» movie review

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

‘Amy’ A Fitting Tribute To Winehouse

By Noah Kidron-Style Correspondent Youth Journalism International   AUSTIN, Texas, U.S.A. – Director Asif Kapadia’s powerful documentary Amy begins with home-video footage of a 14-year-old Amy Winehouse singing “Happy Birthday” to her childhood best friend Lauren Gilbert.  Sadly, we already know how the story ends. The cause of death was later revealed to be accidental alcohol poisoning, and for Winehouse’s millions of fans across the world it felt almost like losing a member of the family. As tributes flooded in, fans paid … Read entire article »

Filed under: Amy Winehouse, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, music, music review, Noah Kidron-Style

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

We’ll Remember Alan Rickman. Always.

By Hafsa Ahmed Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – From a logical standpoint, feeling devastated by the death of an actor seems odd. You’ve never met that person, never talked to them and don’t even know half the things about their real life. All you’ve been exposed to is that actor’s screen persona, their portrayal of a fictional character. But Alan Rickman portrayed his characters so authentically that today, I feel as if I’ve parted from a dear … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Rickman, Alan Rickman, Hafsa Ahmed, Harry Potter, J.K. Rowling, Movie, movie review, Movie reviews, movies

Go Back To The Park With Jurassic World

Go Back To The Park With Jurassic World

By Alan Burkholder Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISTOL, Connecticut, U.S.A. – Kids love dinosaurs. Well, most kids love dinosaurs, anyway. That one simple fact is the reason why, after 22 years, Jurassic Park is still considered a classic movie. The original Jurassic Park, released in 1993, tells the story of a rich scientist named John Hammond who uses biotechnology to bring dinosaurs back to life as exhibits in an amusement park. Long story short, things go wrong, the … Read entire article »

Filed under: Alan Burkholder, film review, Movie, movie review

Avengers: Age Of Ultron A Disappointment

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – I don’t know anyone who likes superhero movies more than me. So while I eagerly went to see Avengers: Age of Ultron, the film left me thoroughly disappointed in director Joss Whedon’s lack of creativity. The second in the Avengers franchise, Age of Ultron grouped back some of Marvel’s most popular superheroes to fight against an Artificial Intelligence trying to destroy the world and bring about the extinction … Read entire article »

Filed under: movie review, movies, Sydney Hallett

Avengers: Even Better In The Age Of Ultron

By Felicity Rodger Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International EDINBURGH, United Kingdom – After enjoying the latest installments from the Marvel Universe – last year’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier and 2012’s The Avengers – I didn’t think it would get any better, but it did. Avengers: Age of Ultron, filled with all the usual characters, is an uplifting film that reinstates the desire to be a superhero. I must give credit to the crew behind the cameras. Every scene had … Read entire article »

Filed under: Felicity Rodger, movie review, reviews

‘Cinderella’ Is An Absolute Ball To Watch

Official Cinderella movie poster By Erin Ashby Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International AMPTHILL, United Kingdom – I’m a fan of all things Disney, so imagine my glee to discover that there would be a live action version of a film that I have loved since childhood. Cinderella is a world-renowned rags to riches story that is adored by millions. Kenneth Branagh directed the remake with Downtown Abbey’s Lily James playing the lead. I had high expectations for Branagh’s directing, he’s … Read entire article »

Filed under: Erin Ashby, movie review, Youth Journalism International

She’s ‘Divergent’ On ‘Insurgent,’ But Ultimately Finds Sequel Enjoyable

Publicity photo from the Divergent Series Facebook page By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – Nowadays there seems to be a theme running throughout Hollywood. Movie producers have figured out that if you take a popular young adult novel and turn it into a film, along comes a pre-made fan base, and therefore many bodies to fill up cinema seats. When it came to viewing Insurgent, the second installment of the dystopian Divergentseries based on … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, film review, Lauren Pope, movie review, movies, review, reviews, United Kingdom

‘The DUFF,’ A Realistic View Of High School

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri – Most high school movies tell you absolutely nothing about high school and give students unrealistic expectations about freshman through senior year. Whether students burst out into song, get into drama with different cliques, or are run over by a school bus, most movies don’t help with an eighth grader’s fear of high school. The DUFF, to be released Friday, Feb. 20, breaks away from stereotypical high school movies … Read entire article »

Filed under: Missouri, movie review, movies, Oakville, review, reviews, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

