» Arooj Khalid

Terrorists Poisoned Lahore’s Melting Pot

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Toddlers and children playing around the swings, people celebrating the joyous arrival of spring. It was Easter, a holiday widely celebrated in my city. This seems like the description of a nice evening at the park.  Would that it remained so. A suicide bomber attacked a local park in Lahore around 7 p.m. on Easter Sunday.  More than 60 people lost their lives and more than 300 families are … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, terrorism

A Monument To Pakistani Statehood

A Monument To Pakistani Statehood

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org The Minar-e-Pakistan in Lahore. By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Today the people of Pakistan celebrate Pakistan Day with celebrations across the nation. It’s the 75th anniversary of a resolution that laid the foundation of struggle towards freedom and the formation of Pakistan. On March 23, 1940, the All India Muslim League, the political party for Muslims in what was then India, passed a resolution to consolidate the Muslim majority areas of British … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Holidays, Lahore, Muslim, Pakistan, Pakistan Day

Celebrating Spring In Culture-Rich Pakistan

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org The Jashn-e-Baharan Festival, or spring celebration, is underway in Lahore, Pakistan, with food and craft booths, carnival rides and more. Many more photos are in a slideshow below. By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The spring season brings happiness, color and celebration to our lives. Attractive flowers of various hues, dancing in the fresh rays of sunlight and the clear blue sky, are bearers of glad tidings. Even though some parts of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Holidays, Lahore, Pakistan, spring

‘American Sniper’ Takes Aim At A Legend

‘American Sniper’ Takes Aim At A Legend

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – With six Oscar nominations, American Sniper – directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Bradley Cooper – recounts the story of Chris Kyle, a celebrated sniper known for his accuracy and skill during the war in Iraq. One might mistake it for an action-filled army movie where there’s more weaponry, tanks and military strategy than anything else. Although American Sniper is not totally devoid of military action, it is strictly … Read entire article »

Filed under: American Sniper, Arooj Khalid, Bradley Cooper, Chris Kyle, Clint Eastwood, movie review, movies, review, reviews

Congested Roads Mean Return To Normalcy In Pakistan After Terror Attack On School

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org A bird’s eye view of congested Jail Road in Lahore, Pakistan, from the overhead pedestrian bridge near Kinnaird College for Women.  By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Today all the colleges, schools and universities finally opened after the temporary closure following the Taliban’s Dec. 16 terrorist attack on the school in Peshawar. That meant a lot of traffic this morning as people were getting to school. Jail Road in Lahore is one of … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

In Islam, Going To School Is An Act Of Jihad. The Taliban’s Terrorism Is Not.

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The terrorist attack on Peshawar on December 16 was one of the most ruthless and cruel acts of the Taliban I have ever known. The attack itself was enough to shake the length and breadth of Pakistan, but its aftermath had yet to follow. Soon after the attack on the Peshawar school, all educational institutions in the Punjab province of Pakistan and other parts of the country … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, education, journalism, Lahore, Pakistan, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

School Massacre: An Attack On Humanity

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Children are the angels of heaven. They are innocent little flowers, their smiles can soften even the coldest hearts. That is what I knew and believed to be true, but today’s heinous event has turned everything upside down. The Taliban attacked a school in Peshawar and the result is more than 130 students dead. This is no terrorist attack. It’s an attack on humanity, it’s an attack on myself.I … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, Pakistan, Peshawar, school security, school violence, Taliban, terrorism

Monsoons Turn Lahore Into A Soggy City

Monsoons Turn Lahore Into A Soggy City

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org A motorcyclist navigates a flooded road connecting the Shadman Colony to another part of the city of Lahore. By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Monsoons have always been a big deal in Pakistan. Every year during the summer, in the blazing heat, the people anticipate the heavy rains that will eventually result in cooler weather. But many times, events take a turn which results in floods in rivers and surrounding areas. This … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, dengue fever, flooding, Lahore, monsoon, Pakistan

My World Transformed When I Stepped Onto My New College Campus

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org Students at Kinnaird College for Women in Lahore, Pakistan gather at the “big tree,” a focal point on campus, for academic and social activities. By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – So after all the fun and enjoyment, summer is over. It’s time to pack up your school bags and get prepared to face reality. Last year I had the honor of being a first-year student at Kinnaird College for Women. Where I … Read entire article »

Filed under: advice, Arooj Khalid, Back to School, Insider's Guide to High School, Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore, Pakistan

Nothing Honorable About Barbaric Killing Of Pakistani Woman By Her Own Family

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – A woman married a man she loved. This doesn’t sound like an unpalatable crime. But the family of Farzana Iqbal stoned her to death Tuesday because she did so. Not somewhere in the unknown undeveloped areas, not in secret, but in front of other people, in my city of Lahore, in front of the high court building. Many people might even have ignored this happening because it’s nothing … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Islam, Lahore, murder, Pakistan, women's rights

Spring Is Blooming In Lahore, Pakistan

Spring Is Blooming In Lahore, Pakistan

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org One of the many displays at Race Course Park in Lahore, Pakistan. Story and Photos by Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – The arrival of spring season brings joy for many. Hundreds of flowers bloom to create an atmosphere that feels like a blissful garden of heaven.  Race Course Park, on Jail Road, always stands prominent in celebrations to welcome the season with festivals, fairs, flower decorating contests and exhibitions. Managed by the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, spring

Fireworks In Lahore For Resolution Day

Fireworks In Lahore For Resolution Day

Arooj Khalid / youthjournalism.org  In Lahore, Pakistan, people celebrated Pakistan Resolution Day, held on March 23, with fireworks. The holiday marks the day when the resolution was passed for a separate Muslim homeland, which is Pakistan. At midnight, there were fireworks in Race Course Park in Lahore. YJI photographer Arooj Khalid wasn’t able to go to the park, but got these pictures from her home, where her view was partially obscured by trees and other houses.  Arooj … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Holidays, Lahore, Pakistan, Resolution Day

Craving The Old Mystery In New ‘Sherlock’

BBC Photo John Holmes’ wedding scene in the third season episode, “The Sign of Three.”  By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Sherlock Holmes has been out in the streets, solving crimes for centuries. The BBC resurrected the great detective as a 21st century super sleuth in the television show Sherlock. After the tragic last episode of the second series that ended in a cliffhanger, fans have been waiting for the third season since 2012.  Sherlock Holmes … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Lahore, Pakistan, reviews, Sherlock Holmes

Burka Avenger Is Perfect Superhero For Pakistan And Great Role Model For Girls

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – “Don’t mess with the lady in black, when she’s on the attack!” This is the theme song for Jiya, Pakistan’s first female super-hero, Burka Avenger. The cartoon hero Jiya is a simple school teacher who lost her parents at an early age and was brought up by a kabbadi master, who teaches her a new form of fighting, “Takht Kabbadi” which uses books and pens as weapons to … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Burka Avenger, education, Lahore, Pakistan, superhero

Pakistani Girls Rock Out At Campus Concert

Arooj Khalid / youthjournailsm.org DJ Ezzu on stage at Kinnaird College for Women in Lahore, Pakistan, thrilling the audience. By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – Adorned with beaming, multi-colored stage lights, the amphitheatre of Kinnaird College for Women was ready to rock all night, and I was ready for my first concert. The show, “Reel Around The Year ‘13,” was the closing ceremony for the college’s Business Week, and provided a much-needed break this month … Read entire article »

Filed under: Arooj Khalid, Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore, Pakistan, review, rock 'n roll