscars, reviews

Feminism And The Beyoncé Paradox

Feminism And The Beyoncé Paradox

By Johanna Boedenauer Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NORCROSS, Georgia, U.S.A. – Most people don’t realize they’re feminists. Perhaps writer Lena Dunham, who created and stars in the hit HBO series “Girls,” said it best in a 2013 interview with news website Metro, “Do you believe that women should be paid the same for doing the same jobs? Do you believe that women should be allowed to leave the house? Do you think that women and men both … Read entire article »

Filed under: Beyoncé, feminism, Georgia, Johanna Boedenauer, music, Norcross, U.S.A.

The Best Hipster Music Of 2012. Really.

The Best Hipster Music Of 2012. Really.

By Eli Winter Reporter YouthJournalism International HOUSTON, Texas – Here’s an overview of my favorite hipster music for 2012. Best Albums “Four”—Bloc Party  This album’s title comes from a pretty obvious fact: that it’s the fourth album made by Bloc Party. While its name isn’t terribly original, the music is, and it’s naturally – at least for the most part – extremely well done. Its songs feature a variety of opposites: urgent-sounding and relaxed guitars, begging and yelping vocals, calm and driving … Read entire article »

Filed under: Eli Winter, Houston, music, reviews

The Best Hipster Music Of 2012. Really.

The Best Hipster Music Of 2012. Really.

The Best Hipster Music Of 2012. Really.

The Best Hipster Music Of 2012. Really.

By Eli Winter Reporter YouthJournalism International HOUSTON, Texas – Here’s an overview of my favorite hipster music for 2012. Best Albums “Four”—Bloc Party  This album’s title comes from a pretty obvious fact: that it’s the fourth album made by Bloc Party. While its name isn’t terribly original, the music is, and it’s naturally – at least for the most part – extremely well done. Its songs feature a variety of opposites: urgent-sounding and relaxed guitars, begging and yelping vocals, calm and driving bass … Read entire article »

Newtown Shootings Spur Song By Sad Teen

By Tearza Foyston Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International CHANDLER, Arizona, U.S.A. – I never really thought of myself as a songwriter until last Friday. It was just another normal day until a girl in my choir class told me about the shootings that morning in Connecticut. At first I felt sad, but I had no idea about the number of children killed. When I heard the details later, as an older sister and friend to many with younger siblings, my heart broke. I posted a status on Facebook about the tragedy but within 10 second felt disgusted with myself.I told myself, “That was pathetic, Tearza. Yeah, sure, you feel bad but this post is just going to get lost in all the other heartfelt and touching posts everyone else is writing. You can do better! But … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arizona, Chandler, Connecticut, guns, music, Newtown, Sandy Hook Elementary School, school violence, songs, Tearza Foyston

Newtown Shootings Spur Song By Sad Teen

Newtown Shootings Spur Song By Sad Teen

By Tearza Foyston Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International CHANDLER, Arizona, U.S.A. – I never really thought of myself as a songwriter until last Friday. It was just another normal day until a girl in my choir class told me about the shootings that morning in Connecticut. At first I felt sad, but I had no idea about the number of children killed. When I heard the details later, as an older sister and friend to many with younger siblings, my … Read entire article »

Newtown Shootings Spur Song By Sad Teen

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

WEST HARTFORD — Youth Journalism International, a Connecticut nonprofit, has a great opportunity for fans of the hot British boy band One Direction. Anyone who is 21 or younger may enter by writing, in 250 words or less, why you should be picked to win two luxury skybox tickets for the band’s sold out show Friday, Nov. 30 at the Mohegan Sun Arena. The winning entry will also be published by Youth Journalism International – and … Read entire article »

Filed under: 1D, concert tickets, contest, Mohegan Sun, music, music review, One Direction, pop music

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

Win One Direction Concert Tickets? Yes!

From Paradise To The Devil’s Backyard

From Paradise To The Devil’s Backyard

By Talon Bronson Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LOS ANGELES – Hotel rooms, neatly placed Bibles marked with the Gideon’s stamp, and road after road after long pothole-riddled road, winding and ululating like great snakes laid out upon the face of the land. These long roads treat some so kindly, and yet, they can strike angrily at the slightest turn, hissing at you with nothing but malice, and there is where we always seem to lay, right in the … Read entire article »

Filed under: A Thief At Heart, Boulder City, casinos, East Los Angeles, Lake Tahoe, music, Nevada, rock 'n roll, rock and roll, Sparks, Talon Bronson, travel

From Paradise To The Devil’s Backyard

From Paradise To The Devil’s Backyard