‘American Sniper’ Takes Aim At A Legend

‘American Sniper’ Takes Aim At A Legend

By Arooj Khalid Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International LAHORE, Pakistan – With six Oscar nominations, American Sniper – directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Bradley Cooper – recounts the story of Chris Kyle, a celebrated sniper known for his accuracy and skill during the war in Iraq. One might mistake it for an action-filled army movie where there’s more weaponry, tanks and military strategy than anything else. Although American Sniper is not totally devoid of military action, it is strictly … Read entire article »

Filed under: American Sniper, Arooj Khalid, Bradley Cooper, Chris Kyle, Clint Eastwood, movie review, movies, review, reviews

‘The Woman In Black 2,’ Only Barely Scary

By Sara O’Hagan Junior Reporter Youth Journalism International DERRY, Northern Ireland – Just like the first, The Woman in Black 2: Angel of Death provides more of a creepy and eerie atmosphere than that of a ghastly horror film. Director Tom Harper portrays the scenes as dark and grueling, but it seemed short on scares. It’s set during WWII, 40 years after Arthur Kips left the eerie countryside – now the deserted town of Crythin Gifford. Eve Parkins and … Read entire article »

Filed under: Derry, movie review, movies, Northern Ireland, reviews, Sara O'Hagan

Don’t Bother Going Into The Woods, Unless You’re Bringing A Little Kid With You

By Sydney Hallett Reporter Youth Journalism International OAKVILLE, Missouri, U.S.A. – When I first heard about Into the Woods, I had high hopes. I had listened to the original Broadway cast soundtrack a couple months before I saw it and was quite excited for a movie adaptation of the 1985 musical. With good reviews, a MetaScore of 70 and a 72 percent on Rotten Tomatoes, I was really excited to see the movie. I love musicals in general, so Into … Read entire article »

Filed under: Missouri, movie review, movies, Oakville, reviews, Sydney Hallett, U.S.A.

Bittersweet ‘Night At The Museum’

Bittersweet ‘Night At The Museum’

Official photo from Night at the Museum Facebook page. By Tasman Anderson Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISBANE, Australia – Watching Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb was like a dagger to my heart – metaphorically, of course. It wasn’t that it was a bad film or anything like that. No, it was that the film showcased the last performances – at least that have been released – of two incredibly talented actors, Robin Williams and Mickey Rooney. Night … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Brisbane, movie review, movies, reviews, Tasman Anderson

‘The Interview’ Is Bad – But In A Good Way

From a Facebook page for The Interview By Tasman Anderson Senior Reporter Youth Journalism International BRISBANE, Australia – After months of controversy, The Interview has finally been released to the public and I’ll say the wait was worth it. For those who‘ve been living under a rock and have no idea what the movie is about, The Interview focuses on Dave Skylark, played by James Franco, and producer Aaron Rapoport, played by Seth Rogan, who land an interview for their … Read entire article »

Filed under: Australia, Brisbane, movie review, movies, review, reviews, Tasman Anderson

Bittersweet Life Lessons Of ‘Aftershock’

By Van Nguyen Reporter Youth Journalism International NORTHAMPTON, Massachusetts, U.S.A. – In the summer of 1976, a 7.8-magnitude earthquake killed more than 200,000 people in the city of Tangshan in northeastern China. Although it lasted only 23 seconds, the disaster caused the most casualties in the 20th century. Aftershocks continued to bury the lives of the people trapped in the rubble 15 hours later. Reconstructing the most terrible earthquake of China in the 20th century, the 2010 movie … Read entire article »

Filed under: China, earthquake, Massachusetts, movie review, movies, Northampton, review, reviews, U.S.A., United States, Van Nguyen

Don’t Expect Much From ‘Mockingjay’ And You Might Not Be Disappointed

Mockingjay publicity photo By Lauren Pope Reporter Youth Journalism International BIRMINGHAM, United Kingdom – As a fan of The Hunger Games trilogy, I had long awaited and much anticipated MockingjayPart 1. A whole year’s worth of anticipation, in fact, but as much as I hate to admit it, the first half of the third installment to the series wasn’t all that great. The film begins just after where Catching Fire– the previous movie – left off, showing Katniss Everdeen … Read entire article »

Filed under: Birmingham, Lauren Pope, movie review, movies, The Hunger Games, U.K., United Kingdom