» Hila Yosafi

Terror hurts Muslims, too

Terror hurts Muslims, too

By Hila Yosafi Youth Journalism International STORRS, Connecticut — (September 11, 2001) At about 9 a.m., my friend IMs me as I’m printing something for class: “Turn on the TV!” WOW. I see the first fire starting in one of the towers — a live picture. It didn’t sink into me. A plane crashed. Maybe I’m just such a pacifist that it didn’t even occur to me it was a hijacking. Ii just thought it was kinda ironic that it crashed … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9-11, Connecticut, Hila Yosafi, Islam, Muslims, Storrs, terrorism

Looking Back: 9/11 Reactions From Students

We’re one month shy of the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Let’s take a look back at the pieces that Youth Journalism International students wrote on that horrible day: Thousands of reasons to pay attention Katie Jordan: We’ve all been told some adult or another how they felt when they heard about Pearl Harbor or Kennedy’s assassination. We’ve heard them explain what was going through their minds, and we’ve seen the far away looks on their faces as they remember. (OPINION – Sept. 11, 2001) America will rise to the challenge Kaishi Lee: Let’s face it. America’s in a frenzy after another terrorist attack. Now, why, of all countries, did terrorists choose America? (OPINION – Sept. 11, 2001) Chemistry, poetry and World War III? Mike Nguyen: I was thinking Independence Day, of the Empire State Building … Read entire article »

Filed under: 9/11, Hila Yosafi, Kaishi Lee, Melissa Luna, Mike Nguyen