» sports

Afghan Girls Soccer Team Wins Hearts

Afghan Girls Soccer Team Wins Hearts

By Katie Jordan Youth Journalism International SIMSBURY, Conn., USA — To most teens, summer camp is nothing out of the ordinary. But last week eight girls from Afghanistan wound up the summer camp experience of a lifetime. The girls, who are as young as 11 and as old as 16, came all the way from Kabul to attend a sports and leadership camp in Connecticut, sponsored by the Afghan Youth Sports Exchange, a non-profit organization. Living at the Ethel Walker … Read entire article »

Filed under: Afghanistan, Katie Jordan, Soccer, sports

Push For National Women’s Australian Rules Football League Is Gaining Ground

Alyce Collett / youthjournalism.org The Demons and the Western Bulldogs faced off at the Melbourne Cricket Ground in the Women’s Australian Football League match this week. By Alyce Collett Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International MELBOURNE, Australia – This week marked an important first step toward national Australian Rules football competition for women, with the first of two matches this year between teams made up of the best 50 female players in the country. The rules and regulations of these matches are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alyce Collett, Australia, sports, Women', Women's sports

Excitement Building Among Rugby Fans

Excitement Building Among Rugby Fans

By Felicity Rodger Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International EDINBURGH, United Kingdom – A game of passion, rivalry and pride, rugby is loved by fans across the world. Every four years, these fans gather to witness the greats of the sport battle to win the Webb Ellis Cup, named for a young English school boy who is credited with creating rugby.This competition is the equivalent of the FIFA World Cup for a footballer or the Olympics for a sprinter – … Read entire article »

Filed under: Edinburgh, Felicity Rodger, opinion, rugby, sports, United Kingdom, World Cup

Equal Coverage Needed In Women’s Sports

Equal Coverage Needed In Women’s Sports

By Alyce Collett Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International MELBOURNE, Australia – It’s International Women’s Day, and gender equality is getting better here in Australia, but there is one major area of society that is lagging behind: sports coverage. Sport is massive in Australia, but not many people realize that women play what are usually considered male sports, and how many women play these sports. These include Australian Rules Football, cricket, rugby and soccer. In Australia, all national men’s leagues … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alyce Collett, Australia, Holidays, International Women's Day, Melbourne, sports, women's rights

Insider’s Guide: Making The Most Of Your Year As A Foreign Exchange Student

Photo provided Getting involved in a sport can be a way to learn about your host country and make new friends. Here, senior members of the spring track team at E.O. Smith High School in Storrs, Connecticut include Nathaly Gracia Rodriguez of Ecador. From left: Meghan Powers, Jessica Li, Emily Tomanelli, Nina Franzen, Emily Sweeney, Michelle Runge, Rodriguez, Codi Bierce and Cassie Schmitt. By Nathaly Gracia Rodriguez Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International PUERTO DE MANTA, Manabi, Ecuador – If you’re lucky enough to be a foreign … Read entire article »

Filed under: Ecuador, Insider's Guide to High School, Nathaly Gracia Rodriguez, Puerto De Manta, sports

Despite Its Flaws, These Brazilian Youth Are Loving The Excitement Of The World Cup

Maria Luiza Lago / youthjournalism.org The outside of the rebuilt stadium in Curitiba where some of the World Cup games are being played. By Maria Luiza Lago Junior Reporter YouthJournalism International CURITIBA, Brazil – While they’re excited about World Cup matches being played in their home city, several teenagers also pointed out the downside of hosting a global event. Spending money on keeping World Cup fans happy doesn’t do much for Brazilians, said 18-year-old Gabriela Callegari, an automation control engineering student … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, Maria Luiza Lago, protests, sports, World Cup

Doctors For World Cup Tourists, But Waiting Rooms For Ordinary Brazilian Citizens

By Maria Luiza Lago Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International CURITIBA, Paraná, Brazil – The thousands of tourists who are visiting my city for World Cup matches don’t need to worry if they get sick or injured – but the citizens in need of medical help have reason to be concerned. The World Cup moved to Curitiba, a city in the south of Brazil, on Monday when Iran and Nigeria faced off. The match at the Arena da Baixada stadium … Read entire article »

Filed under: Brazil, Curitiba, football, health care, Maria Luiza Lago, sports, World Cup

Nairobi Football Team’s Biggest Loss Was When Terrorists Killed An Exceptional Girl

Photo provided Nuriana Merali, 15, a rising soccer star at her school, was killed in the terrorist attack on the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya last month. By Nandi Blanchard Junior Reporter  Youth Journalism International  NAIROBI, Kenya – The girls’ football team at the International School of Kenya faced many challenges this season, but the worst opponent wasn’t on the field – the Lions lost a rising star player to the terrorist attack at the Westgate mall.  Freshman Nuriana Merali, who … Read entire article »

Filed under: football, International School of Kenya, Kenya, Nairobi, sports, terrorism

Photo provided Nuriana Merali, 15, a rising soccer star at her school, was killed in the terrorist attack on the Westgate mall in Nairobi, Kenya last month. By Nandi Blanchard Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International NAIROBI, Kenya – The girls’ football team at the International School of Kenya faced many challenges this season, but the worst opponent wasn’t on the field – the Lions lost a rising star player to the terrorist attack at the Westgate mall. Freshman Nuriana Merali, who … Read entire article »

Olympics Truly Are Inspiring A Generation

By Nicole Hendry Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, England – ‘Inspire a generation’ has been coined as the official slogan for the London 2012 Olympics, and that it will.  Undoubtedly, thousands of children will be drawn to sport that had previously shunned it, myself one of them. A previous sport phobic, only donning the trainers for the occasional sponsored run and avoiding P.E. lessons at all costs, I am now inclined to seek out what sports programs my university … Read entire article »

Filed under: England, London, London 2012, Nicole Hendry, Olympics, sports

No Cooperstown For Baseball Cheaters

No Cooperstown For Baseball Cheaters

By Eli Winter Junior Reporter YouthJournalism International HOUSTON — Roger Clemens was acquitted this week of all six counts of lying to Congress about his steroid usage in 2008. He is also on the Baseball Hall of Fame’s ballot this year – for the first time. Many stars will greet him in his chance to be awarded baseball’s highest honor. Among those tagging along for the ride to Cooperstown are Jeff Bagwell, Alan Trammell, Edgar Martinez and Don Mattingly. They also … Read entire article »

Filed under: Barry Bonds, baseball, cheating, Cooperstown, Eli Winter, Hall of Fame, MLB, Roger Clemens, Sammy Sosa, sports, steroids

Cricket Offers Hope And Heartbreak

Cricket Offers Hope And Heartbreak

By Mehran Shamit Reporter Youth Journalism International TORONTO, Canada – At a time when myhomeland of Bangladesh fell into despair, because our leaders could no longergive us anything to hope for or believe in, Bangladesh got into the Asia Cupfinal. We started to believe again and raiseour hopes. But Bangladesh was left heartbrokenafter coming extremely close to winning the Asia Cup in an electrifying matchwith Pakistan at the Sher-e-Bangla National Stadium in Mirpur, Dhaka. Bangladesh’s dream of winning theAsia Cup … Read entire article »

Filed under: Asia Cup, Bangladesh, cricket, Mehran Shamit, sports

At Age 50, Astros Still Waiting To Grow Up

By Eli Winter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON,Texas – The Houston Astros celebrate their 50th year in the major leagues thisseason. This shouldbe a reason for celebration, but it looks to be the Major League Baseball team’smost pathetic exhibition yet. Though youmay think exhibition a bit unusual word choice given that this is not a circusbut a baseball team. Yet the way the Astros played in 2011, you’d expect playersto be shot out of a cannon, one by one, … Read entire article »

Filed under: baseball, Eli Winter, Houston Astros, Majjor League Baseball, sports

By Eli Winter Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International HOUSTON, Texas – The Houston Astros celebrate their 50th year in the major leagues this season. This should be a reason for celebration, but it looks to be the Major League Baseball team’s most pathetic exhibition yet. Though you may think exhibition a bit unusual word choice given that this is not a circus but a baseball team. Yet the way the Astros played in 2011, you’d expect players to be shot … Read entire article »

Spectacle Or Sport? Super Bowl XLVI

Spectacle Or Sport? Super Bowl XLVI

By Madison Pollard Reporter Youth Journalism International LONDON — I will be the first to admit that I have only seen one previous Super Bowl, and that was XLV. As a Steelers fan in London, I stayed up faithfully until 4 a.m. with my sister, a Packers fan, only to have my hopes dashed. So, this year, we have decided to make it a tradition. I’m rooting for the Giants while Caroline roots for the Patriots. But why? To be … Read entire article »

Filed under: football, Madison Pollard, sports, Super Bowl